+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Abnormal thyroid

Hi everyone,

I'm 17 weeks, I went to the doctors 4 weeks ago and had bloods done which came back I had an abnormal thyroid, then 1 week ago did more bloods and the results are still abnormal, just wondering if any other ladies have had this??
    The midwife wants to see me again in a few days with a doctor and are going to prescribe medication which I was told I will be on for life
    I'm not sure what effects it would have on my baby either, plus I have put on 20 kilos already for no apparent reason as I don't over eat and still eat responsibly healthy
    TIA xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Kat, depends whether you're high or low... but as you've put on weight, sounds like you are low - do you know your levels? I have low, but only during pregnancy, so am on thyroid medication during pregnancy, which is totally safe and necessary for the development of the baby's brain function. Apparently your levels change during pregnancy, so they will test you every 6 or so weeks. Not sure about the lifelong implications though or how they know that mine is only during pregnancy, because I'm pretty sure I've never had it tested when I'm not pregnant. ANyway, hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Letoti For This Useful Post:

Kruzys  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had low thyroid levels (hypothyroid) pre- pregnancy (not enough to medicate) but when we decided to ttc the doc prescribed me Thyroxine. I had to double then dose during pregnancy from 50mg to 100mg. After baby my levels were whacked again - over 6 months I was put up to 125mg and then 150mg and now its finally at the right level.

Maybe your levels were always a little low but pregnancy has messed with them a bit? From what I understand thyroxine medication is jus replacing what your body doesn't naturally make itself. After you have your bub, have your levels monitored as you can see mine changes a lot.

Hope that helps!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonMoon For This Useful Post:

Kruzys  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just poking my nose in. Coconut oil, flesh and water ALL promote good healthy thyroid function. Sounds REALLY simple but it can have a HUGE affect and soy supresses and hinders healthy soy function. Soy is in everything! Just thought I'd mention this... X

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

Kruzys  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies this has helped a lot! Just a question since its been 17 weeks will my baby be growing properly so far without the medication? And also will it help me lose some of the weight I have already put on as this is not a normal amount for pregnancy?
    Thanks again x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it would depend on how low your levels were. But I don't actually know the answers to your questions!

Maybe do some research on what the blood tests are calls (T3, T4, etc) do you get an idea of what is normal/ideal. Then when you discuss your results further with the doc/MW then you'll have a better chance of understanding it all :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonMoon For This Useful Post:

Kruzys  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    First you need to know if your levels were high/ low and if you have tested positive for Hashimoto's or graves disease.
    The answers to your questions will be different according to what you have been tested for.
    I Have found a great support forum where you will be able to get really helpful information. If M I will give the link.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Kruzys  (05-05-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shinebrite View Post
    Just poking my nose in. Coconut oil, flesh and water ALL promote good healthy thyroid function. Sounds REALLY simple but it can have a HUGE affect and soy supresses and hinders healthy soy function. Soy is in everything! Just thought I'd mention this... X

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)
    Could you explain abit how cocunut oil helps (or how you would use it?) and what do you mean by flesh? I'm looking into natural methods of healthy thyroid function for myself. Sorry to crash op.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies again u have been most helpful, I'll look into it more and see whether I'm high or low

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Could you explain abit how cocunut oil helps (or how you would use it?) and what do you mean by flesh? I'm looking into natural methods of healthy thyroid function for myself. Sorry to crash op.
    Will PM you some links. By flesh I mean the white part you scrape out... I make Ice cream from that part! Not hard to consume that's for sure :-D

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post: