Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Another baby has died from pertussis .....*warning very sad*

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    so sad. poor bubba.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whooping cough scares the pants off me. Poor bubba x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's so sad Poor baby.

I found this at the end of the article very interesting though and it is worth quoting. My intention is not to spark a debate, or to deflect from the sadness of this baby's death.
    What, exactly, is driving the increase in pertussis cases isn’t totally clear. Experts speak of a convergence of factors, including waning immunity after vaccination, low vaccine compliance among adults (who had coverage rates of only 8.2 percent in 2010, according to the CDC) and a general perception that whooping cough isn’t a dire condition. Another factor may be that pertussis is going undiagnosed in many cases — since not everyone “whoops” — allowing for disease to spread. In addition (though the CDC disputes this) declining use of antibiotics by doctors wary of overuse and drug resistance may also be a cause.

Some put the blame on parents who refuse to vaccinate their children. But officials at the CDC say it’s more likely that declining protection in vaccinated people rather than vaccine refusal is contributing to the increase.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Infants and children are recommended a dose of DTaP (Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Acellular Pertussis) vaccine at 2, 4 and 6 months, 15 through 18 months, and 4 through 6 years of age. Everyone 11 years and older, including pregnant women, is recommended one dose of Tdap (combined Tetanus, Diphtheria and Acellular Pertussis) vaccine, preferably at 11-12 years of age. Pregnant women are recommended to receive a dose of Tdap vaccine, preferably during the third trimester or late second trimester (after 20 weeks gestation). By getting Tdap vaccine during pregnancy, maternal pertussis antibodies transfer to the newborn, likely providing protection against pertussis in early life, before the baby starts getting DTaP vaccines. Tdap will also protect the mother at time of delivery, making her less likely to transmit pertussis to her infant.
    This makes me realise just HOW important it is that parents (both mum AND dad) vaccinate themselves before baby is born. When I have a baby that baby will not be going near anybody unless they have had the shot.

It's up to us all to get rid of whooping cough and geez I wish newborns could be vaccinated for it

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think people need to be made more aware that you need a booster. I had no idea until I read it here on bub hub a year or so ago. Whooping cough is so scarey!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babalooba For This Useful Post:

RunningWithScissors  (05-05-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How often do u need the booster! Dh and i had it three years ago when ds#2 was born, willwe neeed it again by the time this bundle arrives?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    How often do u need the booster! Dh and i had it three years ago when ds#2 was born, willwe neeed it again by the time this bundle arrives?
    I have been wondering this as well, as we had ours in late 2008.

I thought we had to have them as adults as we weren't done as kids due to our ages, but can't remember if it was a once off for adults.

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe booster was the wrong word to use??? I didn't realise that having the vaccinations as a child didn't cover you for life, that you had to get another as an adult. Sorry diamondeyes

ETA I just googled and it said every 10 years you should get the DTaP vaccination.
    Last edited by babalooba; 04-05-2012 at 14:29.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babalooba For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They usually recommend boosters every 10 years, but it's changing a bit at the moment. The vaccine isn't as effective, or effective for as long with some of the newer strains. Based on that, the most recent recommendation I heard (can't remember where from, although it was a reputable Australian medical source) was maybe every 7-8 years, just to ensure that you have maximum protection.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (04-05-2012)