Closed Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Does she tho? I didnt think failing was an option re attendance? Not going to placement is not attending and she will get a N/A on her certificate in that section

She will hafto pay the money back

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Does she tho? I didnt think failing was an option re attendance? Not going to placement is not attending and she will get a N/A on her certificate in that section

She will hafto pay the money back
    Absolutely no idea. I assumed she knew more than me about it haha
    I guess she can take it again. It was a funded course for her so she didnt pay anything to attend. Its apparently just fulfilling her active job search criteria or something. I dunno much about it.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ahh, i think if its a regular tafe course she decided to do, and it was funded by them, and she was getting paid austudy or newstart or whatever, and failed any section due to a non attempt or absence, boom, hafto pay it back.

Not sure about those job skills/search courses tho.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I like how they think getting work is going to be just that easier for all these mothers returning to the work force.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    Note: There is always the possibility that my understanding was in error.
    Considering how many rules and changes to the rules there are and the fact that most of the employees at Centrelink seem to know any of them, I think one would have to be Einstein to figure it all out

Diamond eyes, I think you are right. I think you actually have to make the effort or you incur a debt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    I think it's great. We have a society that will allow mother's to stay home with their youngest till they turn 8, and then they are expected to return to work to help pay the tax to support other mothers to do the same. I think it is ludicrous to expect the Government to support mothers to stay at home for 18 years (per child). Society depends on everyone contributing and paying tax. Staying at home when there are no children at home during school hours is not a priority. There are better things the Government needs to spend money on. Something has to give in a budget, and paying mothers to be at home- when their children are at schoool- is a waste of money.
    Its actually more about the fact that we will lose money that we need to pay rent, food, elec, water, clothing.
    Not because we feel we should be able to stay home for 18 years!!

Im a single mum of 2, i work & i recieve benifits, if i you were to take those away from me
    - i would lose the house i rent for $700 a fortnight
    - i wouldnt be able to afford the $130 grocery bill
    -no $70 on petrol to get to work
    - no $127 every 3 months for gas for hot showers. & stove use
    - no $100 every 3 months for electricity
    - no $200 every 8 months for water bill
    - no school branded uniforms
    - no $60 a month on mobile payments - the only phone i have
    - no school excursions
    And thats just the start of a long list

I already have a job but due to lack of childcare spots & before & after school spots and then the over all cost of childcare i cant work anymore then 2 days a week due to no spots and only 3 days a week due to kindy n schoolcare eating all my earnings

Not to mention childcare only picks up from certain schools so u may get a spot but they wont pick up and drop off to your childs school

And if you have problems grt into the kindy room like i do - if you found a spot at another kindy out of your suburb and still have no before school care & your childs school starts at 8:30 how do we then get your child into kindy then race back what could be a 30 min drive to ur other childs school for a 8:30 start and then take a 30 min drive to b at work at 9 on the dot so you dont get fired?

And then how many jobs would allow for you to leave at 1:30- 2pm on the dot (traffic dependent) so u can drive 30 mins to your childs school that finishes at 2:30....

Its unrealistic!!
    That leaves me 2 days of work and only able to work 4 and a half hrs each day

Government assistance means my kids are feed clothed and can have a hot shower and not get up st 4:30-5 am just to get to school

It does not mean i get to be paid to stay at home for 8 yrs or 18.

I still have to work regardless because centrelink benifits alone would only cover food & rent and sbsolutely nothing else!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbygirl For This Useful Post:

Ahpez  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am feeling a little more enlightened
    So the main issue seems to be parents wages will no longer be subsidized? At all? Or at a lower rate (the new start rate)?
    If this is the case then I agree.... A working parent earning low wages should b subsidized more than a single person.... Obviously the living costs of a parent are more!
    My issue was with parents who chose not to work while their children are in school. In my opinion this should not b a choice.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Can someone enlighten me - isn't this change just for the people who were previously under the grandfather (is that what it's called - Ana?) system of payments?

Wasn't this cutoff already in place for the majority of people?

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    For single parents? No, that cuts out at 8. I read it as the welfare for single parents as that is usually what these conversations end up about.

Do you mean the grandfathered PPS was till age 18?
    As far as I know - it changed around 2000 (I think) because I remember it changed after my step children were born.

The grandfathered system was put into place at the time - meaning that people under the old system were given a longer period to adjust, put plans in place to get ready for the shift to newstart.

As far as I understand, what they've done here, is drop anyone who was previously under the grandfathered payment system from it - that is the change.

Again - I could be wrong. It's obvious that the CL system isn't clear to understand for anybody

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other thing those bumped off SPP onto Newstart will lose is their pension card. This will cost them other discounts such as:
    * discount on phone bill
    * discount on electricity bill (includes no ambulance subscription fee in Queensland)
    * discount on car registration
    * concession rates on public transport
    * numerous private discounts offered to pensioners (though more of these are being limited to aged pensioners only)
    Last edited by sweetseven; 10-05-2012 at 12:36.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast