+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can't decide... bottle/breast

My DS is 11, I was 17 when I had him and I bottle fed him from day dot...

I don't think either is more beneficial than the other... that's my opinion...

I've always been under the thinking that I would do the same again... I know it's a natural thing but I don't feel comfortable talking about breastfeeding let alone doing it... I'd be fine at home on my own or in front of DH, but I've never done it before and I'm a bit scared... but I can't help wondering what it would be like, I've watched videos on 'how to' and it looks natural and comforting, however i've also heard that it's 'on demand' and it takes longer and its more frequent feeding...

I've also been having heaps of dreams about giving birth to my baby and him being put on my breast for a feed...

My husband was cranky at me at first when he found out I didn't want to breastfeed, i was going to get the tablets after the birth to stop my milk coming through, but he keeps making comments like "are you sure you don't want to just for the first few days or for the first little bit"... he wants me to, but he's OK with it being my choice if I decide not to...

I just can't decide what to do.... I'm in 2 minds about it now.... I have personal pros and cons for both....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's obviously up to you, but it's generally recommended that you feed bub colostrum for the first few days, even if you don't want to breastfeed. The colostrum is incredibly useful in building their immune system.

You could always give it a try, and decide based on how it goes for you. That way if you decide not to, you'll at least have had the opportunity to see how you feel about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe it would be worth giving the breast feeding a shot, and if you're not happy/ not liking it then switching to bottles?

I only BF DD for a couple of weeks, as it didn't work out for us (won't go in to the whole saga). So we formula fed from then on.

Honestly, I was happier bottle feeding. BUT that was because the breast feeding wasn't working, and it was a source of a lot of upset/ pain/ dread of feeding, etc.

I found bottle feeding more convenient, but I still plan to try breast feeding next time, as I think it's good for the baby if you can do it - even just for a few days or weeks.

I guess I would say that there is no need to decide one way or another immediately, is there? You could consider giving breast feeding a go, and then stop doing it if you think it's not for you. Or, if when the baby is born you can't face it, then take the tablets straight away - but see how you feel when you've had him.

Either way, don't let anyone tell you what to do, or guilt you/ pressure you into doing anything you're not comfortable with.

Whatever decision you make will be the right one for you and your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm obviously pro-breastfeeding do I might be a bit biased, but if I was in your position I'd give it ago - it gives you an opportunity to see if its something that would work for you and what its like and the colostrum is awesome for bub.

If you don't like it and don't want to continue you could always then switch to bottle feeding.

I loved the first feed with my DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree completely with girlx! I bf for 6 weeks and decided it wasn't for me. I just felt good that I could give my little girl some breastmilk but I don't feel awful that I'm now bottle feeding.
    Do what you feel comfortable with - it's your body and your baby.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would give breastfeeding a go, you might really enjoy it, you never know until you try.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a breast feeder, BUT, I'm not one who will try to tell you what's right for you..

My advise would be to do some research and educate yourself about the pros and cons for both. Maybe check out the ABA website and whatever there is for FF ing (if there is one, I'm not sure) but reliable sources, who have some study to back up the information.

I believe, My breastmilk passes antibodies to my baby that he can't get from a bottle. I do Bf on demand (was about 3 hrly, now at 7 weeks going to 4hrly) but I quite enjoy sitting down and doing it. It's when I spend most of my time on here. It's a time to chill out with my little man.. A good excuse to take a break

I cant be bothered with having to muck around all the time sterilizing bottles, packing a big bag to take bottles when i go out, trying to keep them warm.. I also don't want to pay for formula. I just don't see how it could have been a better choice for me..

Bfing can be hard at the start, but once it settles in, for me - it's easy! you get used to getting your b00bs out but you chose where you feed so you dont have to do it anywhere uncomfortable for you. I always have a light cotton wrap and cover us with it if we're in public.

Good luck making your choice ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think you should give it a go and if it's not for you, you can easily switch to bottle

You can't do it the other way around, as in bottle feed and then decide you want to breastfeed.. well, you possibly could but it'd be incredibly difficult.

There's no harm in giving it a go, you may love it or you may not. I think you'd regret not at least trying it at least it's one 'what if' checked off your list if you do decide to try.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like you say, there are pros and cons to both.

But when BFing is enjoyable for both mum and bub, and bub is thriving, it's a very special, wonderful thing. It's about so much more than food.

If I was you I would give it a go, as PP said if you decide it isn't for you then you can switch to FF and no harm done. I would give it a try for at least a couple of weeks because it can take some time. I will admit that I didn't really enjoy BFing (didn't not enjoy it either - could have taken or left it) at first, often it's just about getting the milk into the bub and going through the motions. But after a while it becomes a really lovely bonding experience.

If you then change your mind and go on FF at least you've given it a try and won't be wondering 'what if?' And your baby will get the wonderful health benefits of your colostrum and breastmilk for the first few days/weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried breastfeeding but it hurt, I wasnt comfortable, pnd, lack of milk, lack of sleep I personally found formula feeds were better. Filled my daughters tummies and once on formula I had no issues with weight loss for either of them. They generally seemed happier.

But I still recommend giving breastfeeding a go. Everything is worth a go.
    My personal opinion is that as long as the baby is being fed and gaining weight who cares how it's being fed.