+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Not responding to jabs?

This is my first IVF cycle, and I'm a bit confused. I started on 112.5 of Gonal F, then after 4 days of jabs it got upped to 150, due to blood test results. Had more tests and a scan 3 days later and still low estrogen and not much response, so it was upped to 225.

Going back on Wednesday for more tests, and if there's no response then the FS said he may cancel the cycle. I'm pretty upset, as I'd prepared for not getting pregnant, but not for the cycle being cancelled.

Has anyone had this happen? How long would I have to wait before trying again? And any idea why it happens?

The weird thing is that I did 4 cycles of FSH injections and IUI, and I produced a follicle each time on just 50 units! So I don't get why my body has stopped working?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using BubHub

Disney Baby is offline <--- That's my baby at 8 cells old <3 Ahh the perks of IVF =D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry to hear that things aren't going as planned.

I'm also not sure if I will be of any help, but maybe the dose was just too low to get things kick started? My FS thought that starting on Day 3 may make my ovaries lazy and not respond, but they did. I was also on 175 Gonal F this time and got 12 eggs.
    Last cycle I was on 150 Gonal F and only got 5 eggs, also starting on Day 3.

You may also have to wait a month to start again because of all the hormones. That's what my clinic does anyway.

I hopw you get better results at your next scan!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Disney Baby For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry that your cycle isn't working out. I think sometimes, it can take awhile to get the dose right for each person.

I have pcos (so lots of little follies on both ovaries) and my first cycle i started on gonal 112 because they were worried about OHSS. At about day 10 i had one big follie and all the rest were small, i did another 5 days of stims and then we decided to cancel (because we are MFI and need as many eggs as possible). I was pretty devastated at the time. My FS said that the one follie had sucked up all the FSH and gotten a head start, so didn't give the others a chance and once they get away, not much you can do. My levels all stopped rising because none of the other follies were growing, the big one was taking all the hormone.

Next cycle (which we could start two weeks later) I started on 142 and that did the trick to kick start them all in the beginning, sometimes unfortunately, its trial and error and follies can do weird things like go up and down.

Depending on the reason for doing IVF they might just let you do the trigger shot (they did with us cause my dp has almost zero sperm so it was a shot in hell) then you'll get your period 14 days later and you just start again. But if you have good sperm they might just cancel you then you'll get AF and you can start again.

My clinic also said it depends on your age and if you have low AMH. If they think you might only get 1 or 2 eggs at best they will continue but most people will get more than that, so the like to cancel you and try again for a better result.

Cancelled cycles are SO frustrating, but in the end, its worth waiting for a good cycle to get a decent amount of eggs. Best of luck!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you for your replies.

DisneyBaby - what day of cycle is ideal to start on? I wondered if it was because I had an unexpected period, and therefore might not have started on the optimal day.

I saw the FS on the Thursday, and was supposed to have been on CD3 by that point (had taken the pill to bring on a period). Anyway, no period had come, and when he scanned me he said the endometrium was so thin I might not have one at all, and that we would start jabbing Sat regardless.

AF came on the Friday, so I technically started jabbing on CD2. The FS didn't think the period had been to blame for the non-response though.

Clementine - Yes, my FS was worried about OHSS too. I'm 33, which he said was young for IVF, and have previously (on the FSH + IUI) responded fine to just 50 units. So that's why he started me on a relatively low dose.

I'm glad the 2nd cycle worked for you. It's so awful to contemplate cancelling the first cycle. I feel like we've got all geared up for it, and just want to get it over with, and now this is a big roadblock.

We're doing the IVF as I don't ovulate. Had DD after taking Clomid, but that didn't work this time. We've been trying over a year, with Clomid, FSH injections + IUI, and still no pregnancy. The FSH made me ovulate before, but still no pregnancy. DH is fine, so no problems there.

My AMH is on the low side for my age, but is still okay - 11.4 I think.

Thanks for your answers. I don't know anyone IRL who has done this (except one, who did 1 cycle and got a BFP straight away with no problems), so I'm feeling a bit lost about it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Girl X, I'm in a similar situation to you, I also have PCOS and low AMH for my age (26) 13.4. I have had two TSI Clomid cycles (50mg daily for 5 days) and produced two lovely follies.

I started my first IVF over two weeks ago on a dose of 75iu, went in for my first scan on day 8 and had 11 small follies and had my dose increased to 100iu. Went for my second scan on day 11, only had 3 lead follicles and still plenty of small ones told to stay on the same dose. EPU was booked for two days later but everything was still growing slowly so it was postponed. Third scan on day 14 still growing but slowly so increased to my current dose of 125iu. I have another scan tomorrow to see whats going on. They said I'm just responding very slowly but as my E2 is still rising I can carry on. I'm currently on day 16 of FSH.

After a bit of researching on my behalf I found that AMH should be high for those with PCOS. You're dosed low to prevent OHSS (increased risk with PCOS) but because AMH is low you don't respond. Depending on what the results are tomorrow, I'll definitely be discussing this with my FS.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, are you on Gonal-f or Puregon and what have you used previously. Doses are not equivalent as they are slightly different 'strands' (for lack of a better word) of FSH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I have PCOS - which I realise sounds stupid to say like that! When I had problems TTC the first time around I had tests and didn't have it. When I went back to the same FS the 2nd time around (again, as I don't ovulate), he scanned and said I had "polycystic ovaries' but not the syndrome, and that it was only mild. And no other signs of it - just several little follicles on each ovary.

Buuut, since then, I haven't ever had that happen again. And it had never happened prior to that. Whenever I try to get clarification from the FS he seems a little vague and not bothered about it, so I really don't know! I know it's not PCOS itself though, if that makes sense??

That's good you can carry on though. I wonder why my FS is talking about cancelling, rather than just keeping on with the injections?

I'm on Gonal F, which is what I had previously too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its quite common to have the polycystic ovaries, but not the syndrome. I'm sort of like that, i have the classic " string of pearls" of cysts, but although i do have an irregular cycle (which is pretty much fixed with metformin) i ovulate on my own every month. I really hope that you don't get cancelled, its so devastating. Especially the first one because you are all geared up. If you do get cancelled, you should be able to just do the trigger, get your period and then start 14 days later. Maybe they might need to start you on a slightly higher dose from the get go?

I think too, all clinic's are different but with mine, i've always had a scan and bt every 2nd day (because of the pcos i think) so they keep a close eye and can adjust the dose.

Fingers crossed for a good result at your next scan

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I think its quite common to have the polycystic ovaries, but not the syndrome.
    I think it is too. I believe the difference is PCO is just cystic ovaries and the PCOS is when you have multiple symptoms.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, it was a strange one. It was only on that one scan that he saw the cysts, and never before or since. I'm not sure if it can just happen as a one off, or if that has any implication for anything, but that's how it seems to be.

The FS said we may need to start again on a higher dose. I'm keeping everything crossed for Wednesday, as it's so horrible to think about starting all over when we've got geared up for this. Although it's the first IVF cycle, it's over a year of trying, and our 10th treatment cycle, and we're definitely starting to get a bit of TTC fatigue, as I'm sure everyone in this part of the forum does too!

Thanks for your answers - much appreciated.