+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    If u made the original statement it goes to show that ur point is quite irrelevant! This wasn't about making statements about whether or not non Christians can be good people! lol
    Yeah....ok (that's right, I wheeled him out).

I find it really interesting that some people seem to be threatened by the idea of a priest being married. I believe that if the Vatican relaxed/removed this requirement of priests they would attract far more people to the role. They might also like to consider accepting women too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course! If Paul didn't want to then that's his choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't think a married man can do the job of a catholic priest in the same manner. In Marriage a couple's commitment is primarily to themselves and the family they raise, whereas a priest stands alone and is not clouded by his wife or the anguish and trials that raising children brings.

How is society to confess to a priest (catholic reconciliation) who is to go home to his family at night? Does it not make a priests job all the harder if he had a wife to keep things from?? We all know how us women want to know everything about everyone! lol I certainly won't feel like telling a married priest what my sins are. This is just an example...

Everyone has the right to be married if they want to. And any man also has the right to choose to belong to a small minority of people called catholic priests and vow NOT to be married and remain celibate. It is their choice.
    I worked in a field where confidentiality was paramount. I came home to Dh and said I had a sh*t day with one of my clients yelling at me, but that was as far as I went. Married people can keep confidentiality That's kind a kick in the teeth to us secular people who hold jobs where we have to keep confidentiality.

Far from being a bad thing, I think being married with kids would be an asset. Priests essentially have little to no life experience to understand a man confessing infidelity or a mother confessing hating her child. When you function in the real world you can identify (but maybe not condone) with people's sins and lives. It's the same with a priest counselling.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (04-05-2012),Elijahs Mum  (03-05-2012),misskittyfantastico  (03-05-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With regards to the whole pedophile priest problem, my thoughts are that allowing priest to marry will
    * not reduce the chance that any particular individual will abuse children, but it will
    * attract more normal people to the profession and thus reduce the proportion of the priesthood who are abusers.

So on an individual level, I don't think it will have any effect, but on a community level it will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I don't really care. But if they're going to let people who haven't been able to marry for a while be allowed to marry... I can think of a much better group of people who deserve that right.
    They aren't a homogenous group any more than women or homosexuals. You get ar$eholes in all groups of people - no one imo is more deserving than another.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

onionskin  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Priests AND nuns should be allowed to marry. So should lesbian/gay couples.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I worked in a field where confidentiality was paramount. I came home to Dh and said I had a sh*t day with one of my clients yelling at me, but that was as far as I went. Married people can keep confidentiality That's kind a kick in the teeth to us secular people who hold jobs where we have to keep confidentiality.

Far from being a bad thing, I think being married with kids would be an asset. Priests essentially have little to no life experience to understand a man confessing infidelity or a mother confessing hating her child. When you function in the real world you can identify (but maybe not condone) with people's sins and lives. It's the same with a priest counselling.
    Well it's a difference of opinion clearly. I feel it's a completely different case when one is confessing sins to God, through a priest and it's very different to going to a counsellor..

And no I don't believe you need to BE married to be a marriage counsellor. You needn't have had to experience every problem your parishioners may have when they come to you for advice, in order to have a moral standpoint based on the Catholic faith. They are intelligent human beings who have undergone 7 years of study to become ordained a priest and I'm sure this is adequate for them to be able to assist people with the situations they find themselves in. by the way, confession is not a counselling service AT ALL... it is a medium in which one is given absolution for the sins they have committed, which they are truly sorry for.
    There is also a large support network to help the priest in his work, so he's not abandoned to figure things out for himself... there is a lot of parish support for him and in addition they have several meetings regularly with the archdiocese.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Well it's a difference of opinion clearly. I feel it's a completely different case when one is confessing sins to God, through a priest and it's very different to going to a counsellor..

And no I don't believe you need to BE married to be a marriage counsellor. You needn't have had to experience every problem your parishioners may have when they come to you for advice, in order to have a moral standpoint based on the Catholic faith. They are intelligent human beings who have undergone 7 years of study to become ordained a priest and I'm sure this is adequate for them to be able to assist people with the situations they find themselves in. by the way, confession is not a counselling service AT ALL... it is a medium in which one is given absolution for the sins they have committed, which they are truly sorry for.
    There is also a large support network to help the priest in his work, so he's not abandoned to figure things out for himself... there is a lot of parish support for him and in addition they have several meetings regularly with the archdiocese.
    Don't most Catholics now use the third rite of reconciliation? No one need confess in the box of sins - it's all modern!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Don't most Catholics now use the third rite of reconciliation? No one need confess in the box of sins - it's all modern!
    Not that modern! lol
    The sacrament of reconciliation where one goes into the booth is still very much in practice and begins for school aged kids in grade 3/4, in the same old traditional format as before however now you may sit next to the priest if you prefer rather than kneeling at the kneeler.

Yes the third rite is there but generally Catholics are still encouraged to reconcile in the traditional way, particularly before Easter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have utmost respect for the catholics on here but, but theres one thing that as a christian really bothers me

I still dont understand why catholics make up rules that arent 'grey' areas in the bible but are clearly spelt out for us or others that have no biblical basis at all or worse yet contradict Gods word?

I ask where the biblical basis is for certain beliefs or practices but get no straight response. No scriptures, no reasoning that agrees with the scriptures. Just that its church tradition. They add to the word of the Bible and take away (ignore) those that contradict church tradition. Rather than the bible being the final authority as it should be.

The Bible gives us everything we need, and anything in church tradition that attempts to change what the Bible said is therefore, imho, false (from a christian standpoint)

Im not trying to offend, im really just trying to understand how a christian finds this acceptable?