+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Has anyone offered EBM to their older child while ill?

DS2 is almost six months old and is fully bf.
    DS1 was bf until 2 years 9 months. He's now four.

We all had a very nasty virus. We all got over it except for DS1 who can't seem to shake it. He gets better then worse then better then it comes back. It's been more than three weeks and it's getting him down.

He has been to the Dr who said we're doing all the right things.

He's literally never been sick before aside from a sniffle or teething fever. While he was bf he was exposed to everything and had fantastic immunity.

I've tried everything to help him get over this but nothing has worked. I'm considering trying to express a little milk for him to see if it helps, since I had the virus and got over it easily. I tend to have trouble expressing so if I can't I would offer him an actual feed, I'd just much prefer to express if I can and am unsure if he even could feed after all this time.

Has anyone offered a feed or EBM to their weaned child when sick? Did it help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry your DS is so sick! I do know someone who did but her son ended up diagnosed with an actual disease so it wasn't going to help anyway.
    But I would definitely do it. It can't hurt and I beleive it would help.

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Etienne

Managed to express about 20ml this morning (drip by drip. My body doesn't like the pump!) and he had that. Going to express more this arvo.

Will post a follow up re if it helps

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've given my 4 year old ebm on a few occassions. I've been trying to get my 16 month old to take a bottle but she won't so I figure why waste?

It's worth a shot, can't hurt!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It definitely won't cause harm, which we know.

We know it helps boost immunity, so it would only have a positive effect.

I have heard of sick people (eg- cancer patients) receiving EBM from relatives to help improve their immunity. I am not sure if there are studies on it supporting its efficacy.

Something I take and give to my daughter daily is powdered bovine collostrum (added to bottle for DD and a smoothie for me) to boost our immunity. Studies have found that it is as affective as the flu injection in preventing flu (and it's not legal to give a 2 year old a flu injection, nor would I want to). The chemical compound is almost exactly the same as human collostrum and it retains much of its benefits in freeze dried form (minus live enzymes). My doctor actually recommended it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never gave it to a sick child to drink BUT i did put drops of it in my older dds eye for pink eye and it worked a treat!