+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default cert iv business admin

Has anyone done this through Oten? How much did you have to spend on text books etc?
    I want to do the course but I'm worried about the extra costs. Would I be better off doing it through a private training company that has an all inclusive price...
    Also... I am hoping to take on full time work again asap and I have a 20 month old ds... Is it going to be a huge stretch to even get the course done?
    Anything else I should know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Do you know what the textbook is called? You could look it up on ebay, fishpond, book depository, etc.. to get an idea of what it would cost.
    Are you entitled to centrelink or FTB? You might be able to get an exemption on the course fee. You would probably still have to pay $50 or so to cover admin cost/material; costs and buy a textbook but would be cheaper then going through a private provider.
    I personally find it to hard to study by correspondence. I just can't motivate myself but alot of people can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm doing an OTEN course through SEEK. I opted to go through SEEK rather than directly through OTEN because SEEK provide the textbooks etc. Cost a bit more but evens out once you include textbooks and materials to the OTEN price.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't know what texts are required, will have a closer look at the oten page when I am on the computer.
    I not on any parenting payments, but I do get ftb... I didn't think I would be eligible for any fee assistance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did this certificate, but quite some time ago - over a decade ago! I did it through a working traineeship and found the study load to be no problem at all. From memory it was meant to take a year but I had completed most of it very early in, within a couple of months. Admittedly I didn't have a child then, but could a working traineeship maybe work for you too? I also didnt have to pay for anything that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by notquitesupermum View Post
    No I don't know what texts are required, will have a closer look at the oten page when I am on the computer.
    I not on any parenting payments, but I do get ftb... I didn't think I would be eligible for any fee assistance
    Are you in NSW? You can get an exemption on the course cost even just with ftb entitlement.
    There should be info about it on the oten site.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I just looked it up now i'm on the computer. You have to be eligible for maximum rate of FTB A to get the concession. The exemption is for aboriginal/torres strait islanders only.

http://wsi.tafensw.edu.au/enrolling/...nd-exemptions/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps for looking that up for me HarvestMoon. Bummer that I am not able to get any fee help. Well hopefully I will pick up work soon enough that the hole in the bank account wont be too hard felt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok... Bumping this with another question... This is for all you Tax genius'

I worked as an administration assitant for 2 1/2 weeks this year (job ended unexpectadly thats a whole other rant) and am looking for more work in this field now but due to living in a small town it can take a while to get the work you want.

So the question is, am I better off waiting till july to sign up for my course and then I will have a whole year to find related work and hopefully be able to claim my course on tax?

Or should I just do it now (as is more convenient) and is there any chance that I could use the two weeks work to claim course costs..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The cost of the course is not treated as a tax write off. It reduces your taxable income.

Eg - completely made up figures here:

For the whole financial year you earned a gross wage of $10,000. You were taxed say $1,000.

Course cost $1,500.

Taxable income would be $10,000 less course cost so $8,500.

So you pay the tax scale relevant to an income of $8,500 not $10,000.

It's not a straight cash back reimbursement for your course cost.

Does this make any sense?