+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Does anyone know if the safety net that applies to Medicare services and via one that applies to prescriptions is the same thing? By abt September i usually get to 500 bucks worth of scripts, so wondering if this entitles me to cheaper med services? Or is this a separate thing? if you want to make use of the pharmaceutical side of the safety net, it pays to get yr scripts filled at the one pharmacy, as that way it is automated, +they immediately give u scripts for free after you reach the 500 mark. Thanks for your Medicare experiences and knowledge!
    Nope two separate things. One is Medicare safety net other is PBS safety net.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    And the PBS is 60 concessional scripts or $1300 approx of general scripts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    And the PBS is 60 concessional scripts or $1300 approx of general scripts.
    at 60 concessional scripts before the safety net kicks in, and then they are free? It did used to be that you spent $500 on scripts, then PBS ones were free. But it's been a coule of years since I hit the safety net, so my info may be a bit outdated! Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I thought the pbs one kicked in a little under $500, and then you can get cheaper scripts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MsMummy, my name is Rahul and I work at the Australian Government Department of Human Services in a team that responds to enquiries about Medicare benefits on social media sites like this one.

With your first question, if you've reached a Medicare Safety Net threshold, you may be eligible for additional Medicare benefits - for out-of-hospital Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) services - for the remainder of the calendar year.

If you're eligible for Medicare Safety Net benefits, the additional amount is paid automatically at the time the claim is paid.

With your question on psychology services, a Medicare Safety Net benefit is payable for out-of-hospital MBS services, providing the account is paid in full. There's more info on this below:

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/medicare-safety-net?utm_id=9

To discuss your individual circumstances further though, it'd be a good idea to call us on 132 011.

Hope that helps