+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Genetics Study: Will IVF Babies Face Health Problems Later in Life?

I am wondering since the oldest IVF baby is only 32..is there a concern for what health issues may come up when a IVF baby becomes an old person?

Just a thought ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I have thought about this. Hopefully if IVF babies don't have issues now, hopefully they won't when they are older. I wonder if they are collecting any stats on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see why they would face additional health problems when older if they don't when they are young.

Would actually be interesting to see some stats on the number of babies born via IVF that have serious health concerns. I'm sure it's out there somewhere but have never looked into it as we didn't need to go as far as IVF.

It Would be another point against IVF for those who believe it interferes with natural selection.
    I'm sure there would be some strong opinions either way.

For the record I am pro IVF all the way :-)
    (ETA: in all cases of infertility but up until a reasonable age)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mybooboo View Post
    Yes, I have thought about this. Hopefully if IVF babies don't have issues now, hopefully they won't when they are older. I wonder if they are collecting any stats on this?
    I have heard they are monitoring a few of the older IVF adults now..and there is concern as to IF they will be more prone to health issues in older age (I have a niece and nephew both IVF they are 13 and 10 years ..no health issues at all...)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sorry no disrespect intended but why have you posted this question here and not in the general pregnancy or TTC threads? We IVF mums and mums to be face so many struggles and hurdles everyday of our lives while we are on the IVF roller coaster. It seems from the posts you aren't doing IVF yourself? I'm sorry but I find this thread upsetting and don't know why you've put it here.

Pregnant women have enough to stress about without worrying that somehow their babies are less "perfect" because of the way they were conceived.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Haileys Mummy  (06-05-2012),hopefulmama2b  (07-05-2012),romaverona  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sonja, sorry you find the topic distressing. I too am an IVF mum of 2. Although the topic is unsavoury, it is something we all have to think about. I don't know if this thread belongs in another area, I am new to this forum. Both my children are healthy and so far no problems at all ages 7 and 6. I do remember when they were born, I received a questionaire from the clinic asking medical questions. I was just wondering if they do follow up questionaires at various stages of their lives? The only reason I am asking is that if there are any issues that come up due to IVF, I want to be informed and see if there any any interventions I can make now, not at a later stage when it may be too late. It is an issue all of us need to be aware of that have IVF babies. It doesn't necessarily mean that something will go wrong but I still want to know if there are any possibilities. I don't want to bury my head in the sand and not know about it.

I certainly don't think my bablies are "less perfect". In my eyes, they are my beautiful babies and I really do not care what anyone else thinks. This is the journey I had to travel and I am not asking other people to condone it. However, as no IVF child has reached old age, yes I am interested to know about this. I am sorry if you and others find this topic unsavoury.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What would be the reason for them having health problema when older?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

hopefulmama2b  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i don't understand why they are any different to other kids....egg and sperm together make baby...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

hopefulmama2b  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The argument is bec there's no natural selection with those babies created through ICSI. That's what I know of it anyway. Most scientists think it's a rubbish argument but some people opposed to IVF trot it out.

Mybooboo the point of my original post was that it's fine to have this debate but not in this section. I think it's a load of cobblers but some people may find it distressing so don't put it in a pregnant and babies through IVF section. I know you weren't the OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not a question if our babies are any different to naturally conceived babies. A baby is a baby. But there have been questions asked by the medical field if there will be any problems as children get older. Don't forget, IVF hasn't been around that long. No one has reached old age yet.

I am in no way suggesting that there will be problems. As a mum of 2 IVF children, I certainly don't want that to be true. So far so good, and I hope it stays that way.