+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cow's milk?

Hi ladies,

I've recently re-introduced cow's milk into DS's diet (he's 16 months) after he had some mild allergic reations to some dairy products when I first introduced them at around 9 months. I just put a little bit on his cereal, but am wondering when you give it to them as a drink and how much? Do you just give it in a sippy cup at meal times instead of water? He's bf from 2 - 5 times a day. If I want to cut down some feeds does the cow's milk then replace that?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I give ds a sippy cup of cows milk with. Afternoon tea ( if he's at home) if I go out for coffee he gets half a small coffee cup of milk ( he thinks that's what a milkshake is ) and he gets a 250ml bottle before bed

If your son if breastfeeding I would suggest a cup with morning and afternoon tea and water with the other meals, you don't want to replace the water all together

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Decemberbubba

Can I ask you, what has your DS been drinking? Just breastmilk? My DS is almost one, he's just started having cow's milk on cereal and I think it's possibly flaring up his eczema. I'm wondering, if I don't introduce cow's milk, will he be ok with just breastmilk and water?

Good luck, hope your bub has outgrown his reaction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Daysta112. He drinks HEAPS of water, so I might start with a sippy cup of milk at morning tea, see how he goes and introduce another in the afternoon if he goes ok. Do you warm up the milk or just leave it cold?

Babymay - yep, just breastmilk up till now . I give him a sippy cup of water at each meal and leave one on the ground for him to access whenever during the day. I don't know if I should have been giving him some sort of cow's milk alternative, I just assumed bm would give him everything he needs.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At around 12 months I only gave my 2 formula (im a formula mum) at night an any other milk I gave them cows. So they both had same amount of bottle/sippy cups as before cows milk. And slowly got rid of formula altogether. My daughter who is 2 still drinks a lot of milk which I don't mind as its got good fats for her and it's good for her. (she wasn't putting on much weight until we went to cows milk)

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh and I didn't do it straight away. Ild been introducing it for months so they didn't get sick or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MummyOf2Sweeties, he hasn't shown any signs of allergy to the milk in his cereal, but I was a bit worried about giving him a tummy ache if I introduce too much to drink so will do it slowly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I warm up bottles, but leave sippy cups cold