+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What criteria did you use to choose your child's school?

I am currently trying to choose a school for my oldest child. I have three in mind, they are all public schools but very different. I have a favourite but I am on a waiting list there, so trying to decide which of the other two should be the back up.

What were your key criteria?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    depends what's important to you sports, academic, music, performing arts et

class sizes?

do they have a tuckshop?

do they have after school care if needed ?

policies of behavior and bullying

do they do school camps, performance evenings

do they encourage parent Helpers

how do they help students who are struggling or gifted ?

do the kids look happy at the school ?
    have a tour of each school and youl get a feel !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I chose the school that I can walk her to. It's only 5 minutes up the road. It's also the primary school I went too theres other things i like about the school too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing. I just came in here to start the same thread!!

I'm choosing between 2 - one public, the other catholic - and am really struggling to see the differences other than the religious/fee aspect...I'm keen to see what others say...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine is.

class size
    male v female teachers ratio
    accelerated learning classes
    computer access
    pastoral care
    bullying policy
    forms of communication
    sport choices

I chose DS's school because of the way they teach. Its very different to other schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    -Educational Philosophy
    -Reputation for racial tolerance (my kids are brown and we've had many issues with their cousins being racially targeted)

No religion was a biggy for me, we're active church goers, but I'm not comfortable with a different denomination confusing the foundations and don't feel comfortable with someone with differing beliefs teaching my children something I consider to be very important. Our church doesn't have schools in countries with adequate education systems.
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 02-05-2012 at 21:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would not choose a religious school.

But that doesn't apply to you, as you have chosen 3 public schools.

I will be doing a tour of 2 local public schools to get a feel of each school. I recommend reading the annual school report, school plan, finding out the school's rules and policies, find out about curriculum and what activities the school offer.

TBH, both schools I am looking at are pretty much the same, but one is on my way to work, the other is a bit out of the way to my work, but where we are zoned to, and has before and after school care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I chose my school mainly for convience when i would start working again. I factored in direction, walking distance and public transport.

There was one school i preferred but in the end it just wasnt suitable for us with transport as i dont drive and if i had to send him to ASC/BSC, it just wasnt suitable for us.

Overall i am happy with the school though.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    When i was picking a shcool for DS and it got to the point where i had to make a final decision i picked the school with the nicest looking uniform..lol.
    It woked out well though. It was the best school in the area we ended up moving to and even if it had not been i knew he would have been there for 2 years max.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    One that I always think of is 'school spirit'.

I want my kids to go to a happy school, to have fun and feel safe there. I don't want them to feel like school is a chore.

I loved my school and I'd love to find a school that my kids enjoyed too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (04-05-2012)