+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How far is too far to travel for a good maternity hospital?

Hi everyone,

I have recently moved to the bush and am 16 weeks pregnant. I lived in Tarneit (near Werribee) up until the weekend and am currently booked into the Werribee Mercy Hospital where I had my first son.
    My husband wants me to book into a hospital closer to home (either Kilmore or Seymour hospital), but I have had a look at these hospitals and I am not comfortable with either of them.
    The issue is that the drive from Broadford to the Mercy is just over an hour. Is that too far away?
    The advantages of the Mercy is that I can drop my DS off at my parents-in-law which is on the way, and it is right next to where I work, so its great for appointments leading upto the labour. They were also great there when I had my first son.
    My first labour was only 3.5 hours, but I was induced, so I don't know if that is a true indicator of what will happen this time around.
    What are your thoughts, is it too far to travel?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your happy I would travel that far. It will take me the better part of 45 mins to get to my hosp but it's only 25km away. Love that city traffic...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If the hospital is that much better, probably but contractions in a car is not fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 1st labour was induced too and it was 6 hours. This time around for my ds my waters broke at home 7.45pm, contractions started immediately, and were intense (holding onto wall intense!) within 30 mins, ds was born at 9.46pm. All I was thinking was thank goodness I live just 10mins from the hospital and my mum was staying at our house anyway so I didn't need to worry about dd (the original plan involved my friend coming to our house to look after her, if that had been the case ds would've been born in the car!)
    So if I was you I'd book somewhere nearer, especially if your 1st labour was only 3 hrs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleK View Post
    If the hospital is that much better, probably but contractions in a car is not fun!
    Totally agree with this. We live 40mins from hospital and it wad the longest drive of my life! I had about 30 contractions on the way, and was ready to push when we were 10mins away, bub was born an hour after we arrived. If we had been any further away I would not have made it!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were a 50min drive when I was in labour (and that was dh driving a bit quick...) it took me 1hr 50min to get to my 36wk checkup in traffic! I was too set on birthing at the birth centre over a hospital that I was prepared to risk the drive. Just be ready to race out the door so you don't end up with a roadside bub!

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go where I am comfortable going. If you like Mercy, it also sounds like it will be the most convenient place to go. Getting to appointments is a huge hassel at times, so if you work near there and can drop the kids to the inlaws etc it sounds like it is a better option for you.

For the actual labour, just go in as soon as you think you are having contractions, if something happens where you are caught off guard, you can always go to a closer hospital at the last minute?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I am going to look at Seymour hospital today and then make a decission from there. I have taken all of your advice on board, and will try to make an educated guess from there.

Thanks again.