+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 22 wk Ultrasound showed dilated kidney, Dr discussing abortion.. vent

I went for my 21 week Ultrasound last week and apparently the baby's left kidney is dilated.
    I'm not the worrying type, and put it mostly down to the doctor being over-precautious. But after the ultrasound she sat me down, told me she'd schedule a 'second level' scan for ASAP, said it'd have to be quick because if I want an amniocentisis and find out the baby's sick and want to abort there's only a little window of 2 weeks... She asked me what I'd do if I found out I have a baby with an illness, and kept looking at me with pity and apology.
    Well, personally I'd never get an amniocentisis, as I'd never abort a baby with an illness.
    This post is just a vent really, plus I'm a bit confused.
    Most of what I've found online are people's doctors saying it's nothing to worry about, it's common in boys (mine's a boy) and most the time it fixes itself before birth. Why was my doctor freaking me out so much?
    I'm also annoyed because now DH and I are having all these intense discussions about amniocentisis, disabled children, what we'd do etc.. and I feel like we're not even close to being at that point.
    I have the second scan on Tuesday..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    wow what a situation to be put in! I wish you the best for your scan on Tuesday and hopefully the dr was just being over cautious!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&Smooches For This Useful Post:

Needaname  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Needaname  (09-05-2012)

DreamsIntoReality is offline Each day gives hope to fulfilling our dreams!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We were told this at a scan. Our baby is fine. She didn't need surgery or anything as after she was born scans over a couple of weeks were normal.
    If they need surgery, it's normally keyhole and not major depending on what it is.
    I can't believe they are telling you to abort it, that's harsh and rude.
    They need to go more into detail with you if it's serious.
    Do you know what level/points your baby's kidneys are?

Using my mobile to access bubhub again ;-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamsIntoReality For This Useful Post:

Needaname  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the exact same experience when i had an ultrasound at around 20 weeks pregnant with my dd. They said the kidneys looked dilated and she called in the doctor and were discussing it in front of me which got me really nervous because they looked so worried and told me if it doesn't 'fix' itself then it would be a big sign of baby having an illness. But it was a big fuss about nothing because I had a healthy baby at the end of it. They really should consider how mothers would react and feel before approaching in such a serious way. It could save a lot of drama and worry. Wish you all the best with the rest of your pregnancy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sini For This Useful Post:

Needaname  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told this with my last baby and I ended up with polyhydramonis(?sp), lots of amniotic fluid, which again says the kidney is working poorly however after birth everything was normal. My Drs just told we they couldn't really tell if it is going to be a big problem until up to 6weeks post birth but that was it, I'm sorry they seemed so harsh with you. I hope it turns out to be nothing

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Malu For This Useful Post:

Needaname  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Oh my goodness! Talk about scare tactics!!!

We were told that our little man had dialated kidneys at our 20 week scan. My ob explained that another scan would be done later in my pregnancy and not to worry about it at that stage.

I had another scan done around 34 weeks (also to check on my placenta). Bubs kidneys were still dialated. Ob then explained that bub would need a scan once born but the problem usually rectified itself by birth.

My little man was born in January and we were sent for a scan when he was 3 days old. His kidneys were perfect!

I personally would try not to worry about it and don't let your doctors negative talk bother you too much at this stage. I hope your bub is fine.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Needaname  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hugs, this sounds like a total over reaction to me. My son had dilated kidneys at the 20 week scan and was one of the rare babies that did have some kidney issues. He had a blocked ureter and was quite sick off and on as a baby but is now a very healthy, happy, normal 12 year old. Like others have said, this is common in boys and mostly fixes itself before birth. I would be demanding a second opinion and would ditch this dr ASAP

15. The Following User Says Thank You to angelbubswithwings For This Useful Post:

Needaname  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My DS had renal dilation while I was pg. At the 20 week scan they noticed it, booked me back in at 30 weeks and it had improved, then it was gone by birth. Believe it or not, it's quite common and in most cases it clears up, sometimes an op is needed.

I think it's pretty crazy for the dr to be talking about late term abortion over this

17. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Needaname  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son had kidney dilation picked up at my 20 weeks scan. We had a follow up scan at about 34 weeks then he had a mcu test done a few weeks of age. The kidneys were still dilated and he had severe reflux. He was on daily antibiotics for his first year of life and had multiple UTIs, some requiring hospitalisation for IV antibiotics. At 8months of age he was circumcised at the surgeons recommendation and had a cystoscopy. Since them he has had no more UTIs and the dilation is slowly getting smaller. He is now a healthy almost 3yo.

I know it's a scary time for you, but have faith that chances are that all will be ok. If you can, maybe seek out a second opinion. (((hugs)))

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Awesome For This Useful Post:

Needaname  (09-05-2012)