+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly View Post
    Pretty much this. I don't mind people getting their kit off while, say, at the beach or swimming. But as non-prudish as I am, I rate a man going out in public shirtless down there with those who go out without shoes!

I have no problem with boobs - in fact I rather like them (for a straight gal!) - but I know not everyone feels that way, so I don't mind the fact that women have to cover up.

That being said, I have NO problem with a woman getting a boob out to breast feed! And get annoyed when people DO mind.
    I agree I support breast feeding in public too.
    I just think its more classy to wear clothes when out.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    Do you think Archie was as obsessed with boobs as ladiesman217??
    Nup, Archie was only obsessed with exploring

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't agree with it, the implication that there's something offensive or overly sexual about a woman's chest and that women aren't allowed the same liberties as a result is offensive to me.

I think the sexualisation of breasts is largely a cultural thing, we're conditioned to associate them with sex more than we associate them with their function - to feed babies (although that might be less true amongst the members of a pregnancy & parenting forum)
    If it's ok to have them out while breastfeeding then why isn't it ok to have them out at any other time, they're still the same things, there for the same purpose.

And as it's been pointed out, it's really just nipples that can't be shown which is just kind of silly and arbitrary.

I don't personally have any desire to walk around with my top off (except maybe on 40+ degree days!), and I prefer for both men and women to cover up in most situations but to say that women have to seems a wee bit discriminatory...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ooh no. I'm happy for both sexes to wear tops in public... Just think of the sun damage - not to mention the lack of 'support'!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes, I do. People mistake breasts for genitals which they are NOT.

Some men have bigger breasts than some women, seriously. But they can be topless but our smaller chested female counterparts cannot.

It's discrimination and it's the reason they're so taboo and we have all of this childish nonsense with breastfeeding in public.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

felicita  (04-05-2012),Gandalf  (03-05-2012),Lillynix  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No ones ever complained to me about it

Haha. Meh, if a chick is confident enough in her own body to walk around topless - good on her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Men's chests are sexualised, too. Our legs are at times, as well as our faces, mouths, hair. We'd be wearing full burquas if we used the logic that we must cover parts that certain people deem sexual.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think both men and women should have to wear shirts when they're in the shops etc. Outdoors I don't have a problem. Should it be illegal for women to be topless when it's not for men? Technically no, it is a discriminatory law but I think the law should be that anyone who has boobs should cover them up...men included.

Women lie topless at the beaches around here. Generally they sit further away than everyone else but they're never made to put their top back on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not okay with shirtless men in public outside of the beach/pool, it's rarely attractive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Do you think it's gender discrimination for a male to be allowed into an area bare chested, but for a female to be banned from the exact same area for not wearing a top (i.e.: breasts completely exposed).

Why/why not?
    For me, it's different for women and men. I don't know why, it just is. Is it discrimination? Probably. Does it bother me? Not in the slightest. But then I have zero desire to go topless anywhere at any time. I have zero desire in seeing other people randomly walking around topless as well. At the beach, whatever, I don't care. I don't go to the beach so as far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue.

Breasts are sexualised whether we like it or not. And it's never going to change. Do I think it should? Not sure. I'm all for breastfeeding without being "discreet" (and thing it's a stupid notion that women should have to cover up) but TBH in my life, when I'm not breastfeeding, boobs are sexual. And I'd be suggesting that they are for every other woman on this forum when it comes to partaking in sexual activities. Women are lucky that that - we can multi-task. Our boobs can be sexual and not all at the same time

I silently judge anyone who walks up the street without a top on, male or female. So while it may be discriminatory in the legal sense for females to do so, my thoughts and judgments are not. I bag men and women out equally