+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Id love to see a pet thread go by just once without it turning into a p!ssing contest between the ideas of breeders or RSPCA, and without people telling the OP how to raise the dog when they clearly havent asked for any of that information.

OP, IMO any age is fine as long as you supervise. Its really as easy as that
    ^^ totally agree! However I used to b a registered foster carer for the RSPCA and I had multiple sets of puppies on behalf of them until they were at the age to b adopted....and from multiple depots! They HONESTLY don't give 2 rats arses about their pups...I quit coz I was SO heartbroken over each set of pups I would hand back n how no one gave a ****!

Get a dog from WHERE U WANT to get a dog! As for ages...pets teach kids so much more than an adult can about a variety of things...just always supervise! I have 3 dogs and about to hav bubs...my dogs r ready for a bubby in the house...n he'll grow up with them as I did.
    It's totally ur personal opinion OP.. good luck.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasssssy View Post
    ^^ totally agree! However I used to b a registered foster carer for the RSPCA and I had multiple sets of puppies on behalf of them until they were at the age to b adopted....and from multiple depots! They HONESTLY don't give 2 rats arses about their pups...I quit coz I was SO heartbroken over each set of pups I would hand back n how no one gave a ****!
    I fostered for an organisation and heard nothing but terrible stories from RSPCA fosters. Sad really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thinks 3 is a great age, my 2.5 yr old has been around a puppy for a year now and the only problem we have is him trying to ride the dog( ds is 19kg) kids that age don't listen but your son will get used to the dog and visaversa we had a few issues with the puppy snapping at ds in a playful way as long as they are closely supervised for the first few months things should be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id love to see a pet thread go by just once without it turning into a p!ssing contest between the ideas of breeders or RSPCA, and without people telling the OP how to raise the dog when they clearly havent asked for any of that information.

This! Exactly!!!

We got our lil man (from the trading post, oh the shame) when DD was 2 1/2 and he has been perfect. Slept on my bed from day one, has never nipped at anyone, and now at 7 is DD's best mate and she is great and helping me feed both him and her cat each night, plus bathing him regularly and helping with general pet care of both of our boys.

If you know what your doing when it comes to dogs I say go for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I love the motto "Please don't Buy while shelter dogs die". For your information the rspca get Loads of "pure breed" dogs.

***Sent from my phone***
    I understand your passion, but IMO I would prefer a small child to be around a dog with papers from breeder. You know they haven't been abused, and you know the health checks are legit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by daysta112 View Post
    I understand your passion, but IMO I would prefer a small child to be around a dog with papers from breeder. You know they haven't been abused, and you know the health checks are legit
    Hmm how does papers ensure the temperament of the dog as it grows? A dog is a product of its environment IMO!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    Hmm how does papers ensure the temperament of the dog as it grows? A dog is a product of its environment IMO!
    Yes it is a product of it's environment, I meant the papers in relation to the health checks

Thanks
    Reviews

London, thankyou!
    Lately I am agreeing with everythin you say and this is another of those times!

Thanks
    Reviews

Legend.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think 3 is as good as any age, its all about you introduce them. I think its good for children to get used to animals and treat them nicely from when they are young. As long as you take care when they are playing (because she is probably going to want to try and pick it up and pat it a lot) then it should be fine. And have somewhere for the dog to escape if it gets too much

i find it really funny too, the way these things always turn into a breeder vs rspca dog debate. I totally understand the argument for both, i've worked at the rspca for years when i was in uni, and i also have looked at purebred dogs (and owned both) . I think as long as you don't buy from a pet shop or puppy mill, it's fine. Do a bit of research before you buy.

And just for the record, we have a lab x wolfhound that we adopted from the pound at 7 months, who was treated very badly and abused, he took quite a few months to stop being petrified. All of our friends marvel at how wonderful and gentle he is with kids that come over. He sits still while they climb all over him, and when they are playing in the garden, will go and lie a few metres away as if he's watching over them. He's the perfect family dog. My good friend bought a purebred saint bernard as a family pet, cost thousands of dollars. They took him to dog training, did all the right things to look after him (lovely, calm family) and out of now where at 3 years old, he mauled her son on the face. So you really just never know. Find the dog thats right for you.