+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If people say they can't because they're "married to god"... isn't that gay marriage? (Ok, poor taste gag there).

I stopped going to church years ago, even though I'm technically "catholic" but I choose to not get too involved in any church issues as it gets me angry. I do think ANY person should be free to marry ANY other person. (Adults, obviously) and that covers all religion, gender, race, all that jazz.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellaxo For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Feel free not to take part in it
    Yeh..I've already decided it's not for me - thanks.

I am taking part in society though, and because practises going on within these organisations affect other humans within that society - I do feel free to have an opinion on it.

They aren't immune from criticism.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 03-05-2012 at 12:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    The focus on sex, mastur bation and marriage within the Catholic realm really baffles me personally.

I don't agree with the restrictions they place on people.
    It doesn't baffle me at all. Its all about control. Its one way of controlling people and encouraging dependence. And banning things that are hard to avoid keeps people feeling guilty. Then the Church helps them deal with their guilt (confessions etc).

When I studied sociology at uni one of the courses discussed these kinds of issues in detail. It was very interesting and made me reevaluate my ideas about organised religion.

I don't agree with the restrictions either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's so not biblical for them 'not to be allowed to marry'.....some people are called to be single forever but that is between them and God and it doesn't just apply to church leaders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I believe the bibe encourages church leaders to be celibate but states so clearly that if it is too hard then the should marry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    It doesn't baffle me at all. Its all about control. Its one way of controlling people and encouraging dependence. And banning things that are hard to avoid keeps people feeling guilty. Then the Church helps them deal with their guilt (confessions etc).

When I studied sociology at uni one of the courses discussed these kinds of issues in detail. It was very interesting and made me reevaluate my ideas about organised religion.

I don't agree with the restrictions either.
    well, when you say it as simply as that - it doesn't sound so perplexing afterall

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    priests may be a different thing, but i can kinda see the point for nuns and brothers... we have nuns at work and the level of dedication they show to their work and community would be extremely difficult if they had children of their own. Either the kids would come second, or they would come first, meaning less to give to everyone else IYKWIM. I wont give specific examples for privacy but there are many. And of the ministers in other religions i know, most of their children would say they came second to the community in many ways, and didn't enjoy it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    well, when you say it as simply as that - it doesn't sound so perplexing afterall
    Any opinions that condemn the Catholic church wouldn't baffle you at all obviously as that seems to comply with your primary goal when entering these threads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Any opinions that condemn the Catholic church wouldn't baffle you at all obviously as that seems to comply with your primary goal when entering these threads.
    OMG!
    Seriously -- I poppped into this thread to answer the OP when it came up in 'new posts' ...just as many other people have done.

Lovin' all the personal digs people -- how about you get back on topic?

Personally -- I think the guy mentioned had a human right to marry...
    I think it is a form of discrimination to only 'employ' people who are willing to sacrifice certain human needs and desires.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 03-05-2012 at 15:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Wow, that's a big assumption.
    I'm not here to pass judgement upon anyone's spirituality and commitment to their vocation nor to put down the wonderful work of any pastors or Rabbis of other christian religions. However I was asked a question so answered straight.

I don't think a married man can do the job of a catholic priest in the same manner. In Marriage a couple's commitment is primarily to themselves and the family they raise, whereas a priest stands alone and is not clouded by his wife or the anguish and trials that raising children brings.

How is society to confess to a priest (catholic reconciliation) who is to go home to his family at night? Does it not make a priests job all the harder if he had a wife to keep things from?? We all know how us women want to know everything about everyone! lol I certainly won't feel like telling a married priest what my sins are. This is just an example...

Everyone has the right to be married if they want to. And any man also has the right to choose to belong to a small minority of people called catholic priests and vow NOT to be married and remain celibate. It is their choice.

Catholic priesthood numbers are dwindling in western society for many other materialistic reasons our advanced world brings us however Asia, South America & Africa have plenty of clergy pouring through...