+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Embryo Donation????

I hope I am posting in the correct place.
    My husband and I attended a counselling session yesterday at the fertility clinic as part of the process of donating our embryos. We were very fortunate and fell on the 1st attempt and amazingly had a second child without IVF so we have 4 embryos that are frozen and aren't planning to use.

However it seems that there isn't much demand for embryos, so there could be a long period before anyone wants them if at all! I feel very dissappointed as I felt this was the choice for us, has anyone had an experience donating/recieving embryos and can tell me how long it was until a recepient was found???

Thanks
    Reviews

Default so not the case

Are you crazy???? There isnt much demand for them?? Do you really think that? Who on earth alluded you to that misperception. There are women screaming out for egg donors and embryo donations in this country! So much, we are prepared to go overseas and spends tens of thousands to get our desperate hands on them!! There is an 8 year waiting list at Queensland Fertility Group for an embryo. Why dont you join up (for free) the website eggdonationaustralia and you will see how in dire need your left over embryos are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure who gave you that information but pp is correct. Some IVF companies don't do embryo donation, ie Genea bit others do. If you look around, even here on BH there are soooo many wanting embryos. Congratulations in your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When we were looking at needing to go on an embryo waiting list we were told to expect at least a 3-5 year wait, and that we might never get to the top of the list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do u know that i am waiting for embryo for a long time and till now i dont found any one who donate to me . Hope i will find someone who will give me the happiness

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's fantastic you are donating. Good on you, but they are in HUGE demand. I'm so glad people like you exist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for all the replies.

I was a bit taken aback but the counsellor did say yesterday, that the demand was for donor eggs. They do not have a waiting list at the hospital for embryos and it seemed as though donor embryos were just a last ditch attempt for couples and sort of felt like second best??? although I can understand wanting to have some link to your child or finding it difficult thinking of carrying someone elses biological child...

I am in NSW so will look into what Queensland do. At this stage we were thinking of an anonymous donation and if they were in a different state we wouldn't wonder if we would ever bump into them.

I don't think couples are encouraged to donate the embryos enough, we could have just signed a form to have them destroyed and wouldn't have had to think about it again but we created them for the purpose of giving us a chance of a family so utimately that is what we would like to do for another couple. My husband only said tonight why does it feel like we are the only ones doing this as others we know have chosen not to. It is just harder than I thought it would be, we have made the decision and I thought that would be the hard bit.

Looks like a bit of research is in need

Thanks again everyone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Sunnyssideup For This Useful Post:

pav77  (20-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you for pursuing embryo donation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who ever told you no one would want them was just plain misleading. Thousands of couples are waiting hoping for the opportunity to try them.
    I have heard of a few couples told something similar because their clinics did not do donor embies. One couple was told because they both had red hair, they would find it very hard to find anyone who wanted them. Just plain rediculous.

Another website other than here is AED (Aussie Egg Donors), which is a closed forum for support and connection of donors and recipients. Even if you dont need to search for recipients anymore it is packed full of information, though they do have a strong bias toward known donations.

Good luck in your search for recipients. Im sure it wont take long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would like to say thank you on behalf of all couples on embryo waiting lists! We have been trying for a little bub for nearly 10 years, we have tried everything! We are now on an embryo waiting list here in Victoria. My expected wait period is 6 - 12 months. I am currently at 7th spot. I'm very excited because everytime I hear a wonderful couple like yourselves donating, we know we are one step closer to our dream! Receiving an embryo donation is our last chance...... thank God that there are people in the world like you and your husband. Thank you, Bek x