Closed Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    This is the situation that is being created by Centrelink not pushing people to work earlier than 6-8 years, not saying anything about you or your situation personally but we will have more and more people who have not worked for so many years that it is going to be very hard to get to work after all the kids are of age. This will hurt this generation but the generations to come will benefit from it and not be out of work so long and not requiring them to be in school at least.

I know some people are down on certain jobs but in reality people who need jobs cant be picky this will help some see that they just need to get a job and support themselves there is no way around it.

I am sure that there will be exemptions and they really should invest in affordable childcare. I know it differs from area to area but I have yet to see a place with no jobs what so ever, they are there they just have to be prepared to clean toilets if they have too its a job and they can always get better ones.
    Well what are your words of wisdom to this
    - my job is to clean toilets and guess what with both centrelink benifits and my job i still only just get by!

So once i lose my pension once my kid is 8 i will continue to clean toilets and still not make enough for basic needs like food and shelter.

Its not as simple as get a job. And no we have to be picky
    - picky on hours due to lack of childcare
    - picky on which jobs pay more so we can feed our kids

And i have seen plenty of places with no jobs, try all the ones i asked if they are hiring. Even the job help centre couldnt find anything in my area at this time.

What will hurt this generation is more kids living in poverty cause of lack of childcare, lack of good paying jobs.

And not to mention iv gone for interviews before and the second i mention kids - bam- interview is over.

Its not that easy! And there are people already doing the crumy jobs that pay crumy money like cleaning toilets i know because that is what my job is!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbygirl For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    Well what are your words of wisdom to this
    - my job is to clean toilets and guess what with both centrelink benifits and my job i still only just get by!

So once i lose my pension once my kid is 8 i will continue to clean toilets and still not make enough for basic needs like food and shelter.

Its not as simple as get a job. And no we have to be picky
    - picky on hours due to lack of childcare
    - picky on which jobs pay more so we can feed our kids

And i have seen plenty of places with no jobs, try all the ones i asked if they are hiring. Even the job help centre couldnt find anything in my area at this time.

What will hurt this generation is more kids living in poverty cause of lack of childcare, lack of good paying jobs.

And not to mention iv gone for interviews before and the second i mention kids - bam- interview is over.

Its not that easy! And there are people already doing the crumy jobs that pay crumy money like cleaning toilets i know because that is what my job is!
    On newstart though, don't you just need to be looking for work ? Until you find the right job that suits you, there isn't a limit on your payments is there?

My SIL moved to newstart and she had no skills and hardly any experience so it took her quite awhile of looking to find the right job, but now she's working in family day care (school hours) and is also training part of the time, so is still getting a part payment to supplement her benefit.

Isn't newstart to help you out until you do find a job that will support you financially, and you can work around school hours? If you can't they don't cut your allowance do they, you just need to be looking for work/studying?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    This is the situation that is being created by Centrelink not pushing people to work earlier than 6-8 years, not saying anything about you or your situation personally but we will have more and more people who have not worked for so many years that it is going to be very hard to get to work after all the kids are of age. This will hurt this generation but the generations to come will benefit from it and not be out of work so long and not requiring them to be in school at least.

I know some people are down on certain jobs but in reality people who need jobs cant be picky this will help some see that they just need to get a job and support themselves there is no way around it.

I am sure that there will be exemptions and they really should invest in affordable childcare. I know it differs from area to area but I have yet to see a place with no jobs what so ever, they are there they just have to be prepared to clean toilets if they have too its a job and they can always get better ones.
    Well, I am sooooo glad you are not saying anything about my situation

The ultimate goal is to get off welfare, not languish on it for the rest of my life. Cleaning toilets will not allow a person on welfare to support themselves. If cleaning toilets paid that well, everyone would be doing it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As far as I am concerned this policy is straight out of Charles Dickens, and it breaks my heart.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Isn't newstart to help you out until you do find a job that will support you financially, and you can work around school hours? If you can't they don't cut your allowance do they, you just need to be looking for work/studying?
    For a working parent, switching from PPS to Newstart will put them approx $130pw worse off, plus they will also lose their pension card benefits (electricity discount, vehicle registration discount, concession rates on public transport, etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was on newstart when pregnant and lost my job, because I was pregnant. It is hard getting a job when you are six months pregnant. I didn't get one, the whole 7 months I was on newstart for. They never cut my newstart because of it. I then had my son and started full-time study when he was 10 months, which has not been easy. My point is, that newstart will be very flexible for those who need to find specific jobs, and will allow you to train as well. 8 years is a long enough time to develop skills and learn a trade or get a tertiary degree. People are acting as if the Government is cutting off benefits the first day of school and parents are totally unprepared for it. 8 years is a long time to prepare for it, and should circumstances have arisen during that 8 years where a mother couldn't possibly develop her skills and education, then newstart allows for that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    I was on newstart when pregnant and lost my job, because I was pregnant. It is hard getting a job when you are six months pregnant. I didn't get one, the whole 7 months I was on newstart for. They never cut my newstart because of it. I then had my son and started full-time study when he was 10 months, which has not been easy. My point is, that newstart will be very flexible for those who need to find specific jobs, and will allow you to train as well. 8 years is a long enough time to develop skills and learn a trade or get a tertiary degree. People are acting as if the Government is cutting off benefits the first day of school and parents are totally unprepared for it. 8 years is a long time to prepare for it, and should circumstances have arisen during that 8 years where a mother couldn't possibly develop her skills and education, then newstart allows for that.
    Yes, but newstart is a significantly lower monetary amount than the current parenting payment, which will disadvantage people while they are receiving it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FindMyLunch For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (11-05-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    8 years is a long time to prepare for it, and should circumstances have arisen during that 8 years where a mother couldn't possibly develop her skills and education, then newstart allows for that.
    Assuming that one is single the moment their child is born, then yes, there is 8 years to prepare.

Highlighting one's own achievements rarely helps as everyone has their own circumstances.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (11-05-2012),Trillianx  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Partnered parents won't lose out financially. The partnered rate as I say, is roughly $450 p/f. The partnered newstart is $450 p/f. But single PP is around $650 p/f and single newstart is only about $500 from memory? so they are losing $150 p/f, which is food for a mother and a child for that period. That's a big drop.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

FindMyLunch  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    For a working parent, switching from PPS to Newstart will put them approx $130pw worse off, plus they will also lose their pension card benefits (electricity discount, vehicle registration discount, concession rates on public transport, etc).
    So is that where the new change will come in? My friend and I looked it up to figure out the best thing for her to do, the Parenting Payment for her is $648 (f/n) and Newstart will be between $539 and $648 (f/n). The other things like rent assistance, ftb are all the same. We couldn't figure out where the big cut is? Or have they not released the details yet?