+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We didn't have a limit when we started, because we thought our issues were a lot simpler than they turned out to be, so had every expectation of it working quickly.

Then when our first sperm donor provided 5 straws, we knew we were going to use all 5 before stopping.

We then moved to anonymous donor, and our clinic lets you have 3 tries before going back to the bottom of the list. We asked if we should re-enter the waiting list as soon as we commenced with those tries, so that if they failed we wouldn't have to wait long before we were back at the top, but FS said (given the previous results) that if it didn't work in the 3 goes then we should stop using my eggs too.

If our last anonymous donor cycle hadn't worked (stim #8), we were going to try 1 stim cycle using SIL and my brother as donors.

If that didn't work we were going to go on the embryo waiting list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before we started our IVF journey, I told my husband I will only try one stim cycle and use up all froties, if nothing works we will move on.I wasn't very keen for having a baby but since my husband wants it so much and the current adoption law is so difficult for us to adopt from overseas, IVF became our only option.
    However, I didn't want to spend too much time on it.
    My first cycle was smooth, got 7 beautiful embyros on Day 3, so even my first fresh cycle failed, I still got 6 embryos to continute my journey.
    My first FET works and I am 12 weeks preganant.
    Although we still have 4 embryos on ice(lost one during the thaw), I don't plan to use them up because I will turn 41 in few months.
    For me, trying once is my limit because I hate needles so much and I hate getting BFN after a long tww.
    Hat off for women who have tried more than 5 stims cycles.

Disney Baby is offline <--- That's my baby at 8 cells old <3 Ahh the perks of IVF =D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses ladies.

Looks like 3 stims is the 'norm'. I just don't want to have the feeling I did when we were trying naturally. I never thought that we would have problems conceiving, but as the months then years went on, you realise "whoa, this may never happen", but then you go down the IVF road and feel like you have a real chance, but how many times can you go through it all to get nothing in return?
    Realising that it STILL may never happen after multiple IVF rounds just doesn't sound appealing to me AT ALL...as I'm sure it wouldn't to anyone else.

I don't know if what I just said makes sense, but having all the hopes in the world at the beginning only to be broken in the end isn't something I want to feel from doing IVF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ill keep going until I get my baby. I will take breaks obviously, but wont give up

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jetaime For This Useful Post:

hopefulmama2b  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, i did IVF in 2009 when I was with my ex- he had a vasectomy so reversal or IFV Icsi was our options and we chose IVF. Luckily we fell pregnant on cycle one and he just turned two. I am now pregnant (natural) with my new partner. My ex and I started IVf in August and Christmas was our cut off.. we were going to have a think about it again then if we had not got a BFP but realistically I would have kept going. We only had the funds for probably 2 stims and 2 fets at that stage but I would have had a break and saved $ and then started again
    Good luck xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know.

We've been trying for a year, and just on our first cycle of IVF now.

We tried naturally, then Clomid for 5 cycles, and then FSH injections for 4 (3 of those with IUI). We set a limit on 3 IUI cycles, and I found that having that 'deadline' put extra pressure on me, as I kept feeling that I was running out of time.

So we haven't set a limit for it, but we have both said that we won't continue indefinitely. We're both very weary of fertility treatments already, and feel as if we are spending half our lives in the obstetrician's office.

We'll have to see how this cycle goes and take it from there, I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I was very lucky and got pregnant with my son on my first stim cycle on my second FET transfers.

I have been trying for my second child for a while now and am about to embark on my 5th stimulated cycle. I have lost track of how many FET transfers I have had along the way. I have not set a limit on the number of cycles we will do as I have learnt that I need to re-assess our options (financial, physical and emotional) after each cycle. Having limits just made my more stressed.

I hope our journey in iVF is a short and successful one. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also did not set a limit when I began thinking it would happen fairly quickly as we had no really obvious issues.
    Although I only did 2 EPU's we did 9 transfers. Each EPU I was really sick with OHSS for about a week and DH really didn't want me to do another EPU so after the 2nd EPU we thought when all the embryos are gone that will be it. We used them all - a few BFP's along the way but none that made the distance
    So we decided that was enough, 3 and a half years of IVF and we were both reaching 40.
    I thought I was ok with the decision, but as time passed I realised I wasn't - I was just so sad. But knew I had to move through that and look at a life without kids.

Then I fell pregnant naturally/total surprise!!!

- I am now 33 weeks and waiting to meet my little boy, so over the moon.

I think having an idea of your limits is good, but really you need to play it by ear depending on your feelings.
    It's a tough one and I hope you get a great result quickly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We decided on 5. I'd read for my age it was 20% likely an embryo transfer would work so I wanted to do 5. After 3 fresh cycles (I never had any to freeze) my friend said she would be an egg donor but we had to do it soon, as she wanted another child. So if the fourth stimulated cycle didn't work we were going to go the donor route. Luckily the 4th one took.

The amount of threads I read where women fell pregnant on the first or second cycle I found so demoralising! I'd read all the stats about 95% falling pregnant in 3 cycles and it scared me.

I think in the end once we moved to the cheaper public service we would have kept going for more than 5. We started out by thinking quality over quantity and so went private initially and then realised we just needed to pull as many eggs out as we could and keep trying. Even though we thought we were doing the best thing by going to the best clinic the costs made it very stressful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have not long started our 8th stim. Sadly we seem to be in the minority of never getting anything to freeze so it will always be stuns for us. This is our last to with our eggs and sperm. Originally we thought if this cycle did not work we would move to donor later this year but I now just don't know. I had some minor surgery earlier this week and we found yet more issues with me, so am really starting to wonder if I may be our issue and we need to look at donor and surrogacy.