+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks Diamond Eyes. Good to know it will just be a chat. I had no idea what they would do and was expecting him having to do things for a stranger and getting shy or not doing what they want. So I feel better now!

I'll have to make a list of the words he says as I'm sure they will want to know how many etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing...

My DD's kindy teacher asked me if she had SPD (so i had to go home & google what that was!) And when i asked DS's health nurse about it, she referred us to an OT. The OT thinks DD has much more than SPD and is suspecting Aspergers. Now waiting on our first paed appt!

I knew absolutely nothing about ASD until this all started happening. Now i see my DD in everything i read about it

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustShiney View Post
    Subscribing...

My DD's kindy teacher asked me if she had SPD (so i had to go home & google what that was!) And when i asked DS's health nurse about it, she referred us to an OT. The OT thinks DD has much more than SPD and is suspecting Aspergers. Now waiting on our first paed appt!

I knew absolutely nothing about ASD until this all started happening. Now i see my DD in everything i read about it
    SPD and ASD do go hand in hand unfortunately, *hugs* its the SPD that i find the hardest, because for my boys, its usually the root of their behaviour when we are out and about.

good luck with your appt.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustShiney View Post
    Subscribing...

It is very daunting. My brother has ASD, as does my cousin's boy, so it wasn't so daunting with dd. The process I mean, it's always daunting as a parent, it becomes your whole existence!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    OP, what did you end up deciding to do re the appointment?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've decided to go MsMummy. It's next week so will see how we go.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (06-05-2012),Zombie_eyes  (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update - had our appt, and he's fine. Paed said there is no evidence of Autism based on how he was and the answers I gave. So that was what I expected, but glad I went and got him checked out.

Thanks again for all the opinions and advice

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

CMF  (18-05-2012),steel magnolia  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I find it interesting how different professionals decide different things. I have a almost 3 year old who has very delayed speech, multiple SPDs, horrifying tantrums and meltdowns, toe walker, no sense of danger at all, difficult getting his attention alot of the time, doesn't play with other kids, but is fine with adults once he gets to know them and because he is good with adults no one thinks he could be on the ASD. I've had to push and push to get a referral to ASPECT, and they are only doing it to appease me, my nephew has autism so its in the family. This whole journey has been a nightmare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Beebs. I was just flicking through and wondered how you got on.

I am going through the process with DS at the moment. I have not had to push but wait and see. But the pead today said it's time to send it up to get a DX.
    DS is similar to what you have described but he is not so good with adults either but he has been taught to cuddle to say goodbye (silly grandma is great with the guilt trips). That gets the Drs every time.
    Hope you have an answer soon. I hate the waiting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I find it interesting how different professionals decide different things. I have a almost 3 year old who has very delayed speech, multiple SPDs, horrifying tantrums and meltdowns, toe walker, no sense of danger at all, difficult getting his attention alot of the time, doesn't play with other kids, but is fine with adults once he gets to know them and because he is good with adults no one thinks he could be on the ASD. I've had to push and push to get a referral to ASPECT, and they are only doing it to appease me, my nephew has autism so its in the family. This whole journey has been a nightmare.
    My daughter was diagnosed late because of that, she has always been fine around adults. We finally found a Paed who said of course she is good around adults, she has learnt how to behave around adults by copying those around her, but it's a learnt behaviour, not something natural to her. Much like PP said about the cuddles, it's a learnt behaviour, so should go ignored in the reports.