+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I breastfed my daughter happily for 18 months it was difficult for the first two weeks and then it became easy, I loved not having to worry about the whole bottle saga of sterilizing, boiling water and best of all breast feeding is free. It was a good excuse for extra cuddles with my baby. I was very shy about getting my boobs out in front of people so often fed her in the car, in the parent rooms at shopping centres and in the bedroom when we had visitors. I am planning on breastfeeding this time around again because it is easier for me and I personally think it is better for my baby. You can always try it out and see how it goes before making a concrete decision.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was the same as you- had my son at 17 and wasn't planning on even trying to BF. But when he was born one of the nurses suggested I at least "try". I remember her exact words were: "Wouldn't it be a shame if you didn't even try"?
    I managed only for a couple of weeks; various reasons, found it painful, uncomfortable etc.. Fast forward almost 13 years and I'm expecting again. I'm older now and wiser now; I know that BFing is absolutely something I want to at least try again; this time, I'm going to persevere for longer as I now know that the first couple of weeks are the hardest for most women. If I have to bottle feed, I'm hoping to be able to express through a breast pump. If that doesn't work, then I'm happy to move onto formula. My DS thrived on it so I know it's fine.
    Like everyone else has said, don't rule it out all together; give it your best shot and at the very least do it for the first few days to get that liquid gold into bub.
    Good luck, I'm in the same boat!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 03-05-2012 at 20:22.

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you really can't decide you can always just try. Be warned the first weeks can be hard but it can be so rewarding. You need to do what you are comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You should do whatever you want to do. I love BFing just because it's easy (once you get past the first few weeks). It's fabulous bringing DS into bed in the morning, putting him on the boob and going back to sleep. It's great that I can keep the nappy bag in the car with nappies in it and when I want to go somewhere I just grab DS and go - no need to pack bottles etc. it's also great to know that I am the only one who can provide DS with that comfort and sustenance, and it's pretty awesome to look at your fat baby and know that your milk has made them that way.

Of course if you want to bottle feed you should do it. Congratulations and good luck with your baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    I felt EXACTLY like you for my first. Thought I would express and bottle feed or formula feed as I didn't think breast feeding was for me. Didnt seem natural and i felt 'icky' thinking about it.....Boy was I wrong!!

I did the first feed in hospital and never looked back! Sure, it's hard when ur nipples are getting used to it and figuring out the latch but I absolutely love it and found it hard to give up when I went back to work. Even my MIL made a comment 'for someone who thought she'd never breastfeeding....'

No harm in trying and see how u feel then if ur not comfortable u know u tried

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree with trying! I breastfed dd for 8.5 months until she self weaned and broke my heart
    It didnt happen naturally for us but I stuck with it and after two weeks I was confident.
    I was 20 when I had dd and there was no way I was getting my Boobies out infront of everyone. The parents room at shopping malls are fantastic and have private booths to feed.
    Dd fed in 10 mins and would go 3.5 hours between feeds it was fantastic. You might end up with a quick feeder!
    I found it really annoying to wash/sterilize bottles once she weaned.
    If you dont enjoy it then just try to aim to get that colostrum into bubs. It really is liquid gold.
    It's fantastic that your Dh/dp/df is keen for you to bf, he will be great support !!

Good luck with whatever you decide

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I personally find breast feeding easy. And 'on demand' to me is less stressful than a routine or schedule. 'on demand' doesn't mean baby will necessarily be screaming for boob day and night - its just going with what your baby needs when your baby needs it. Also my second baby is 8 weeks, exclusively breast fed & wakes 1-2 times a night. So it doesn't always mean they will feed more often (though Formula fed babies so sometimes feed less frequently) and usually breast fed newborns do feed for long periods of time but often by a few weeks feeds are 5-20 mins (going by my babies & from what I've gathered from other mums)

If you breast feed you can always change your mind and switch to bottles. But it's much harder to go the other way
    Last edited by Boobycino; 03-05-2012 at 20:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with PP. Try bf for 4-6 wks. It does take that long for some mums and bubs to get the hang of it. If after this time it's not working out you can switch partially or fully to ff.

If you are really thinking about bf then I'd recommend you join the aba.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I personally find breast feeding easy. And 'on demand' to me is less stressful than a routine or schedule. 'on demand' doesn't mean baby will necessarily be screaming for boob day and night - its just going with what your baby needs when your baby needs it. Also my second baby is 8 weeks, exclusively breast fed & wakes 1-2 times a night. So it doesn't always mean they will feed more often (though Formula fed babies so sometimes feed less frequently) and usually breast fed newborns do feed for long periods of time but often by a few weeks feeds are 5-20 mins (going by my babies & from what I've gathered from other mums)

If you breast feed you can always change your mind and switch to bottles. But it's much harder to go the other way
    Ditto.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree with girl x. Wonderful honest advice 