+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 1/2 month old starting solids

Hi all,
    My son is almost 16 weeks old, weighs 8.2kg and 67cm long. He is rolling over, grasping objects and putting them in his mouth. He has also started teething. In other words, he's a very big boy who seems to be progressing well.
    He's very interested in food and I was thinking about starting to give him a tiny bit of mushy food or even a rusk for him to suck on.
    The nurses at my parents group insist on starting solids at six months, but I really feel DS is ready to try some tiny amounts of food. He's such a big boy too.
    I would love to hear from other mums in the same situation - to start or not to start??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did with DD1 right on 4 months, she was big like your son, best thing I ever did she loved it. She is tall and lean still. Go with what you feel he wants, if he isnt ready he wont eat it.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bec, I just started last week at 17 weeks. My DS is 99th percentile in length so a big boy like yours! So far he is enjoying the solids - I am also hoping it will help his reflux issues. The paediatrician advised that we start and assured me that the biggest risk in starting early is a slightly increased risk of Gastro. also, I have been feeding every two hours around the clock so hoping this will help my little man get more sleep! I'm taking it slow - just one time a day at the moment....
    If you feel he is ready, go for it. He sounds like he is ready for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    4 months 6 months 4,6,4,6

the argument about that has been going on for years depending on who has paid for the research its like most parenting do what works best for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Must be something in the air my DS2 is 3.5 months and a big boy too we tryed mushy food but he wasn't ready yet we plan to try again in a few weeks DS1 was having mush at 4 months my MHN did not like it but meh

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD started at 17 weeks. Shes quite little but loves it. If you think hes ready go for it. If he doesnt accept it then you can always try again later.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nurse said for me to try now and DD is 19 weeks. But she also said I could start at 16 weeks. Personally I'm thinking BLW. But if you think he is ready I say go for it. Plus he seems to be fairly advanced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried my DD on farex a few weeks ago now and she's 3 months old this week. Just a teaspoon here and there. She seems to enjoy the texture by her facial expressions My mum started me on farex at 6 weeks old she said so it was worth a go. DD is a real cat napper so I was hoping a fuller belly would help with longer sleeps. No such luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he is happy, healthy and putting on weight then there is no reason to rush into starting solids. If he is wanting to feed more frequently than before you could increase his milk intake before trying solids? Good signs to look for are: loss of tongue thrust reflex, and stable head control/ starting to sit up... All babies put stuff in their mouth so that isn't really a sign.

Starting solids is a big learning curve for both you and your baby, I would encourage you to enjoy this time with him. 3 months is a great age, especially as they start to move around more :-) My DS now 7 months eats 3 meals a day and I feel like I spend ALL day in the kitchen preparing/feeding/cleaning up...

PS, starting solids does not improve sleep. In some babies it actually makes it worse as it causes tummy ache.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovehats View Post
    If he is happy, healthy and putting on weight then there is no reason to rush into starting solids. If he is wanting to feed more frequently than before you could increase his milk intake before trying solids? Good signs to look for are: loss of tongue thrust reflex, and stable head control/ starting to sit up... All babies put stuff in their mouth so that isn't really a sign.

Starting solids is a big learning curve for both you and your baby, I would encourage you to enjoy this time with him. 3 months is a great age, especially as they start to move around more :-) My DS now 7 months eats 3 meals a day and I feel like I spend ALL day in the kitchen preparing/feeding/cleaning up...

PS, starting solids does not improve sleep. In some babies it actually makes it worse as it causes tummy ache.
    I agree with all of this. There is no rush. Enjoy them being a baby