+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Education Tax refund

I thought people might be interested in this but its not extra money just last years brought forward

PARENTS will receive up to $820 for every child they have at school - paid directly into their bank account next month - as part of a federal government overhaul to combat rising education costs.
    In another sign the government is preparing a Robin Hood Budget that targets the rich but helps battling families, Julia Gillard will announce the means-tested payment today.
    The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the payment will replace the existing education tax refund, which forced parents to keep receipts to prove they had spent thousands of dollars on computers and school uniforms before claiming a rebate for education expenses.
    About a million families eligible for the existing scheme -- to be axed in Tuesday's Budget -- were not claiming their full entitlements under the current scheme. The Sunday Telegraph previously revealed about 600,000 families were not claiming at all, missing out on $300 million.
    Read full story
    Last edited by BH-tech; 05-01-2015 at 11:12. Reason: Link Update

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Payment for school children

http://http://m.dailytelegraph.com.a...-1226347607402

Have you seen this ??
    What do you think about it ?? Think she's just throwing cash at parents to keep her as leader ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I literally JUST heard about this on sunrise and came online to see what they're talking about

Your link isnt working

Thanks
    Reviews
    It might not work as I posted from my phone sorry !! Someone might be able to find the article and post

Yeah I just seen it posted by a friend on Facebook!!

While I think it's a good thing as school does cost a lot of money every year ! I think those with children that 'wag ' shouldn't be entitled to it!!
    I also see it as a " let's throw some cash at these parents and get them to vote for me again"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It will be means-tested. It will replace the existing education tax refund. I still can't see her getting back in or keeping her job for very much longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Cj* View Post
    It will be means-tested. It will replace the existing education tax refund. I still can't see her getting back in or keeping her job for very much longer.

Yes the article ( sorry it doesn't work )
    Does say it will be means tested!!
    But as far as I'm concerned she would most likely have majority of the well off people backing her!!!
    I totally agree and hope that she doesn't keep her job for too much longer!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    my daughter turned 5 in march, she dosnt start school till july so we just miss out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The old way was means tested you had to be getting at least some Tax A to get it.
    Last edited by *Cj*; 06-05-2012 at 10:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneBatty View Post
    Gah!
    I think its stupid tbh from what I have read so far.
    I had no issues claiming the Education Tax refund (which this replaces) for entitlements. They are saying people were missing out by not claiming?
    They are just throwing "CASH" at people now it seems. The old way you claimed the expenses you had paid out for. Now they seem to just throw a set amount to people under the means tested income limit.
    Our income varies I would say for this financial year because of a small lump sum we received we wont be entitled for it and I wont be able to claim anything back now either which is a bit annoying.

That's something I guess she hasn't thought about!! While they class the cut off at a certain amount , school costs just as much for everyone!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh true. apologies.

Still don't agree with the changes though!
    Last edited by GoneBatty; 06-05-2012 at 10:05.