+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When catholics talk of celibacy they are referring to the original meaning of the word which is being "unmarried".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    They aren't a homogenous group any more than women or homosexuals. You get ar$eholes in all groups of people - no one imo is more deserving than another.
    True. I considered that "better" wasn't exactly what I meant, but didn't bother to edit. I mostly meant a better first choice to allow to marry... since a preist becomes a priest willingly, knowing all that it entails. A person in a same-sex relationship doesn't "decide" to be homosexual... so my point was more they "deserve" the right to marry more, IMO.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onionskin View Post
    No. I don't think that the catholic church should let priests marry.

If all we worry about is bringing in new members with our change in ways, where does that leave all the devout members, who were raised as catholics. Would they not feel left out, or that the 'younger generation' has tried to change what has always been. I also wonder how many established parishoners would leave the church if such fundamental rules were changed.

I am not sure what the answer is to bring in new priests and parishoners. I think the answer is multi-faceted and not simply do this or do that.
    I was raised a catholic.

If the church moved with the times, perhaps people all over the world wouldn't be turning their backs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

MrsMackSee  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

If the church moved with the times, perhaps people all over the world wouldn't be turning their backs.
    Yes like telling women it's a sin to use birth control That was one of the main reasons I turned my back on catholism as a teen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes like telling women it's a sin to use birth control That was one of the main reasons I turned my back on catholism as a teen.
    Particularly when they still condemn the use of condoms in HIV affected places like Africa.

I am catholic but I don't feel I need the church to be so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    If the catholic church wasn't open to change, nuns would still be wearing habits and priests would be saying mass in Latin with their backs turned.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (07-05-2012),mrsd  (05-05-2012),twotrunks  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think anybody can deny the religion is definitely declining. And to bring people back, they need to ask why, take a look and be willing to be a bit more flexible.

Mass attendance has fallen, the number of people willing to become nuns, priests and brothers is falling. Teachings are pretty much the same.

There's no budging, and it shows.

ETA - I think they have to be a bit more open to change than simply not facing east and changing dress rules. They need to be more relatable in other ways.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 05-05-2012 at 19:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think anybody can deny the religion is definitely declining. And to bring people back, they need to ask why, take a look and be willing to be a bit more flexible.

Mass attendance has fallen, the number of people willing to become nuns, priests and brothers is falling. Teachings are pretty much the same.

There's no budging, and it shows. P
    That is in Australia, not globally! Catholic Churches in Asia, Africa, South America are bursting at the seems with young and old alike! Love and passion for God is blazing there!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to brownsugar For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I 100 per cent support priests being married. For most human beings, being alone and celibate is an unnatural state...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    True. I considered that "better" wasn't exactly what I meant, but didn't bother to edit. I mostly meant a better first choice to allow to marry... since a preist becomes a priest willingly, knowing all that it entails. A person in a same-sex relationship doesn't "decide" to be homosexual... so my point was more they "deserve" the right to marry more, IMO.
    I have heard of the priesthood being considered a calling. I am sure there are those that feel they didn't choose to be a priest but was chosen by God to be so, and if they ignored the path he had laid out for them it would've been at their own peril.

I am just saying that there is argument that it isn't a choice.