+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After all Revelation 22:18, 19 says -
    "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's ridiculous to think that people cannot be committed to god and a partner. I think this is part of the reason why many people are rejecting the catholic faith. I think it's frustrating that this priest was excommunicated, yet priests and other people in the church have raped children and are shipped elsewhere, free to continue to hurt children with no punishment at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    I have utmost respect for the catholics on here but, but theres one thing that as a christian really bothers me

I still dont understand why catholics make up rules that arent 'grey' areas in the bible but are clearly spelt out for us or others that have no biblical basis at all or worse yet contradict Gods word?

I ask where the biblical basis is for certain beliefs or practices but get no straight response. No scriptures, no reasoning that agrees with the scriptures. Just that its church tradition. They add to the word of the Bible and take away (ignore) those that contradict church tradition. Rather than the bible being the final authority as it should be.

The Bible gives us everything we need, and anything in church tradition that attempts to change what the Bible said is therefore, imho, false (from a christian standpoint)

Im not trying to offend, im really just trying to understand how a christian finds this acceptable?
    Completely off topic, but the bible is written by man, edited, translated, added to, taken away from... All by man. For a variety of purposes.

I personally believe the bible is nothing without prayer to guide you to the truth of scripture.

I also believe that if God has (and had) a representative on earth that his/her direct revelations would be more relevant and would trump an overedited bible.

Assuming I prayed about and received confirmation they spoke His words of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Completely off topic, but the bible is written by man, edited, translated, added to, taken away from... All by man. For a variety of purposes.

I personally believe the bible is nothing without prayer to guide you to the truth of scripture.

I also believe that if God has (and had) a representative on earth that his/her direct revelations would be more relevant and would trump an overedited bible.

Assuming I prayed about and received confirmation they spoke His words of course.
    BUt Chistians believe scripture is completely the word of God...and I assume Catholics do too?? I find alot of what the catholics believe hard to accept for this reason.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    BUt Chistians believe scripture is completely the word of God...and I assume Catholics do too?? I find alot of what the catholics believe hard to accept for this reason.
    Fundamentalist Christians do.

Catholics are Christians, but I think The Pope's revelation trumps scripture?

Most Christians believe the holy spirit guides you to the truth in scriptures rather than 'what is written, is'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Fundamentalist Christians do.

Catholics are Christians, but I think The Pope's revelation trumps scripture?

Most Christians believe the holy spirit guides you to the truth in scriptures rather than 'what is written, is'.
    The Holy Spirit interprets scripture, it will never disagree with what is written. The pope bit, I guess that's why I will never be catholic

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    The Holy Spirit interprets scripture, it will never disagree with what is written. The pope bit, I guess that's why I will never be catholic
    Fundamentalist.

I don't see why God would stop sending 'prophets' to lead and guide his people, especially in these times.

The OT is mostly a collection of the words of pre-Christ prophets, their word is scripture (and contradicts), surely the words of prophets called of God since then are 'scripture' too?

Waits for the inevitable scripture that usually follows this kind of post...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fundamentalist.

I don't see why God would stop sending 'prophets' to lead and guide his people, especially in these times.

The OT is mostly a collection of the words of pre-Christ prophets, their word is scripture (and contradicts), surely the words of prophets called of God since then are 'scripture' too?

Waits for the inevitable scripture that usually follows this kind of post...
    Fundamentalist. If that means believing the word of God to be true all of the time then that's cool with me

He hasn't stopped sending prophets but their words always line up with the bible, that is how we are to test their authenticity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feeding/sleeping bubba on lap so short responses without scripture refs for now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No. I don't think that the catholic church should let priests marry.

If all we worry about is bringing in new members with our change in ways, where does that leave all the devout members, who were raised as catholics. Would they not feel left out, or that the 'younger generation' has tried to change what has always been. I also wonder how many established parishoners would leave the church if such fundamental rules were changed.

I am not sure what the answer is to bring in new priests and parishoners. I think the answer is multi-faceted and not simply do this or do that.