+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I agree with what everyone else has said - give it a go and then decide. I found the first 4 weeks difficult but I got through it by only thinking about the next feed. But almost six months down the track it is second nature. I was also quite shy about feeding in front of people so I started out by feeding in my room, and then used a breast feeding cover in public, and now I'm confident enough to do it anywhere.

If you are planning to give it a go, I highly recommend attending a class with the ABA or your hospital before giving birth. It really helped me.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, I just couldn't be stuffed to have to wash bottles and prepare them, and carry them around.

The other day I saw a lady at a cafe with a newborn who was crying while she waited for the bottle to heat up in a cup of hot water. Finally the bottle warmed up, she fed bubs, but then it was still hungry! So she had to get the second bottle, wait for it to heat up, and then in the end she has to drag the bottles home again and wash them.
    Ok, I'm lazy! Still, it seems like boob would just be easier.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wippy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly.. When I was pregnant I researched BF and thought I would be completely prepared for it.

I won't lie.. As PP's have said the first 2-4 weeks are tough. 1 week in I spent a whole day in tears as i was having trouble getting DD to latch on and made DP buy a tin of formula and was ready to give up.

I didn't.. We returned the formula the next morning and I haven't looked back since.

I'm not against FF at all! But give BF a go.. Why not? You might find you love it and never is the best thing you decide to do or you could hate it and then you just use formula.

Do what YOU are comfortable with and don't let anyone pressure you one way or another.

Best of luck with your little one regardless of what you decide :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Give it a try and there will always be formula. I was the same and still am, I don't like BFing in front of people, even though I was so discrete. I BFed on a plane and had a nice comforted baby for the trip, while other babies were screaming and the lady next to me didn't even know he was there under my scarf!

There were a lot of times when it drove me crazy and I just wanted it to stop but I did it for 12 months, although ideally for the next one I am hoping to wean at 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would suggest you give it a go, if you find it too much you can always switch to bottle feeding. I found breast feeding to be a very beautiful bonding experience and even though my nipples hurt like crazy the first few days and are still very tender... I wouldn't want to swap to bottle feeding because I do believe that breast feeding for the first 6 months is important.

If you go in open minded and are willing to suffer the initial pain.., I'm sure you won't have any issues becoming confident in breast feeding. The midwives will teach you how to breast feed and you will pick it up quickly. For the first feed straight after birth the midwives just took over, I found it a bit weird having some random person touching my breasts but for them I guess they don't think twice about it.

Just remember that if bub isn't interested in the nipple that it doesn't mean you have to give up. It took me two days to get DS interested in my nipple. Also if you do find that breast feeding isn't for you, it's okay. My mum couldn't stress enough that A happy mother makes a happy baby and to go with what works best for mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I was pregnant with DD I wasn't fussed if I couldn't BF, I mean I wasn't BF as a baby so the alternatives can't be that bad right...?.... However when she was born she was BF within the hour latched on like a trouper and everything just felt right. It wasn't always easy I had a bit of pain in the first week or two and had mastitis a couple of times all up but I pushed through it and it got better and I'm glad I saw it through.
    I told myself id just BF til 3 months... That came and went... Just til 6 months.... So did that.... I loved BFding it had become so easy, always on tap pre mixed and the right temp and sterilized, a great comfort for bubs, can't over feed and if your like me and co slept you didn't even have to get up in the middle of the night! Lol
    I BF my DD until she was 18months which if you had have asked the 'Pre mum' me I would have scoffed a the thought and to be honest probably would have thought BFDing a toddler was disgusting but having experienced the bond that developed and how easy and natural it all was my thoughts certainly changed on that! My DS was BF to 13 months and my supply struggled a bit and I was devastated that I couldn't do it longer.
    It wasn't always easy but it soon became so and well worth any initial troubles. I think most people are nervous to BF around others at first. I was BFding in a car (with the window down) away from 'public eyes' and an older gentleman walked past and winked at me and said "good on ya love" in a very genuine way... I will never forget it as it just showed me people see the good in BFding and it wasnt something inhad to hide away in embarrassment for and I felt very proud. I was soon confident to BF in public and had many lovely gestures and comments and never once copped any dirty or uncomfortable looks or anything, I was discreet about it but personally wouldn't cover my babies head.
    Sorry for the ramble, I'm not against bottle feeding (at one stage early on DD was topped up on formula) but wanted to point out how I went from not really 'feeling' like it was something I had to do to a total turnaround (crying on the lactation consultants shoulder when I had supply issues with DS at about 10 months!).
    It's such a special natural thing you can do for your baby and you only get one chance at it. If you are torn between the two I'd say give it a go atleast or you will never know.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicoleE For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (06-05-2012),Summerwinter  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Breastfeeding is not always hard in the early days. Checking out you tube videos is great preparation, the ABA has some good articles on their website too. A bit of knowledge on attachment and early baby behaviour can give you a better chance of breastfeeding being enjoyable for however long you feed for.

if you want to take baby off, slide your little finger in the side of their mouth to break their seal and then you can get your nipple out. (so important to know)

Have the ABA phone number handy so you or your partner can ring if you are having difficulties and need some support or info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'n with the majority - doesn't hurt to try! You might find it feels perfect and right.. Or u might decide its not for you. Either way, don't let anyone guilt you for your decision, not even hubby!

I do get annoyed though, when everyone assumes breast feeding is a "choice".. It isn't always. I tried very hard to breast feed, stuck with it thru weeks of pain, used a pump in between feeds to stimulate milk, saw several lactation consultants, on the phone constantly with the ABA.. But I could never produce much milk. So sometimes it's not a choice. I bring this up just to say that even if u decide to breastfeed, don't blame yourself if you can't. I wanted to so badly, and couldn't, and felt like the biggest failure as a mother when I couldn't. I realize now it wasn't my fault.

Whether you bottle or breast feed, feel good about your decision what's best for baby is a happy, calm mummy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jo7 For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (04-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You have received some great advice so far.

I would like to provide you with some helpful breastfeeding information - not because i'm trying to sway you either way, but becauseI strongly believe that education and support play a huge role in establishing breastfeeding in most cases and can be the difference between not breastfeeding at all to breastfeeding for days, months or even years (*I'm having trouble adding the links, so I will create another post after this one).

The ABA (Australian Breastfeeding Association) have also created a "Breastfeeding Plan" template - similar to a birth plan. It's a fantastic way to prepare yourself for the journey and to communicate your breastfeeding wishes with your partner and support network.

I would also suggest joining a local ABA group (before baby is born) to really build up that support network. You can find groups here, just enter your postcode to find your local group. I would *strongly* recommend attending a breastfeeding class - they are usually much better than the hospital-run classes and extremely informative. Here is a list of contacts for classes in each area.

The ABA also provide a helpline, which you can phone at any time. The number is:

1800 mum 2 mum (1800 686 268).

At the end of the day, it's your choice as to whether you breastfeed or bottlefeed... but as you are not sure, I think it's best to soak up as much info as possible prior to your baby being born, so that you can make an informed decision for you and your baby.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (04-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (06-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (04-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (06-05-2012)