+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    No...I stated that previously
    I personally don't think celibacy makes children an object of one's desire in any way, shape or form - but there are interesting discussions surrounding both sides of the debate.[/QUOTE]

I'm just stating that there are several discussions surrounding priests and celibacy, and paedophilia is one of them. When I mention something in the forum, it doesn't mean it's something I agree with. I'm just adding to the discussion.[/QUOTE]

Ok, cool. My reading eyes aren't working that well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (02-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think allowing priests to marry would result in more people joining the priesthood. My mother was a nun but but left the convent at 37 as she wanted to have children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Agreed.

I don't think marrying would stop pedophilia. Married people are child molesters too But I'm wondering why the catholic church has more reported cases than other christian churches. I've been looking for the page I was reading about 4 years ago but can't find it. But I definitely read it was statistical fact. Not sure if it was US or oz though, too long ago now.
    I should add...I have had A LOT of experience with child sex offenders in my short career thus far, and I can guarantee that they come from all walks of life, from all professions and have differing levels of sexual regularity.

The prevalence of these cases within the church are astounding and have left a lot of criminologists scratching their heads.

I do agree that's it's incredible and if criminologists can't figure it out, then I surely haven't a hope!

I wonder if back in the day when becoming a priest was a good thing that those who were a bit iffy were pushed in that direction?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Ok, cool. My reading eyes aren't working that well.
    It's ok, i'm not making much sense tonight.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I do agree that's it's incredible and if criminologists can't figure it out, then I surely haven't a hope!

I wonder if back in the day when becoming a priest was a good thing that those who were a bit iffy were pushed in that direction?
    That's interesting to note. I wonder if these type of offences within the church have declined since then (i'm guessing by back in the day, you mean 50's/60's).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelex View Post
    I think allowing priests to marry would result in more people joining the priesthood. My mother was a nun but but left the convent at 37 as she wanted to have children
    That's so fascinating! Is your mum still a practicing catholic?

That's interesting to note. I wonder if these type of offences within the church have declined since then (i'm guessing by back in the day, you mean 50's/60's).
    Into the seventies/early eighties as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No the priesthood should stay as it is. Priests have a special 'calling' and consider themselves 'married' to God if you will.
    There are plenty of married men and women doing the work of the Catholic church in all kinds of roles and this may better suit those who wish to be married and procreate.
    We see it as unnatural and an incredible sacrifice to be celibate but Catholic priests and nuns who have the strong yearning to do God's work to the utmost level humanly possible don't think the same way.
    I believe a married man cannot devote his time to prayer and give of his time to his parishioners the way a catholic priest can. It would be unfair on his wife and family. Priesthood is not just a job.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to brownsugar For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No there religion states clearly that marraige is not acceptable in priesthood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Not sure if it's true but I read somewhere Catholic priests ( and popes) were always allowed to marry until sometime near the 1500,s as there was a inheritance dispute between one of the popes and the Vatican so they changed the rules so popes could not have children ( imagine inheriting the wealth of the Vatican today!!)
    This was my understanding too. That the ban on marriage was to preserve the Church's assets and power. And its a mechanism of control. No family to counter the church's power over the priest.

I believe that priests should be allowed to marry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Agreed.

I don't think marrying would stop pedophilia. Married people are child molesters too But I'm wondering why the catholic church has more reported cases than other christian churches. I've been looking for the page I was reading about 4 years ago but can't find it. But I definitely read it was statistical fact. Not sure if it was US or oz though, too long ago now.
    The Catholic church is very big, with a lot of money. Would be interesting to get records from every known peadophile to see if any were an active part of any religion, and what that religion is.

A lot of them are married, I really do not think that it's because they can't marry. That's like saying "oh we locked him up for messing with kids but it's ok now, he's married"