+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Omg I can't believe your dr is speaking like it's the end of the world!!! I'd be seeking a second opinion. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy and I'm sure your baby boy will be perfectly fine

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nelle7250 For This Useful Post:

Needaname  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your comments, it really helped
    Had the 'second level' ultrasound today
    The doctor confirmed the kidney issue but was not so over-the-top about it, letting me know that often it turns out fine, but she can't guarantee anything.
    I feel better because I was worried the other Dr was seeing something more serious than just a slightly enlarged kidney.
    I'll let the doctors do their thing (another scan in 6 weeks) although I believe he's fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on the good news. Hope it all goes smoothly for you from now on, and you get to hold your healthy little bub before too long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    What?! I can't believe they were discussing abortion because of this? Our Ds3 had this and is a completely normal 3.5 year old now, just with one dilated kidney....Glad your second scan went well xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    WTH!? I would be P!SSED if I were you! A dilated kidney on its own is no cause for such an extreme response and causing you so much stress!

DS's kidneys were both dilated, and picked up at the 20 week scan. I had another scan at 32 weeks which showed the same, and again at 38 weeks. He had an ultrasound when he was 5 days old, and the issue persisted so we took him to the Women's & Children's Hospital to have a catheter inserted and under x-ray, his bladder was filled with dye to see if any urine might be refluxing into his kidneys.

Thankfully DS got the all clear and after another scan at 6 and 12 months, it was just decided that he has perfectly functioning, just larger than normal kidneys.

No one ever mentioned abortion, and as I understand it, it is a fairly common thing to be picked up during morphology scans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    and as I understand it, it is a fairly common thing to be picked up during morphology scans.
    The sonographer with DS told me it was surprising common, and the only reason they were seeing higher rates diagnosed in unborn and born babies was bc u/s is so reliable now and a science in itself.