+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    they should be allowed to marry if nuns and same sex couples are too imo.

i think the church (any church) has to start adapting to society and obviously priests want the option, as do nuns (i'm assuming) and i know same sex couples do.

not even going near the other convo.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    Ok thank you, ive had a look (as im pretty well read when it comes to the bible) Although he may have been married earlier, Paul chose to stay single after he was commissioned as an apostle. (1 Cor. 7:7; 9:5) For the sake of the ministry, both Jesus and Paul encouraged others to imitate their example where possible. Yet, neither of them set celibacy as a requirement for ministers.

In fact 1 Tim. 4:1-3 says " However, the inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired utterances and teachings of demons, by the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, marked in their conscience as with a branding iron; forbidding to marry, commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth"

That scripture says 'forbidding' to marry is a false teaching and not from God.

Rather it should be a choice as the example of Paul and Jesus shown

A key point in Paul’s counsel is that Christians would do “well” to make room in their lives for singleness. (1 Corinthians 7:1, 8, 26, 37) In no way, however, does he invite them to take a vow of celibacy. On the contrary, he wrote: “If anyone thinks he is behaving improperly toward his virginity, if that is past the bloom of youth, and this is the way it should take place, let him do what he wants; he does not sin. Let them marry.” -1 Corinthians 7:36.

I really cant see the scriptural basis for celibacy at all.
    I know that celibacy isn't a catholic dogma, rather it's a discipline and not "forbidden" as such but it's something that has evolved in our western catholic society? I'm not that well versed - even when I was a practicing catholic, I interpreted the text in my own way.

As an aside, married men can be ordained as a priest...

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    I love how the conversation jumps from if priests should be able to marry to about Pedophiles...

Any man or women should be able to marry any other man or woman they wish, as long as it adheres to the law.

So no one gets offended..
    Back to the point people...
    I think the conversation is very valid, given that it has revolved around celibacy and its possible implications

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

delirium  (02-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I love how the conversation jumps from if priests should be able to marry to about Pedophiles...

Any man or women should be able to marry any other man or woman they wish, as long as it adheres to the law.

I think these two issues are indelibly linked.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

delirium  (02-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I think the conversation is very valid, given that it has revolved around celibacy and its possible implications
    Do you honestly believe that celibacy = paedophilia? I always thought that peads were a different breed - people that are sexually attracted to children.
    How would marriage change that?
    Genuinely want your opinion, not trying to sound narky.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

In defence of the thread, its digression and those posting, the subject of the OP, Father Kevin, raised this very topic in an interview on Today Tonight (I think it was that program).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Do you honestly believe that celibacy = paedophilia? I always thought that peads were a different breed - people that are sexually attracted to children.
    No...I stated that previously

[/QUOTE]
    I personally don't think celibacy makes children an object of one's desire in any way, shape or form - but there are interesting discussions surrounding both sides of the debate.[/QUOTE]

I'm just stating that there are several discussions surrounding priests and celibacy, and paedophilia is one of them. When I mention something in the forum, it doesn't mean it's something I agree with. I'm just adding to the discussion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not sure if it's true but I read somewhere Catholic priests ( and popes) were always allowed to marry until sometime near the 1500,s as there was a inheritance dispute between one of the popes and the Vatican so they changed the rules so popes could not have children ( imagine inheriting the wealth of the Vatican today!!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think these two issues are indelibly linked.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I don't think marrying would stop pedophilia. Married people are child molesters too But I'm wondering why the catholic church has more reported cases than other christian churches. I've been looking for the page I was reading about 4 years ago but can't find it. But I definitely read it was statistical fact. Not sure if it was US or oz though, too long ago now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add...I have had A LOT of experience with child sex offenders in my short career thus far, and I can guarantee that they come from all walks of life, from all professions and have differing levels of sexual regularity.

The prevalence of these cases within the church are astounding and have left a lot of criminologists scratching their heads.