+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding Help

Hi everyone,

Just wanting some advise on breastfeeding and expressing etc. My milk only came through yesterday and my boobs feel really sore and full. My lil one only weighs 2.4kg so he doesnt really need that much to fill his lil belly at this stage. I am finding that he does reduce a bit of the pain when he feeds but he is only feeding on one side per feed and he is not reducing my boobs. My first son was in the nursery for a week so I predominetly expressed for the first few months giving him expressed milk because I could monitor his milk intake and then moved onto just feeding him off the breast. I dont want to express, so I was just wondering if this is normal? I am sure people dont 'have' to express and dont get mastitis. Do all newborns normally feed off only 1 side to begin with?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have personal experience but the novel " the art of breastfeeding" had mentioned that when the baby was done with breast and sleepy to then change the diaper and offer the other boob. This ideally should help. Also if you start expressing in addition to feeding you will actually increase your production rate. The engorgement should settle in a few days. There are ways you can squeeze your breasts to release a little if baby is fool that help extreme discomfort. But I did read that your brain keeps track of how much baby is feeding and then only produces the amount baby needs. So if you can survive a couple days it should start getting better soon.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eclecticdreamer For This Useful Post:

astrogal  (04-05-2012)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds VERY normal to me. I was so much more swollen and engorged with baby #2. You may be quite uncomfortable for a few days. I would avoid expressing as you will just increase the engorgement. Try not to go for more than 4 hours without letting your bub have a feed. Wake them up if you have too. You can use ice packs on your breasts to relieve the discomfort. Do not have hot showers as this will increase blood flow to the area, increasing your discomfort (I found that one out the hard way). One side may be all your bub wants and that is fine. Always offer a second side, as they say "you can lead a baby to a boob but you can't make them drink "

Please call this free breastfeeding advice helpline. They were my saviour 1800mum2mum. It's a free call from a landline.

Good Luck!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

astrogal  (04-05-2012),kts  (04-05-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks that advice makes me feel better. I have expressed a couple of times because my boobs were really painful and I was scared of getting mastitis because they feel so hard and full but I will stop and just see what happens and hope that it does settle down in the next couple of days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh yeah I know what you mean, sounds exactly like my experience with ds2 and it should improve soon.
    I had the same experience of ds1 needing expressed milk, but I've actually had less problems with engorgement and mastitis breastfeeding than I did expressing, so I hopefully it's only shortlived before you both get into the rythym of things together.
    If you're concerned follow threechooks advice and give the helpline a call, but stick with it if you can and good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my milk came in, the engorgement was awful - so hard and tender, and my bub had trouble latching on to my big hard breasts, leading to sore grazed nipples. I found that hand expressing a small amount before each feed softened things up around the nipple and made it easier for him to latch on. Another method is called negative pressure (I think) where you gently push around the areola to soften the area.

Engorgement is the worst, but it settles after a couple of days (but then can come back around Day 14 when your supply increases again). All the best with your breastfeeding.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Polly6034 For This Useful Post:

astrogal  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My newborn began by only feeding from one side and I just maintained it throughout her 21mths of nursing. your breasts produce exactly what was used plus 5% or thereabouts. So over a few feeds, your engorgement will reduce.

offer a boob, when bub finishes/falls off to sleep, change nappy and offer the other. if bub refuses, place a cold wet face washer on the unused boob under your bra. it will reduce the swelling just enough to make it comfortable. offer that boob next. and so it goes till your engorgement reduces and feeding becomes more predictable

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

astrogal  (07-05-2012),kts  (04-05-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (04-05-2012)