+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you're only going for 2 hours though, I'd be inclined just to give a flat $50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I guess it depends on how long she will be there. I would've been pretty annoyed if I babysat for two hours and received $30 for example. It's not really worth giving up your Friday night for that amount iykwim.
    This.

I would get $50 a night from one family, $100-$200 a night from an uncle which included a taxi fare home. I would've watched my cousins for free, but he insisted on paying.

I think a set fee for a night with an approximate home time (before midnight or before 2am etc... Is best.

I think for 3 hours $50-$60 is fair.

Paying decent also means when you need a sitter she'll be more likely to be available as it's worth changing her plans for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't know...I didn't babysit until I was about 20, but working in a cafe at 16 I earned $8 an hour. Unless she has another source of income, or has a really good use for the money, I probably wouldn't pay more than $10 an hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    there is no way I would pay a babysitter $50 an hour lol

it is a teenager and the child will be in bed so $30 for sitting and watching tv for two hours seems fine to me

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    I was pretty lucky, I thought it was fair. Although the sitting and watching TV never eventuated for me as the kids always woke up, even if I was, I was still giving up my Friday/Saturday nights to ensure someone else's kids were safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I was pretty lucky, I thought it was fair. Although the sitting and watching TV never eventuated for me as the kids always woke up, even if I was, I was still giving up my Friday/Saturday nights to ensure someone else's kids were safe.
    Yeah, I was getting $15 a hour at my regular job, so for me to babysit on the weekend (essentially my free time between work and school) I wasn't going to do it for anything less than $15. Luckily the family that I babysat for were vey generous and understanding and offered $25ph straight up.
    I agree with the PP who said to offer a reasonable/generous amount if you want her to come back. If I hadn't of been given a toasty $100 note for 4 hours the first time I babysat I wouldn't have done it again.
    I guess it also has to be relative to what you can afford, though, so be reasonable but don't break the bank.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    $15/hr for a kid, but if it's only 2 hours I would give $40. If longer, $15/hr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    $15/hr for a kid, but if it's only 2 hours I would give $40. If longer, $15/hr.

$40 for two hours "work" is great for a 15 year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends on the situation.

I pay one of my own children $50 for the night in those circumstances, but they have the advantage they are still in their own environment.

For hourly rates I've seen anywhere from $8-$25. DD1 (at 17yo) put adds on gumtree asking $15 (+$2 per extra child) per hour but didn't get any takers. She has no qualifications but plenty of experience with younger siblings.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 04-05-2012 at 12:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many adults are not paid $25 an hour so I think this is too high for babysitting.

I have always paid $15 an hour and had snacks for the sitter and that is for a qualified child care worker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    It really depends on the situation.

I pay one of my own children $50 for the night in those circumstances, but they have the advantage they are still in their own environment.

For hourly rates I've seen anywhere from $8-$25. DD1 (at 17yo) put adds on gumtree asking $15 (+$2 per extra child) per hour but didn't get any takers. She has no qualifications but plenty of experience with younger siblings.
    Are you in Sydney by any chance?