+ Reply to Thread
    Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cats and birds and mice.

Well about 4 months ago now I got the kids 4 baby mice for pets. Just to look at and pat sometimes. As they got bigger they got smelly, so I moved them outside on a stand. They have a cover. About 2 weeks after putting them out birds started landing on the cage so I could only uncover them at night. I always always always shooed the birds away. They still come now. They are like butcher birds. And now the past week these 2 random cats (I didn't even no there were cats in my street) have started coming to the house trying to get on the balcony and when they see each other they start fighting. So now I have to move the mice inside at night and they are so smelly lol. I clean them prob once a week. (one is also extremely overweight lmao)

Any ideas of what to do bout the cats and birds?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are you feeding them? They aren't supposed to eat cheese I know that's one thing that can make them smell and be over weight.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm feeding them mouse food from the pet shop. That's it. They have 2 bowls as there are 4 (little bowls) and I fill them up when they empty them. Prob every 4 daysish

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are they all male or all female? Males smell more, however rodents in general are smelly pets. Surely you would have researched that before buying them?

What do you use as substrate? DD's rats have Breeder's Choice litter, cleaned out and replaced twice a week, and the cage totally washed and disinfected once a week. They're in a big cage in her room and you can't smell them at all because the cage hygiene is kept.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Iv had nice before and I no they are smelly. They are males. But them smelling isn't the issue, my issues is the animals trying to eat them

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyOf2Sweeties View Post
    Iv had nice before and I no they are smelly. They are males. But them smelling isn't the issue, my issues is the animals trying to eat them
    They're prey animals, in a wire box, outside. Predators are going to take their first chance with it.

For the birds, try suspending a few old cds/dvds on string so they hang over the cage. The sunlight flashing on them can keep birds away, however smarter birds like ravens and magpies will eventually figure out that it's no danger.

You could also try buying an Ssscat! device and setting it up near the cage. You can see videos of it in action on youtube, and I had great success using it to teach my cat that the front and back door equals danger, and to stay inside. They're not very cheap but they're VERY effective for repelling cats and birds, plus they do no harm to the animal apart from giving it one hell of a fright.
    If you notice the cats getting onto the balcony one particular way, place the Ssscat behind a plant or even just a brick in that area, so they don't see the device but the sensor beam isn't blocked.
    After a squirt or two they'll leave the mice well alone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a cat in the area who continuously stalks my rabbits (and broke into their hutch and attacked one of them)

I now smack him on the butt whenever I see him near my hutch.

If it was warmer id wet him but I don't want him getting sick from being cd and wet.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not great but put orange peals around your yard or patio. Cats hate the smell and won't go near. Buy a rubber snake that will definitely deter the birds and maybe even the cat.