+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When DD was 11wks old I was at emergency at the children's hospital with her. She'd been screaming all day, had terrible reflux and pooping green sludge. I was waiting to be seen and this woman next to me leans over, looks at me like I'm an idiot and tells me "she's hungry, you have to feed her!". Um, we're in freakin emergency!! Do you think maybe something else is going on??? As it turns out feeding is what was making her sick (intolerances) so that woman can shove it. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    My worst experience was probably when my DD1 was a few weeks old. I struggled to breast feed and suffered severe PND. I was in a mothers room at a shopping centre bottle feeding her and two older mums walked in (by that I mean older then me- I was 18 and they were mid late 30s). The whispered to each other for a while, then one looked at me, frowned and said "don't you know you should breast feed your baby?! Not that you should have a baby anyway". I stopped feeding DD1, packed up my stuff and walked out, left the shopping centre bawling my eyes out.
    That is so awful

I find it interesting when "older" mums are so disgustingly immature and judgmental of "younger" mums. After much consideration ive decided its just jealousy. Cos we get to spend a whole extra decade (or two) with our children.

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I remember when dd was a few weeks old we were at the beach and dh went for a surf. Not long after he left dd started screaming blue murder because she had wind pains. She was fed and changed so I just held and rocked and burped. This lady came up to me and told me to feed her because she was hungry. Made me so upset because I already felt so clueless and i knew she wasn't hungry! So annoying. I wanted to to cry... I used to always feel so clumsy with dd that having people look at me like I'm an idiot didn't help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleven3Eleven View Post
    What is it with people assuming that the only reason a baby cries is because they are hungry? Um they do cry for other reasons you know!
    I know! So so often I was told DS was hungry. He wasn't. Usually he was crying because he'd pooed or wet through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice was always the opposite!!

MIL always said that babies must "have a pain" or be "paining" every time they cried.. Used to do my head in!

Even if I told her they needed a feed she'd say "again? you just fed her/him".. Grrr.. That's why it's called demand feeding...

I was well aware they fed often (at least hourly - 2 hourly til about 6 months) so didn't need reminding or her to try and take them for a walk to distract/settle them :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum was big on the 'he has a pain'. Every time DS farted she's say 'Oh that must feel better'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have had a few strangers give me unwanted advice. An example that i recall is when an old man saw me getting my newborn out the car during a very hot day and grabbing a blanket as well - he told me off saying 'it was too hot for a blanket' and shook his head. I grabbed the blanket because the place i was going into had very cold air conditioning.
    I've had the 'she must be hungry' advice many times also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not directed towards me, or another parent, but a little boy in my DDs swimming class back when she was about 3yo
    The usual instructor was away, so they had a fill-in, and she had been there for about 2 weeks or so. There was a little boy who was usually very happy and co-operative, but this instructor seemed very harsh and forceful with her teaching, plus he was a bit out of sorts anyway. He was upset and crying. She plonked him up on the edge and started berating him for crying, telling him to "stop being such a little girl" and "you'll never be a man if you keep crying like this".

I was so disgusted! I looked over at his mum, and she just looked completely stunned. As I left, I complained to the management staff, as I wasn't sure if the mother had. I only saw that instructor there for one more week, but sadly the mother never returned with her little boy either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we built our house part of the contract was for a designer to give advice. She gave advice alright. In my first phone call she could hear DS in the background and before asking any other questions about him she asked if he slept through the night (he was maybe 6 months at the time). When I said no she told me I HAD to just let him cry-it-out and that was the only thing that would help. After that when anyone asked if DS sleeps through the night the answer was always yes. I now understand why people lie about it.

Lil Miss what a horrible experience . As an older-ish Mum I could never judge someone like that although I have heard some friends let some really rude comments fly at perfect strangers. Needless to say these friends tend to be acquaintances now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yeah I got the hang of lying. Until I was confident enough to just lol at any comments.

Though my dad asked how jasper was sleeping as we had been to sleep school and I said not well, he had gastro, followed by 8 teeth coming through in 2 weeks, so it had been a rocky month. I didnt know I was on speaker phone and my step mum says "hes hungry, what you need to do is put farax in his milk and cut the nipple off" (frightening thought when he was still breast fed. Lol) I just said calmly "oh okay thanks" she kept insisting until she was shrieking "rach! Hes hungry!"

My 97th % 16 month old who she hadnt seen since he was 2 weeks old is clearly STARVING!!!!

If hes hungry id give him food anyway?!?!

Sent from my X10i using BubHub