+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default best way to organise postage when selling stuff on ebay?

I'm selling a heap of outgrown clothes on ebay, just wondering whats the best and cheapest way to organise the postage.

has anyone used Aust Posts 'click and send'? It sounds good in theory...

What do you do? I don't want heaps of trips to the postoffice and I *don't* want to get caught out undercharging for postage

Oh and do you usually add in a handling charge?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't found a cheaper way to post than the 500gm parcel satchels- they're $7.20 at the post office I think. I haven't looked at the eBay/auspost click and send, but I'd check the dimensions of them before you order some. I seem to remember my sister saying they were smaller than she expected, but I could be wrong.
    When postage is that much, I find it's better to bundle same size items together, or have a higher starting bid and have postage as free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I just get the pre-paid satchels. They've gone up in price recently so I can't remember how much they cost now. If something is under 500g (and actually fits in the bag), it's a certain amount, and then anything higher in weight (up to 3kg) or bigger in size needs the bigger bag which is another set amount.

I could maybe do cheaper post for some people if I found out their postcode, wrapped it in brown paper and did it that way, but I know that when I buy on eBay I want to be able to know how much to expect post when I bid... and most people seem happy enough with the pre-paid bags (can get them for express post too).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So how do you list the postage on your items then? I'm using the ebay postage calculator, and entering the weight and dimensions... so i don't really know what they will see on the other end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You just find out on hte Aust Post website how much the prepaid satchels are and which your item will fit into, and type that number up.

A 500g one used to be $6.60 so I'd have that most of the time... but now they're $7 something...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I list them with the prepaid satchel price (500g, 3kg, or 5kg depending on the listing) but I also include text stating the postcode I am sending from and the dimensions and weight if someone wishes to get an alternative postage quote.

I do not charge a handling fee for people paying via direct deposit (or cash on pickup).

My quote for the registered post option includes a handling fee that will cover the paypal charge. (It is my understanding that you are not allowed to explicity on-charge the paypal fee, so I recoup that by adding it as a handling fee.)

It is stated in my post that registered post is mandatory for those paying via paypal, and a standard satchel is only available for those paying via direct debit.

When I had the standard postage option as the default, I had a lot of difficulty with people leaving it as that and still paying via paypal. Therefore I now put the registered post option as the default and the standard post option as an alternative. For the second alternative I offer a platinum parcel (which is express registered post).

I also include text stating cheaper prices for local-area postage for those three options, and will adjust the invoice if the recipients address is in my local area.

For example, the following is my listing.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251052502...ht_1550wt_1399

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    You just find out on hte Aust Post website how much the prepaid satchels are and which your item will fit into, and type that number up.

A 500g one used to be $6.60 so I'd have that most of the time... but now they're $7 something...
    Eeek! Looks like I had best update my listing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The 500g satchel is now $7.20 but includes tracking. If you wanted item signed for it costs a bit more. I think this is a good idea as lately several items I have sold on eBay and posted within 48hrs to Sa and WA have taken close to 3 weeks to arrive so customers are thinking you have done the wrong thing etc. I round my postage charges up to the next dollar so for a 500g bag would not charge $8. I factor in the paypal charges to my starting bid. Most of my auction have been buy it now lately though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I could maybe do cheaper post for some people if I found out their postcode, wrapped it in brown paper and did it that way, but I know that when I buy on eBay I want to be able to know how much to expect post when I bid... and most people seem happy enough with the pre-paid bags (can get them for express post too).
    When I am bidding for something, I will work out how much I am willing to pay, and deduct the postage from that. If someone provides information in their listing to calculate location-specific postage then I will use that figure, but I generally wont send a message asking for a postage quote.

That is why with my listing, I am as clear as possible.
    For example:
    * The default postage is $16.02
    * If people read the text they can see that they can drop to $11.40 if they pay by direct debit and don't mind lack of tracking and insurance.
    * Also if they read the text and realise they are nearby, they will see that they can pay as little as $8.65 (direct debit only) or $13.17 (with tracking and insurance).

So ... if I was wanting to buy it and prepared to pay up to $80, then I would bid $63.98 based on the default postage. However if I read the text and was within the local postage area and trusted the feedback rating, then I would bid up to $71.35 intending on taking the $8.35 option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    holy cr@p! Right now i need a little emoticon with an exploding head My head is spinning lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (05-05-2012)