Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's great. We have a society that will allow mother's to stay home with their youngest till they turn 8, and then they are expected to return to work to help pay the tax to support other mothers to do the same. I think it is ludicrous to expect the Government to support mothers to stay at home for 18 years (per child). Society depends on everyone contributing and paying tax. Staying at home when there are no children at home during school hours is not a priority. There are better things the Government needs to spend money on. Something has to give in a budget, and paying mothers to be at home- when their children are at schoool- is a waste of money.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I assume a bigger problem is what happens when the youngest child turns 18, and payments stop altogether. Then what will a mother do? She will have been out of the workforce for at least 18 years. It would be so difficult for a woman to get her foot back in the door of her previous career or experience after such a long time. Women can't be paid to stay at home forever; they have to return to work at some point. I think age 8 is not unreasonable.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    I think it's great. We have a society that will allow mother's to stay home with their youngest till they turn 8, and then they are expected to return to work to help pay the tax to support other mothers to do the same. I think it is ludicrous to expect the Government to support mothers to stay at home for 18 years (per child). Society depends on everyone contributing and paying tax. Staying at home when there are no children at home during school hours is not a priority. There are better things the Government needs to spend money on. Something has to give in a budget, and paying mothers to be at home- when their children are at schoool- is a waste of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    I assume a bigger problem is what happens when the youngest child turns 18, and payments stop altogether. Then what will a mother do? She will have been out of the workforce for at least 18 years. It would be so difficult for a woman to get her foot back in the door of her previous career or experience after such a long time. Women can't be paid to stay at home forever; they have to return to work at some point. I think age 8 is not unreasonable.

I agree with this.

If people are going to need assistance then they should be willing to also help the next generation of people needing assistance. Honestly this is a good plan some people need their arms twisted to get up and care for themselves, its sad that there are other people that cause grief and the need to even do this.

By saving 700m then maybe they can do something to help with childcare more or even free for say first 2 years or something then base the payment on their income. IMO people should return to work earlier than 6 years, maternity leave isnt 6 years many people return to work and have the kids in day care and those kids and parents are just fine.

Another option for those who cant find work is to have them volunteer in governmental agencies which would train them for employment and save the government even more money because they wouldnt have to hire people like secretaries, receptionists, janitors etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I have neither the time, energy or money to do anything.

Guess I will have to stick to my 'pity party' posts.
    Try to ignore the inflammatory remarks, this is a forum..not quite sure what we're meant to do here if we shouldn't discuss things

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (09-05-2012),delirium  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    So it doesn't sound like this will benefit anyone, and nobody likes the changes.

But it won't stop, and it will get worse if we only write sad forum posts about it.

If we are really that devastated by it, or know someone who will suffer from it, then speak up! Write to the Herald Sun, write to the women's magazines, write to the heads of state and to Julia and your council. Rile up the single fathers and mothers who are going to struggle, leave your job for the day, take your kids, the ones who are going to suffer for it in the end, march to Parliament and say that you're not going to stand for it.

When it's close to election time and there's a big anti-government riot, the opposing sides scrabble to be the first ones to "fix" the problem.
    now is the perfect time to express your anger and demand change, we're at a perfect time to get what we want if we have the guts to stop writing Facebook statuses and actually do something about it.

We all know someone who is going to suffer for it and our kids will suffer from it in the future. Once they've taken away one right without hearing a peep of protest, do you think it will stop?
    No, next there will be no Family Tax Benefit, no disability, no pension. And it will be too late to do anything aboiut it because when we had a chance, we didn't take it.

It's like BSL in Victoria at the moment.
    When they began banning "pitbulls" everyone agreed and supported it. Yes, ban the dangerous breeds and the Government promises that dog bite statistics will decline. Instead, the statistics rose.
    So they added more breeds to the ban list, and bites continued to rise or stay at the same level. So the Government told us the problem is all of the bull breeds, and the new law is they will intrude on your proerty, and if it looks like a bull breed, they'll seize and destroy it.
    Now all the smug morons who supported a pitbull ban are having their family dogs seized and destroyed because "it looks like a bull breed". Bad luck if it's a 18 year old Lab x that has never even lifted a lip to another person, if it looks like a bull breed, it's dead.
    But it's too late to ark up about it now, because when we had the chance to say no, we ignored it.
    Now they're considering adding anything over 60 kilos to the ban list, following Europe's example.
    In a decade all you'll be able to own are dog-shaped stuffed toys.

So what are we going to do about all of this? Make more poor-me pity party posts, or do something?

I wrote a letter to the Herald Sun and to MX today.
    Why don't you pitch in?
    You think we haven't? The letters I have written focus on the shortage of school age care, not the drop in payment. As a mum of a special needs child it doesn't affect me, but the amount is not enough to live off, yet I also do not currently have the option to work.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it has been a very long time since welfare was till the child was 18, if ever.

I personally do not know any single mother who does not hate being on welfare and wants to get off it as soon as possible. However, dumping us onto Newstart does not help us do that. It sinks us further into poverty with few ways out. It completely ignores the various barriers that are in front of many single mothers who are already struggling.

The estimated $700 million will not go back into childcare and there is no way they will make childcare free. The global economy is like a house of cards, threatening to collapse at any moment. This $700 million savings they are talking about is not a guarantee, they could make all these cuts, something drastic will happen and bye, bye savings and surplus.

As for the idea for volunteering at government agencies... that would not work for the Australian public service.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

share a book  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I think it has been a very long time since welfare was till the child was 18, if ever.
    The changes that came in January this year allow for it (as long as the child is in full-time secondary education). Prior to this year it would cut out at 16 regardless of the educational status of the child.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    For single parents? No, that cuts out at 8. I read it as the welfare for single parents as that is usually what these conversations end up about.

Do you mean the grandfathered PPS was till age 18?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was talking about those able to remain on PPS past 8, whether it be due to grandfathered status, or special exemption (large family, special needs child, etc).

Of course I may be wrong, but that is how I understood it. (Prior to this year, it cut out at 16.) I was surprised when reading the changes (that came in Jan 2011) that they would have that side effect.

But now the upcoming new rules seem to eliminate that. (If I am reading correctly, even those with special circumstances, will still be dropped to the Newstart payment rates; They'll just be exempt from an Employment Pathway Plan and Activity Agreement.)

Note: There is always the possibility that my understanding was in error.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have they made any cuts to the people on Centerlink who are actually bludging? You know, the people without kids to look after or without any disabilities...the ones who just dont want to work?
    I have a girl in my course who is on Centerlink and the other day my lecturer told her she was 6 assignments (units) behind and they all need to be handed in by the following Monday otherwise she cant get sent on the 4 week block placement. The girl later told me 'I wont be doing it. I can just miss out on the placement, attend the last 2 weeks of course after that, fail the course and I still get paid because I am doing my active study requirements. Im here, arent I?'. So yeah....what about people like that? Im sure a single mother of special needs family could do with her portion of payment.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

share a book  (10-05-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast