Closed Thread
Page 119 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1422
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In the SIDS website it says this about hammocks;

"Hammocks
    There is no Australian standard covering the use and manufacture of hammocks for baby. While we are not aware of any research on the safety of hammocks or guidelines for their use for babies, we are aware of case and injury reports documenting a number of hospital admissions of infants following a fall from a hammock and tragically 2 deaths of infants sleeping in hammocks in separate incidences in the USA in 2009.Babies sleeping in hammocks are at risk of incurring a falling injury. Babies should not be left unsupervised in these devices as they are not designed as an infant sleeping place."

Everyone is entitled to use what they want... but I don't think i will use a hammock, just not confident about them... not sure about slings... I haven't really thought about them, might have to research it a bit more.

My DH works away so I will be by myself every second week so having baby in our room is fine for the beginning, cause when DH is home he is not working, we have agreed to share everything while he is home as I will need the break aswell after being alone for a week, he is pretty good around the house now so should be pretty helpful when bub comes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did loads of research on the weekend re SIDS, SUDS and fatal sleep incidents as I want to co sleep ( not same surface) and trying to figure out what is recommended. I even read coronial reports as morbid as it is. The recommendation to decrease the risk of SIDS is to have baby sleep in the same room as mother for 6-12 months, and sleep baby on their own flat surface, obviously supine. I like the stokke cot as it changes from bassinet to cot and has castors. I'm hoping the cot can go next to my side of the bed with the surface the same level as the bed so I can just reach in. The safest option for co sleeping with research that I have figured out anyway. All a personal preference, and who knows what reality will be when baby arrives. The coroner reports scared me,but I feel I'm well educated in the matter now! Plus had a barny with dh as wanted him to research too, I don't fancy making that kind of decision all on my own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a bit the same Beta! Researched the topic to death with my first dd (pardon the poor pun). We decided that she would sleep in our room in a bassinet (so I could touch her, demand feed, comfort etc) without the same risks of co sleeping. We did that for about 7 - 8 months and found it was the perfect scenario for us. like AmyEL my DH works away (4 weeks on, 4 weeks off and up to 6 sometimes!) so when he is home he wants to be as involved as possible - he functions on limited sleep - I don't! So he will be helping out quite a bit, hoping to do e same with this bub. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by khutch View Post
    I am a bit the same Beta! Researched the topic to death with my first dd (pardon the poor pun). We decided that she would sleep in our room in a bassinet (so I could touch her, demand feed, comfort etc) without the same risks of co sleeping. We did that for about 7 - 8 months and found it was the perfect scenario for us. like AmyEL my DH works away (4 weeks on, 4 weeks off and up to 6 sometimes!) so when he is home he wants to be as involved as possible - he functions on limited sleep - I don't! So he will be helping out quite a bit, hoping to do e same with this bub. :-)
    That's good to hear it worked with your first! Did you ever breast feed in bed? I'm afraid I'd fall asleep and end up cosleeping accidentally. Reeeeealy worried about fatigue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I did, but found laying down to bf uncomfortable for me! I sat up in bed and nearly fell asleep holding bub on more than 1 occasion, but was quick to realize (it's just not that comfortable!) I found it hard because your nipple points the wrong way and I worried about smothering dd with my 12f's!! (previously a size 12c)

Also, I had initial issues with bf (cracked, sore nipples etc) Lansinoh is great, nipples heal pretty fast and I just expressed and bottle fed on the days I couldn't bear feeding for the pain! Kept us both happy and ended up successfully feeding for 10 months :-) I could have easily given up - and don't knock those who feel they have no choice but to stop, I was just determined that I didn't get to birth naturally like I wanted so I would breast feed if it killed me damn it! Think it will be much easier this time around. Fingers crossed!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsoptomistic For This Useful Post:

Beta  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow guys, your all so knowledgeable! Thanks so much for sharing it all, really helps as a first time mum.
    We where going to get a video monitor but I think I am going to be one of those check to make sure bubs is breathing every 2 seconds so will start looking at the motion ones again. I was leaving it up to DH as he lives his gadgets but might put my 2 cents in.
    Thanks for all this breast feeding talk, I think I will copy all your comments into a word doc so I dont have to troll back thru these pages.
    Just one massive learning curve

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone going on a babymoon? I'd never heard of it before, sounds good to me! just a quick trip to cairns in 4 weeks after the 20 week scan, so over melb weather

Thanks
    Reviews
    All the best today SL. Your day is here so enjoy every second of it: )

Sent from my Nexus S using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DRAGONFLY17 For This Useful Post:

SL1009  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nala9000 View Post
    Wow guys, your all so knowledgeable! Thanks so much for sharing it all, really helps as a first time mum.
    We where going to get a video monitor but I think I am going to be one of those check to make sure bubs is breathing every 2 seconds so will start looking at the motion ones again. I was leaving it up to DH as he lives his gadgets but might put my 2 cents in.
    Thanks for all this breast feeding talk, I think I will copy all your comments into a word doc so I dont have to troll back thru these pages.
    Just one massive learning curve
    That's a great idea to copy the comments into a word doc - I agree with Nala - this thread has been SO helpful to a first time mum and am loving the different opinions, preferences and support. It's nice to know that a lot of you differ so it really just comes down to what I personally prefer in whatever situation but I'm getting the info for all scenarios!! If that makes sense!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    Anyone going on a babymoon? I'd never heard of it before, sounds good to me! just a quick trip to cairns in 4 weeks after the 20 week scan, so over melb weather
    Melbourne weather SUCKS at the moment - so hard to get out of bed and whilst it's not freezing this morning, the wind is crazy!! Babymoon is a great idea and 95% of everyone we know who have had children have been on one, usually around the 5-7 month mark...anyway from Tasmania to Thailand. We were blessed enough to have a beautiful wedding up in Queensland last September and we went back there in March, so won't be having a full on holiday before bubs comes. We have talked about going down to Great Ocean Road or Daylesford or something for 1 or 2 nights though which I think we will do