+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby thrashing head from side to side in bed???

Firstly, thanks in advance for reading this plea for advice! I feel like all I do is ask questions and rarely have any tips to give others yet....but hopefully one day I will be able to pay it forward to other new mummies!

DS is 4 months old and thrashes his head from side to side before nodding off to sleep. It's like he is itchy or uncomfortable. Sometimes it is slow but lately it is really fast. He is not always crying when he does it. Then he will settle for a few minutes and suddenly do it again until he finally sleeps.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD does it too!!! She's 6 months. I have no idea why, hopefully another hubber will know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby does it and also kicks his legs and flaps his arms. If I hold his arms still he eventually drifts off. I think it might just be a tired agitated kind of thing, getting the wiggles out before going to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Could be issues with his ears? Definitely worth investigating as ear pain/issues is always worse for little ones when they're horizontal and of course tired.

Or sometimes my kids used to do that when they were realising (or not if they're as young as your son) they were drifiting off to sleep and as a pp said, I think it was like they were getting the wiggles out before shut eye.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

CamD  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, DD2 did it too when she was a bubba. Cot or pram, didn't matter. She would always do it really fast before going to sleep. I was told it was nothing to worry about, just a tired thing and her way of getting herself to sleep.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

CamD  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    dd used to do that when she little... and always when she had an ear infection or fluid build up in her ears... as lying down can make it worse... might be worth while taking him to the docs to get his ears checked and rule out any ear problems...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Emi For This Useful Post:

CamD  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 month old does the exact thing, i have taken him to the doctors but he is all healthy and nothing wrong with him. I have just tested out a theory and put a comforter next to his head, a muslin wrap for him to cuddle his head into, and he has stopped doing the thrashing. I believe he is looking for comfort, just wants to nuzzle into something comfy..
    Might be worth trying to see if this is the same case for your baby??

Hope this helps. xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandnewbeginnings For This Useful Post:

CamD  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Brandnewbeginnings - this is exactly what it was! He was looking to rest his head against something I found, as when I am settling him i put my hand next to his face to stroke his cheek and he snuggled in.
    Thanks to all for the replies. I also took him to the GP to rule out an ear infection.

X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This kind of head turning when falling asleep is perfectly normal. It's the same action bubs do at the breast, searching for the nipple. They are usually either trying to get comfy or if they are also sucking fingers or unsettled, may still be hungry and need a top-up feed. They are just comforting themselves and finding the best pos for sleep, but sometimes it does seem to keep them awake! My DS still does it at 16mo.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby thrashing head from side to side in bed???

DD is 13 months and still does this sometimes. It seems to be her way of settling. She moves her head back and forth then goes to sleep!