+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What have I started? Comments and Advice Needed

Hi All,

I have a little boy who is now around 4.5 weeks of age.

I am struggling to understand how he could be so different from my first (DD now nearly 3). She from the start was a great sleeper - she did have wind issues for nearly 3 months but that generally settled in time.

This one from the beginning has made it very clear that he is VERY different from his sister. He does struggle with wind, especially in his tummy. He also is suffering from constipation issues. After consultation with the Paedeatrician he is on 2ml of lactoluse to help soften his poo. I am also adding 10ml of water to his formula. He is currently breast and bottle fed but my supply is quickly drying up.

I am thinking the lactoluse is giving him his stomach pains but the Paedeatrician wants to clean him out and give his bowels a kick start until I see the Paed again when he is around 9 weeks old.

He has two feeds at night around 10ish and maybe around 2am but that does vary. After that 2am feed he is sooooo grunty and windy and is in a lot of pain for the rest of the night.

I think what I am getting at is that I am struggling to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I know it will get better as he gets older but it is so hard at the moment.

I have also started putting him in the sling during the day if he is particularly upset and in pain (usually in the afternoon) but I am afraid that I am making things difficult by starting this - what if he will only sleep in the sling? Will he stop sleeping in his cot?

I never even used the sling with my first!

Can somebody offer a little reassurance that things will get better - has anybody else suffered with a particularly windy little one and when will they sort through it?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!

My son was like this in the early weeks. He was also breast and forumla fed. I was using s26 gold which did not agree with him one little bit. He would GRUNT SO SO loud, and cry and at that time i had no idea why he was struggling. I just thought he was a really noisey noisey sleeper. Well it got to the point my son was constipated from the s26 gold, and was giving him very bad wind. Apparently the golds have too much iron in them. Anyway as soon as i changed him to heinz nuture he almost immediately stopped the grunty and crying pains.

Could your little one be suffering with the same thing my LO was? Which formula have you put him on?

Hopefully you find some answers. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It will get better hon. I think he wont acquire bad habits (ie only sleeping in a sling) at this young age, all bubs are very needy and happy out as close to mum as possible. Do what you have to do, as his wind issues ease then you can persist with what routine you want with him. No point in an unhappy bub and mum at this stage. These early weeks are so damn hard. But they do pass.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Also i changed my DD from boob to formula and used Nan HA Gold. Its apparently very eay on the gut and we didnt have any problems, it is mre expensive than the others though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep have a very windy child. I still remember the days I would rock him to sleep or lie him on his back legs in the air patting his bum to sleep. He generally got better about 6 months old when he could burp or fart without much assistance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Guys - he is on Nan HA Gold. I am keep setting myself goals to get through - get to 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 12 weeks and so on. At the moment it just is so exhausting that I feel I can't give anything to anybody else in the family. I feel so guilty that I can't give as much attention to my 3 year old and it just seems like groundhog day every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh btw don't worry about it setting him up for problems later. I did any number of things to get through it during the day including sling, sleeping on me, near me, in my arms and he is 14mths old and has slept in his cot almost every night since a newborn and now settles fine in cot for days, self settles for every sleep. It will get easier

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseBear View Post
    Thanks Guys - he is on Nan HA Gold. I am keep setting myself goals to get through - get to 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 12 weeks and so on. At the moment it just is so exhausting that I feel I can't give anything to anybody else in the family. I feel so guilty that I can't give as much attention to my 3 year old and it just seems like groundhog day every day.
    Oh Jessebear i know that guilt! I have a 21 mo and DS is 7 mths, when he was born those first few weeks were MAD!! DDs world was turned upside down and she was way too young to understand. DS is and was a massive feeder, everyday i got up and told myself, "this too will pass" hang in there hon, pm me if you want any advice. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It does get easier. My 2 kids have been very different too. My ds was a nightmare with lots of grunting, crying, screaming, not sleeping, etc. He had silent reflux and was hard work. A real breakthrough for me with him was when I said that he needs sleep and whatever works to get him to sleep is what I need to do. I'd been worried about rocking/patting/etc to sleep prior to that. Things got a LOT better when I relaxed and just did whatever it took to get him to sleep. Unfortunately for me I have a bad back and a sling/carrier is not an option, so I often spent hours with a sleeping baby on my lap in the lounge ... if I got up he'd wake up . BUT, he got his sleep so he could manage his other issues SO much better. He was at his worst at 4 weeks and gradually improved from there.

With my dd she had colic so would sleep reasonably well during the day, but screamed for hours in the evening. I really found that putting her in the electric baby swing after a feed helped heaps! For overnight feeds she'd not settle fully (eyes would be closed, but she'd be restless) for up to an hour, but if I put her in the swing she'd be restless there, but probably due to the rocking & being partially upright she would burp/pass wind/etc and then settle easier. If I put her straight into the bassinet she'd be restless for hours instead of just 45 minutes.

So, I say do whatever it takes to promote sleep. If you don't have an electric baby swing see if you can borrow one from someone or buy one - it's a great investment - my ds loved his, but he was nearly 5 months when we got one so I'm not sure if it would have helped him earlier - probably though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You must be exhausted! For both my dd & ds gold formula upset their tummies. I switched to plain formula (s26) and had much happier bubbas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds2 is 4.5 weeks and sounds just like yours. In desperation I went out and bought a swing, but he doesn't really like it that much yet. Apparently they like them more when they get a bit bigger. I am trying gripe water for the colic, but I can't really recommend it because I'm not sure if it's doing anything.
    Sorry I'm not any help, but just thought it would be good to know that you aren't alone. Will let u know if anything starts working