Closed Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Blah living on newstart with a child wouldn't work. I was made redundant after I fell pregnant and hadn't found any other employers who want to employ a 6month pregnant woman. With newstart and my partner working.. We cover rent, groceries and necessity bills but nothing is left over. Having another mouth to feed aswell? I don't see it happening. But saying that, I don't personally plan on being a stay at home mum for that long. I want a part time job or to study after a year or two.

I think yes they could encourage part time work or training, but put them on newstart with a child to feed? Thats wrong. I could see many families being kicked out of their homes. Why don't they just make them do the job search requirements or to volunteer while on the same pay? The amount they earn before their payments get affected should be increased aswel.

And remember when your working (either for the doll or wage) your fuel/transport goes up, so does your phone bill and groceries and then there's child care. Laundry items. New work clothes/shoes.

An there's always a shortage of work and training. You really think most people would prefer to barely live day by day or to work and actually have money to buy nice things or save for houses/holidays? It's a lack of work and training which is the problem. These days there is 100 applicants for the 1 job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think this scheme has been in place for about 8 years now, so there are really only a few changes.

I was wondering, just out of interest sake for the people (singles and couples) that are unable to work because childcare would be too much, aren't your kids in school? (if they are 6 or 8) Or do you mean paying a baby sitter at night or between end of school and when you finish work?

If mothers and fathers work part time when the kids are in school, will you still get a partial payment?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm actually trying to work this out for my friend (who has a kid about to turn 7). On the centrelink online calculator if she was on newstart it only works out less than 100 a fortnight different to the single parent pension (which she is currently on). Thats including all the stuff like FTB and rent assistance. Does anyone know where the big cuts to income are?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Not everyone on PPS gets the same amount. There are a lot of variables. Personally, when I went onto newstart from PPS, I lost $100 a week.

Getting before and after school care can be difficult in places as there are no spaces, which can make working challenging for a single parent as there are not a huge amount of jobs that are within school hours that earn enough to get us off welfare.

For me, I am 35 with no formal qualifications or skills and have been out of the work force caring for my child. There are few jobs available to me that earn enough to support myself and my child with those circumstances. When there are 40-45 year olds with degrees having trouble finding work (anecdotal from people writing into newspapers), the reality is that I will have trouble finding work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Oh I am talking about a married couple who wouldnt usually be sleeping in different rooms and I dont think most single people have another adult they are paying for a room for. I am confused on it all I guess
    If that married couple split, then they are still two people. However as two singles they are entitled to more than as two members of a couple.

Looking up Newstart rates.

$442.00pf, partnered (each)
    $489.70pf, single
    $529.80pf, single, with dependant child, or aged 60+
    $648.50pf, single, principal carer with exemption

A partnered person gets $47.70pf less than a single person because of the assumption that they can share some expenses with their partner.

A single parent gets a little more to compensate for the added difficulties of raising children without support. A single parent receives $40.10pf more than a single non-parent. A single principal carer or elderly (60+) person receives $118.70pf more than a single parent that is deemed capable of working.

So a partnered couple receives $884pf, which is higher than any of the rates for a single person. But if separated those two adults will each receive more than when partnered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It's as simple as this:

a partnered couple, both on benefits get more than a single parent as a whole. But they get less *each* than what a single parent does. base rate for PPP is around $450 p/f, a partner on newstart the same. So not including FTB they bring in $900. A single mum gets about $650 not including FTB. So less than the couple but more than each one seperately.

I think that's fair enough. If Dh and I broke up, while I wouldn't have to feed or clothe him (which is why the total is more than SPP) I would still need a 3 bedroom house, still use the same power, still need the same petrol, gas etc. Thus why SPP is more than *one* person's payments in a couple. If anything single parents are much worse off for the above reasons.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Not everyone on PPS gets the same amount. There are a lot of variables. Personally, when I went onto newstart from PPS, I lost $100 a week.

Getting before and after school care can be difficult in places as there are no spaces, which can make working challenging for a single parent as there are not a huge amount of jobs that are within school hours that earn enough to get us off welfare.

For me, I am 35 with no formal qualifications or skills and have been out of the work force caring for my child. There are few jobs available to me that earn enough to support myself and my child with those circumstances. When there are 40-45 year olds with degrees having trouble finding work (anecdotal from people writing into newspapers), the reality is that I will have trouble finding work.
    This is the situation that is being created by Centrelink not pushing people to work earlier than 6-8 years, not saying anything about you or your situation personally but we will have more and more people who have not worked for so many years that it is going to be very hard to get to work after all the kids are of age. This will hurt this generation but the generations to come will benefit from it and not be out of work so long and not requiring them to be in school at least.

I know some people are down on certain jobs but in reality people who need jobs cant be picky this will help some see that they just need to get a job and support themselves there is no way around it.

I am sure that there will be exemptions and they really should invest in affordable childcare. I know it differs from area to area but I have yet to see a place with no jobs what so ever, they are there they just have to be prepared to clean toilets if they have too its a job and they can always get better ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    This is the situation that is being created by Centrelink not pushing people to work earlier than 6-8 years, not saying anything about you or your situation personally but we will have more and more people who have not worked for so many years that it is going to be very hard to get to work after all the kids are of age. This will hurt this generation but the generations to come will benefit from it and not be out of work so long and not requiring them to be in school at least.

I know some people are down on certain jobs but in reality people who need jobs cant be picky this will help some see that they just need to get a job and support themselves there is no way around it.

I am sure that there will be exemptions and they really should invest in affordable childcare. I know it differs from area to area but I have yet to see a place with no jobs what so ever, they are there they just have to be prepared to clean toilets if they have too its a job and they can always get better ones.
    It's not as simple as that though. Sometimes there are no child care places. Many jobs simply won't let you work school hours, then your left with out of school care you either a) can't afford b) there's no places. You have a husband that stays home so you can work and not pay child care. Imagine is you have another, you break up and have say 2 kids under 3. Even with CC assistance you are looking at probably $70 a day min. When you only bring home $100 after tax you get $30 in the hand, while losing a huge chuck of your payments. When you are paying $400 a week in the city for a tiny unit, there's no way a single mum can do that.

Things are usually not black and white and mostly shades of grey.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (11-05-2012),HarvestMoon  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I work with young women who will be impacted on by this, it sucks. However, my hope is that good stuff may follow like affordable care options and greater support for mothers of young children to study. Hmmmm
    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    It's not as simple as that though. Sometimes there are no child care places. Many jobs simply won't let you work school hours, then your left with out of school care you either a) can't afford b) there's no places. You have a husband that stays home so you can work and not pay child care. Imagine is you have another, you break up and have say 2 kids under 3. Even with CC assistance you are looking at probably $70 a day min. When you only bring home $100 after tax you get $30 in the hand, while losing a huge chuck of your payments. When you are paying $400 a week in the city for a tiny unit, there's no way a single mum can do that.

Things are usually not black and white and mostly shades of grey.
    This ^^^^ if it was all as simple as 'put your kids in care and get a job' there'd be a hell of a lot more of us doing it!!!

This attitude really annoys me. Walk in my shoes, then tell me how easy it is.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (11-05-2012),share a book  (10-05-2012)