+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default How does the Medicare Safety Net work?

I just looked at the material on the web site, but want to make sure I've understood it correctly.

I have an $800 invoice from my midwife, which I've paid. I will only get about $50 back from Medicare on it, leaving me about $750 out of pocket.

This will put me over the Medicare Safety Net, as we received a lump sum of FTB Pt A last year.

But, once I am over the safety net, does that mean that Medicare automatically give me more money back on medical expenses without me having to tell the doctor or do anything?

Eg. when I go to the doctor, it is $70. I get approximately $35 back from Medicare. But after we exceed the safety net, will they just automatically give me a higher amount?

Also, does it apply to psychology services where Medicare pays a rebate? I have a mental health care plan for my son, meaning I will get some Medicare money back when I take him to a psychologist. But wiill I get more after we exceed the safety net, or are psychology services excluded?

I know I should phone Medicare, but dealing with call centres is painful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The difference between what you pay and what Medicare reimburses. It's calendar year. So your "balance" starts January first . Next time your in Medicare check everyone is linked and what your balance is. I

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks. I'll definitely be over it due to the invoice that I paid last month, and need to send to medicare.

Hopefully it's just an automated process once I lodge that invoice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You have to register for the extended Medicare safety net it's not automatic. You get extra back from the out of pocket costs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I phoned a while ago, and they said I was registered for the family one, where they combine all your medical expenses to reach the safety net.

I will just phone Medicare after I lodge this invoice, I think, and defer lodging any other invoices until I know that the safety net has been approved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    its not lodgement date its the date of the invoice, date of the service that counts

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand that it the safety net will only apply to services provided after exceeding the net.

What I meant was I lodge the large invoice (which will put me over the safety net), and that hadn't been processed yet (or whatever), then if I lodged another invoice soon after then I might not get back the extra money? I guess I could always take it back in for the extra gap amount anyway.

I have never gone close to the safety net before (the only reason I'm going over this year is due to a home birth), so just want to reduce my hassle in dealing with Medicare. I have a very spirited 3yo who doesn't like sitting around in Medicare offices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it is automated. We were over a few years ago and got it back without having to do anything, I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does anyone know if the safety net that applies to Medicare services and via one that applies to prescriptions is the same thing? By abt September i usually get to 500 bucks worth of scripts, so wondering if this entitles me to cheaper med services? Or is this a separate thing? if you want to make use of the pharmaceutical side of the safety net, it pays to get yr scripts filled at the one pharmacy, as that way it is automated, +they immediately give u scripts for free after you reach the 500 mark. Thanks for your Medicare experiences and knowledge!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I looked into it as I was buying some non pbs scripts, and from memory they are separate nets.

But both count for the tax rebate. I think the tax side was the only purpose of combining.