+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Unhappy whooping cough

Poor DD2 (8.5yrs) has suspected whopping cough. We find out tomorrow but either way she is very sick. Dr has put her on the erythromycin anyway at the moment as he thinks it is.

I don't think she or I have slept much at all in the past couple of days. She hasn't gone any longer than 2 minutes (but usually only 1 minute) without coughing. Unless she has managed to fall asleep for a short time. She just can't stop coughing . I feel so awful for her, it's heartbreaking.

I have been just sitting with her on the lounge watching TV or reading with her during the day while she tries to rest. She's been sleeping with me, well lying in bed with me coughing all night.

Apart from the erythromycin we have been doing panadol (has fever) water but I have to keep asking her to have a sip and hydrolite icy pole. She is also having her ventolin every 4hrs as per Dr's orders and resting not that she is up to actually doing anything much anyway. She has picked at some food but isn't hungry really.

Is there nothing else I can do for her?

eta: Just worked out over the past 10mins or so that she only goes between 10 seconds and 1 minute between coughing fits.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 03-05-2012 at 12:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Google mega doses of Vitamin C and see what you think. My 5 children had whooping cough last year - including our newborn and the vitamin C helped amazingly, I also gave the older ones garlic tablets and rubbed the oil on my little ones feet. I would not be touching the fever, let it run it's course as it is helping her....although whooping cough generally only has a mild fever before the coughing starts so it may not be whooping cough. It sounds like she has it really bad, poor thing Mine were nowhere near that bad. GOod luck with the results xo

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Dannielle  (03-05-2012),Sindrii  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks,

I hope it's not whooping cough, that would be great!

Fever seems to have gone now I think. Was sitting at 39ish for maybe 30hours or so.

She had a little cough which started a few days ago and we actually saw our Dr on Tuesday afternoon and he thought just a virus. (I thought it was maybe her asthma but she was fine) But she got much worse overnight and started continually coughing and nearly throwing up at times. We saw him again the yesterday morning and he said it really does seem like it. It's weird if it is though. DD1 had it 3 years ago but wasn't sick at all just a bit of a tickle of a cough and DD3 (DD2's twin) caught it too and had a bad cough but not all the time. DD2 never caught it at all. (well, then anyway)

Hmmm, I haven't heard of mega doses of vitamin c. Not sure about it but she could definately do with some vitamin c anyway. Will see what DH thinks and get him to stop at the chemist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor thing! This is why it is so important to to have your whopping cough vaccination. It's the poor kiddies that suffer!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alimia For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My newborn caught it from my vaccinated child....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    Oh you poor thing! This is why it is so important to to have your whopping cough vaccination. It's the poor kiddies that suffer!
    Vaccination isn't 100 percent and that is a pretty harsh thing to say to someone who's child may have it ... you do not know their vaccination status! And its really not something that needs to be brought into mention here.

Op - *hugs* Ds had bronchiolitis at 7 weeks and the cough from that was scary enough for me, I can't imagine what you and your lo are going through.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Dannielle  (03-05-2012),Elijahs Mum  (03-05-2012),Etienne  (03-05-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (03-05-2012),jennibear  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ohh your poor dd. I feel her pain. Whooping cough is terrible! I cant really remember what I had to have or what my mother did for me when I had it (around the same age as your dd). But I do remember having a puffer on me at all times to help me breath during the coughing fits.

You still can pick up whooping cough even while vaccinated against it. You just dont have it as bad as you would unvaccinated. Some viruses are like that. It still is really important for parents to have their child vaccinated.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Missemzy For This Useful Post:

Dannielle  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Vaccination isn't 100 percent and that is a pretty harsh thing to say to someone who's child may have it ... you do not know their vaccination status! And its really not something that needs to be brought into mention here.

Op - *hugs* Ds had bronchiolitis at 7 weeks and the cough from that was scary enough for me, I can't imagine what you and your lo are going through.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    I think this was meant as a general statement, not to have a go at anyone.

I agree that vaccinations are not 100% and it's something very close to my heart as having a relative almost brain damaged from a reaction to vaccinations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    They are all vaccinated.

Always have been. I even paid for the chicken pox one before it was part of the normal immunisations.

Weird if she does have it but if it's not it's a bad virus of some sort. Had immunisations, then DD1 and DD3 (DD2's twin) had it 3 yrs ago (but nothing like this and DD1 wasn't even sick and even argued with the Dr that he had it wrong and he should re-test lol)

Miseemzy- Do you remember if your puffer helped at all? I'm not convinced it's doing anything but we are continuing as per Dr instructions and I will talk to him tomorrow. I asked DD2 if it helps but she just said she doesn't know.

She just told me she doesn't want dinner.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 03-05-2012 at 17:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds a lot like the cough my DD had last year. It lasted for weeks and was absolutely terrible. The Dr said it wasn't whooping cough but a virus that had pretty much exactly the same effect. Unfortunately no vaccination for that...

It might sound crazy but we actually found butter menthols helped take the edge off and reduce the coughing slightly. Kids butter menthols. And something we call 'honey tea'. A teaspoon of honey and a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon dissolved in hot water, and then add cold water to cool it to a safe and drinkable temperature for kids. We used the medicinal honey as it has anti bacterial effects, but any honey will help soothe.

Good luck. Its so draining, emotionally and physically.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Dannielle  (03-05-2012)