Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Unhappy Parent support payments scaled back to save budget $700m

Single, unemployed parents will lose their parenting support payments when their youngest child turns eight, while people on welfare will forfeit their benefits if they travel overseas for more than six weeks.
    These measures have been announced as the federal government scrambles to find savings to achieve its promised budget surplus.
    Assistant Treasurer David Bradbury confirmed news reports today on the scale-back in parenting payments, which is expected to reap about $700 million in savings.

Under the changes, single parents would lose support payments when their youngest child turns eight. Parents would then be transferred to the Newstart allowance.
    Previously, support payments for single, out-of-work parents ended when the youngest child turned 16.
    For unemployed parents with partners, income support will end when their youngest child turns six.
    The parenting payment is currently worth $648.50 a fortnight for single, unemployed parents, while partnered parents receive the $442 fortnightly income support payment.
    Mr Bradbury was careful to frame the budget cuts as a measure to encourage people into the "dignity of work".
    "Government assistance needs to be targeted," Mr Bradbury said. "It needs to be well targeted to people who need that assistance most."
    Additionally, about 25,000 people receiving family tax benefits who spend more than six weeks a year overseas will lose their payments.
    Exemptions will continue to apply for parents in special circumstances, including those caring for a child with a disability.
    Workplace Relations Minister Bill Shorten said welfare payments should be regarded as a temporary measure and not a disincentive for people to find paid work.
    "We believe that, once children are at school, parents should be encouraged and supported back into the workforce," Mr Shorten said.
    "A job is essential to a family's wellbeing and helping them make ends meet."
    Opposition Leader Tony Abbott backed the expected scale back in payments, saying he is in favour of people working wherever possible.
    "I think that if you are fit and young, you should work," he told ABC Radio.
    "Preferably you should work for a wage, but if not, you should work for the dole."
    But the Greens families spokeswoman, Rachel Siewert, described the potential changes to the single parenting payment as a "cost-cutting measure" that would "punish children and vulnerable families".
    “Around 100,000 parents and their children will be plunged further into poverty as a result of such a cut,” Senator Siewert said.
    “This is cost-cutting that can't be dressed up as a measure to help people into work."

http://www.nationaltimes.com.au/busi...504-1y2z8.html

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wonder what happens if you homeschool?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It can't be a bad thing but I hope they will be flexible as not everyone is in the same position

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From what I understand the will apply to people without extenuating circumstances etc who have no reason not to reenter the workforce. I think it's a good thing. It will have more families in a better standard of living and set a good example to children as well as keeping people's skills current etc. as for homeschoolers I'm not sure- I guess that is a lifestyle choice so IMO (and this is just my opinion) that should be up to the family to fund OR perhaps funded in a different way- I don't think new start is appropriate for someone with no intention or joining the workforce, considering it is also supposed to provide courses and job search help.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its stupid!! Not everyone can get a job that pays enough to cover rent, food, school and so on.

If they are going to cut so much back then they better start uping our wage and or cut back on rent.

I work & get benifits, abd my rent is still almost as much as i earn!

But at this stage i cant get a better job that pays enough to cover bills, and as im sick of my current job, every job i have gone for needs you to be available for 7 days rosters including thursday nights!

Im a single parent with bo family bear by, i cant work nights, i cant work thursday nights, i need work from 9 till 2:30, as any more then afterschool care n before care will eat through the little earnings i make.

I support getting people to work!! But if they are not gonna help us get better paying jobs, or cut tge orice of living then they are going to see alot more single mums & kids living in poverty!!!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbygirl For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (05-05-2012),nelle7250  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This changed a few years ago.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Pearl Barley  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Angry What it means

This proposal doesn't change the working rules. What it's changing is the "grandfathered" parenting payment. Next year in July, everyone who has been receiving Parenting Payment (single) since before 2006 will have their payment cut completely or moved over to Newstart. For me this means I will lose $145 pf. Lose my pensioner discounts, and have no safety net when I have to take unpaid leave for my son's medical appointments. Which lost me two days pay just last month.

I'm one of the lucky ones I have a fulltime job so I get some leave entitlements and my son is just old enough to cope on his own getting home from school and being by himself during the holidays. I don't think he's really old enough but we have no choice. I will be up the creek if I lose my lease though! Thank God I didn't accept my bosses request to drop to part time so he could employ a second worker part time!

The unlucky parents will be the ones working only part-time and casual. These parents will have to get second jobs if they can find them and/or require their older children (14+) to get jobs to support the family. Great idea huh? Parent and child competing for the same jobs!

So the government is basically destroying families. Parents can no longer be there for their kids. Can't attend school functions/parent teacher interviews. Grandparents can't either because they have to work til they die. And the latchkey kids are left to fend for themselves. Rents continue to skyrocket and here comes the Carbon Tax!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id like to know how this will work for me. I am a sole parent of two my youngest has just turned 10. I am a casual worker for a few different companies (3) and have just taken on a fourth job (for a new shop opening in june). My concern is that i have always had the safety net of my parenting payment to fall back on as being a casual my work is up and down (i have no control over it) with the newstart next july one fortnight i might be eligable for the newstart the next not so what happens here???? i cannot survive with just my employment income alone and cannot rely on it and its not as if i havent done more than enough to better my circumstances, i have two resumes full of qualifications and my children have permanant bookings into afterschool care every day as well as holidays so that i am available (mind you this is the only afterschool/vacation care service in this area).

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are on the Grandfathered you will lose. Newstart has a tougher income assessment. It cuts off earlier than PP(S). You will lose income even if you are still entitled to claim.

Centrelink has calculators which can give you how worse off you will be.
    Last edited by Trillianx; 05-05-2012 at 09:48.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trillianx For This Useful Post:

ashleerose  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Trillianx,

So basically i am going to have to work out which of my casual jobs is more reliable and stick with that and cut the rest as I dont want to have no security ie one fortnight im okay the next not so. Id love a permanant full time or part time job but unfortunately these days its all about casual employment and we are all just a number. I have tried searching the centrelink website however it is as clear as mud, i remember when they brought up these changes originally it was going to come into effect once your youngest turned 12 and that the newstart payment would be adjusted to similar pps conditions however i cannot find anything now to support what i read so it looks like a double whammy for all concerned.

I am lucky i am not that much in debt and should be cleared by next year (except for my car which i am paying of to my parents but thats a whole other story) i feel sorry for those that have a mortgage as i dont know how i am going to pay my rent.

Ive worked out one fortnight on average i earn $676.92 the next $616.92 of course this increases in the busier times and is not including my new job which starts in june (another casual job as yet no idea of hours etc).

I am wondering how much if any i can earn on the newstart?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast