+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm so confused.

What's kindy? And is it compulsory?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Unborn babies? Lol, I wish our school was like that. DD was down the day her birth certificate arrived, they wouldn't add her to the wait list without it.

She's April and the July-January babies have filled their limit, fingers crossed people move away, change their minds or don't do the list of things you need to do to stay at the top of the list.
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 03-05-2012 at 20:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I'm so confused.

What's kindy? And is it compulsory?
    Kindergarten is usually done at 4 years old. Can also be called pre-school. It isn't compulsary, and is more to prepare children for school. However it is government funded and most parents opt in. It is the year before kids usually start school, usually 3 days a week or half days. In some states they are attached to the main school, in other states they are run by local councils or groups and have their own campus. Here in Vic a lot of child care centres also run a 4 year old kindy program during care hours.

There is also 3 year old kindy in most states but it is less popular than the 4 year old kindy/pre-school.

School isn't compulsory until 6 I am pretty sure?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Unborn babies? Lol, I wish our school was like that. DD was down the day her birth certificate arrived, they wouldn't add her to the wait list without it.
    Woah! QLD is tough! lol Is that for a private school though? Or public?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    Woah! QLD is tough! lol Is that for a private school though? Or public?
    Private.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

TinyLittleTootsies  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put DD on kindy, primary and high school lists at 3wks old. Redundant actually since DH is in the army and I don't know where I'll be next year let alone in 3yrs time!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    Kindergarten is usually done at 4 years old. Can also be called pre-school. It isn't compulsary, and is more to prepare children for school. However it is government funded and most parents opt in. It is the year before kids usually start school, usually 3 days a week or half days. In some states they are attached to the main school, in other states they are run by local councils or groups and have their own campus. Here in Vic a lot of child care centres also run a 4 year old kindy program during care hours.

There is also 3 year old kindy in most states but it is less popular than the 4 year old kindy/pre-school.

School isn't compulsory until 6 I am pretty sure?
    Hmmm that's next year Wow I had no idea, I thought main****** just started at age 5 or 6. I've been looking into the Montessori system so far but it's a bit different.

Cheers for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In NSW the first year of school can be from about 4yrs 6mths (as long as they turn 5yrs before the cut off date which in public schools is 31st July) but they have to start school the year they turn 6yrs. If they don't turn 6yrs until December they still need to start in the January that year but so does a child that turns 6yrs in January. So first year of school ages can range from 4yrs 6mths right up to 6yrs.

Preschool as we call it is the year or two years before they start school. But a lot of daycares also offer a school readiness program. It's not compulsory. Years ago I tried to put DD1's name down for preschool. She's a June baby and I enquired the February before she turned 3yrs and I was practically laughed at. (At 3 different preschools) We had no chance of getting her in as I had left it too late.