Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    dignity of work?

because i dont work i dont have any dignity? >_<

or am i taking that the wrong way?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (05-05-2012),share a book  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i think if they are making changes to encourage people to return to the workforce they need to make before and after school care accessible and at low cost.
    i teach PPP programs and they are great to take advantage of to gain skills and qualifications for return to employment. but not every employer accomodates school hours.
    it's a shame the cuts aren't going to increase the pension for disability and carers though - i think those sorts of pensions are the ones that should get priority in terms of access.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (05-05-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    i think if they are making changes to encourage people to return to the workforce they need to make before and after school care accessible and at low cost.
    Snap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleerose View Post
    The government were smart with how they have done this first they split the single parents against each other ie newer recipients were under the new rules first which of course wasnt fair to them and of course they were not happy but it was brushed over and now the government pretty much as divided and conquered this issue.
    I never thought of it like that.

As for myself, being in the grandfather clause group, I found it as a disincentive to work. I considered many times getting a job, but then realised if I did so and had a break in my SPP then I would no longer be considered grandfathered and subject to the new rules when my youngest child reaches 6yo. Therefore, getting a job now was opening myself up to risk. (It turns out it was moot because of this new change that will occur before my youngest child reaches 6yo anyway.)

I had the same feelings about the PHI age penalty. Since I am over the age of 30yo and thus will suffer a penalty surcharge if I take out PHI hospital cover, I will not consider it at all. I have extras cover and there have been a few times it has crossed my mind to look at a package deal, but I hear age surcharge screaming in the back of my mind and quickly dismiss the thought. I also know of other people that previously had PHI hospital cover, but fell on hard times and let it lapse for a couple of years. Then when their situation improved they found they would be subject to the penalty fee if they took it up again, so they neglected to do so. Whereas if it wasn't for the penalty fee they would have as soon as it was again financially viable for them to do so.

-----------

Also, young parents currently have it really hard with the must be working or studying requirement - perhaps after a few years they will apply that to everyone.

I know of one young mum (whos partner was working in a fulltime apprenticeship) that when her third child was due her two existing children were 2yo & 4yo. She requested an exemption to the must work or study requirement and was graciously granted six weeks. I thought that was crazy. How is any Mum supposed to handle three young children (a 6wk, 2yo, and 4yo) and study or work whilst her partner is working? She was fortunate that her own mother (who is already caring for a school child with special needs) was able to assist her somewhat, but she has no-one else. (She was also her mother's support for when she needed a break from her special needs child, and she can no longer offer that needed support.)

Other young parents (who have completed senior studies) are still required to begin a plan to reenter studies or work once their child is only six months old, and start on that plan by the time their child is only twelve months old. Whatever happened to quality time at home with toddlers?

Should we be expecting these stringent requirements to be applied to all parents in the future? I sure hope not.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 05-05-2012 at 18:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This government is cutting "costs" in all the wrong places...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

austmum  (10-05-2012),LoveLivesHere  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    This government is cutting "costs" in all the wrong places...
    Agreed!

They've got it all bum up with care.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone know how this will affect parents on disability?

I cannot imagine a parents, single or partnered, being forced into work if they have a terminal disability, however it is "no exceptions". Surely a true disability that totally restricts your ability to work is an acceptable exception?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    You think cuts under this government are bad, wait until Abbott gets voted in.

This is nothing new anyway, people already need to go onto newstart once their youngest is 6. I don't really see how this is any different.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (05-05-2012),share a book  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the changes- there is no reason why someone with a 15 yr old child can not get a job- or study to get a decent job. Its assistance not income!
    I am a single parent and am on the grandfatherd system but during the time I have been a single parent I have completed a tafe certificate- by correspondence and am at the end of a bachelors degree- in that time I have only had to use after school care for 3 weeks and have been fortunate enough not to need daycare but also dont have support from family or the ex(100% care for me) and have worked around everything else to get me to where I am.

I do think though the government need to aim some of the 700 million at cheaper but better quality before, after school and vacation care as well as some sort of better assistance to single parents who are studying- such as making the Centrelink start up scholarship availableto sole parents.

I find it interesting that so many of the news reports state it will affect single mother as if mothers are the only ones who are on PPS and there are no single fathers who would be claiming PPS.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MommaBear For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (10-05-2012),halloweendee  (05-05-2012),Lovemyfam  (09-05-2012),Sunshinemoonlight  (05-05-2012),ToughLove  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    Does anyone know how this will affect parents on disability?

I cannot imagine a parents, single or partnered, being forced into work if they have a terminal disability, however it is "no exceptions". Surely a true disability that totally restricts your ability to work is an acceptable exception?
    I am guessing they would be subject to the same rules that non-parents are for Sickness Benefit instead of Newstart. That however is a guess on my part.