+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default EBM and working full time

Hi, i am new to all of this and was hoping someone might be able to help.
    This is our first baby and i plan to breastfeed (if bubby doesnt take to it i will definately be expressing to feed).
    DH and I have planned for myself to go back to work full time and he will go part time, my MIL will be baby sitting while DH is working and is happy to feed bubby BM too.

My question is does anyone else work full time while breastfeeding or expressing? And How do you manage it? I dont want to have to EBM while at work, but is it a necessity rather than an option? Or is it ok to express in the morning and then when i get home?
    Days DH is at home he will be coming in on my lunch break so i can feed those days.

I also read BM lasts for 5 days just in the fridge so is it possible to express extra on the weekend to get through the first few days of the week, and then what i express those fist few days might last for the last few days of the week?

Sorry if this seems silly. I am still new to all of this and trying to get prepared before bubs arrives.
    Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How old will baby be when you go back to work? Are you able to put it off a bit so bub is at a stage of having less feeds?

You will need to express at work, probably more than once. This is so you will have enough EBM and also to keep your supply up. If it is a young baby, you may find you'd need to even have three expressing sessions but it will probably depend on how easily you can express and how much you can get. But if bub can come to you for feeds, then you'd probably only need to express once (I'm assuming you'll be away from bub about 9 hours?)

You can call the Breastfeeding Helpline on 1800 686268, it's free and they can give you lots of information about expressing and returning to work.
    Here is a link from the ABA site: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...eding-and-work

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Laksa For This Useful Post:

pinklinkin  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info Laksa, i will head over and check out that website now.
    Bubs will only be about 20 weeks when i have to go back to work unfortunately. And yes it will be about 9 hours i away for. Not looking forward it but we all have to eat somehow!! haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'll definitely need to express at work or else you will be very uncomfortable and probably leaking!

I can't comment on working and expressing successfully as I am at home with bub for the next few months. My bub is nearly 16 weeks now and feeding less throughout the day (once went 5 hours!) so when you go back at 20 weeks feeds should not be as frequent as the first hectic few weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you'll probably need to express at work as well to keep up your supply and also to make sure you get enough milk to last bub through the day. You will probably look at bub needing 2-3 expressed feeds while you are at work.

I second Laksa's suggestion of contacting the ABA. They have a lot of information regarding returning to work and expressing.

You can also express milk and freeze it and it will last longer. Whoever is looking after bub can then just defrost it.

I also recommend investing in a good electric breast pump. I use a hand one and it takes forever to get enough milk. Some of my friends who work full-time have an electric one so it only takes 5-10 minutes to get a feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The medela swing pump is great for long term pumping. Its electric and light and can do both boobs in 20-30min (friend has one). you can get the medela double pump (does both boobs at the same time leaving your hands free for lunch) and it definitely cuts down on time. you can hire/buy these. i'd buy it for what you are planning on doing.

i think the there is legislation in place where employers have to give mums time (unpaid) and space to express. contact your HR to see what the go is. you do not have to use the toilet to express.

You would need to express depending on number of feeds bub is having/missing. So if your bub feeds at 7am, 9, 11, 1, 3, 5 - you will need to pump at those times to keep your supply going. But if your bub feeds at 7,10, 2, 4... you get the gist. At 20 wks my DD was a 3hrly feeder from 6am-4pm and then hourly till 8pm.

pumping is not as efficient as the baby suckling so you might find a drop in your milk supply so you may have to take some supplements ie fenugreek or medication motilium. again... only a possibility.

good luck. the ABA were great in helping me out.