Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It seems like a stupid idea. The only people who miss out are the kids(who the gov wanted us to have) now they are taking away the help to raise them. Many of the single mums I know have bosses who are not tolerant of mums needs to care for their children. Child care is NOT affordable(a reason I do not have my kids in after school care). I do not know how a single parent is going to cope.

It is hard enough for me as a coupled parent. The Gov wants to save money but it is at the expense of the child.

I hope she only announced this to show Tony Abbort views as he has since her announcement.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fairyflossfairy For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleerose View Post
    Id like to know how this will work for me. I am a sole parent of two my youngest has just turned 10. I am a casual worker for a few different companies (3) and have just taken on a fourth job (for a new shop opening in june). My concern is that i have always had the safety net of my parenting payment to fall back on as being a casual my work is up and down (i have no control over it) with the newstart next july one fortnight i might be eligable for the newstart the next not so what happens here???? i cannot survive with just my employment income alone and cannot rely on it and its not as if i havent done more than enough to better my circumstances, i have two resumes full of qualifications and my children have permanant bookings into afterschool care every day as well as holidays so that i am available (mind you this is the only afterschool/vacation care service in this area).
    It is my understanding that they will cut you off if you go three successive fortnights with zero payment. I just looked up the centrelink site, and a parent with a dependant child on newstart is eligable for a partial payment if they earn less than $976.34 in a fortnight. So if I am correct, as long as you earn less than $976.34 every third fortnight, then you will be able to stay on the payment.

However staying on Newstart has other requirements to prove that you are trying to improve your employment situation. So you will likely have to provide a list of employers you have applied for work at, or agree to do some study or volunteer work.

The big penalty you will face is a lower payment and a lower threshold for reducing payments. You will start at approx $200pf less on your payment max rate, and then this will be reduce for income above $62pf (as opposed to income above $174.60pf), which means approx a further $55pf fortnight you will be worse off.

So in your current working situation, you will be approx $255pf worse off to start with, plus:
    * have to comply with an employment pathway plan, and
    * risk being cutoff and needing to reapply if you ever have three successive fortnights earning $976.34pf or more.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 05-05-2012 at 11:12. Reason: Forgot to halve the difference in income thresholds to account for 50c in the dollar reduction in payments.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

ashleerose  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks sweetseven for your post, i have understandably been freaking out since i heard about these changes. Originally i heard it was to come into effect once my youngest turned 12 but seems like it will be coming into effect next July.

Its not as if i havent been preparing for this day as i never fully expected the government to support my kids and i until they were 16.

However i have tried unsuccessfully to obtain permanant full time or part time work. Just this week i was told i had another job 4th for a new supermarket i have made it more than obvious to the employer that i am happy to do full or part time work and i am interested in going permanant and i even mentioned in my interview that yes i am a sole parent and that i was concerned about having another casual job as i need security and that i will be affected once my youngest turns 12 seems however more urgent now this has come into place.

My main concern apart from my debt (car loan to parents which they got for me as i couldnt get a loan) and my credit card debt is the usual bills ie rent, electricity phone etc for at the moment we at least get the pension discount i guess we no longer will have that but will instead receive $7.00 or therabouts to help with the rising costs of electricity.

I for one cannot cut back anymore than i have, petrol etc is eating away most of my earnings (funny seems to cost more to go to work then not to) lucky for me this new job is just around the corner if i can secure permancy i will give away all of the others i just want security and a roof over my kids head.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Looks like they are getting rid of the pensioner education supplement as well

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226347281691

That will be another cut to my payment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to ask if anyone knows whether i will still receive the ccr ie discounted after school fees because at the moment i pay nearly $200 per fortnight and i really cannot afford to pay anymore than this???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They are implementing the system for everyone now.
    I became single after the last 'cut off' date so I was switched to newstart when DD turned 6.

It really took its toll, especially as I was studying at the time and couldn't work.
    I had to rush back into a minimum wage job to keep a roof over our heads and it was SO hard. We'd be up at 6am, out the door for school by 7.30 which was an hours drive away (their father wouldn't agree to change them and the courts thought it was a 'fair distance to travel' for me.). Id drop the kids off and have to drive another hour to work which started at 9.30am.
    I finished work at 2.30 some days and 4.30 on others. The 2.30 days I had to rush to get to school pick up by 3.30..if I was late the kids were put into OSHC which I could barely afford as I was already paying for 3 days for my 4.30 finishes. On my 4.30 finish days, it could take the hour and a half to navigate the peak hour traffic to get there..which resulted in several late fees too.An hours plus drive to get back home on those days would get us home by 6.30-7pm and Id do dinner and rush the kids to bed. I did it for 2 long, long years.
    4 plus hours per day in the car, being out of the house for 12-13 hours a day took a severe toll on me...

I ended up severely depressed, suicidal and was contemplating taking my kids with me. I ended up on massive doses of antidepressants to cope.

I quit my job, and stuffed around with job interviews that I had no chance of getting just to stay on the newstart.

This whole thing is a BAD, BAD idea in my opinion, its going to ruin peoples lives.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

nelle7250  (05-05-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (05-05-2012),Stiflers Mom  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ashleerose you should still be entitled to the pension concession card.

I'm going to be slugged further as my exes (long story) debt will then be coming out of my FTA/FTB. So much for a payment to "help raise children".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Trillianx

To be honest this is only the beginning we pretty much follow England with these things (for some reason) next big overhaul is the disabled and elderly, big changes for everyone in store watch this space....lol.

The government were smart with how they have done this first they split the single parents against each other ie newer recipients were under the new rules first which of course wasnt fair to them and of course they were not happy but it was brushed over and now the government pretty much as divided and conquered this issue. They will more than likely do the same to the disability and elderly will be interesting to watch how that goes down (and yes i am concerned as my brothers are both on disability and my parents are on elderly).

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    They need to at least make Child Care/After school care/Vacation care more affordable. I pay roughly $45 (per day) for 3.5hrs of after school care twice a week so I can attend my study course. I pay for the full 3.5hrs whether he is there for 10mins or the full 3.5hrs. Its just stupid prices. I think if they want to literally push parents back into the workforce, they need to sweeten the deal a bit, and affordable child care would be a good start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Trillianx

I would fight whatever debt your ex has incurred and i would go see a social worker.