+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default centrelink payments and ex-husband on and off

Hi There

I have a question about centrelink

I’m a “single” mother, on parenting payment have a 4 year old daughter

I have separated from my ex husband once, back again, separated again, back again (domestic violence involved and intervention order)
    I silly took intervention order out, and again.... end of last year stared dating my ex husband AGAIN
    Andd....

GOT PREGNANT.. again!! (really happy about my baby but..)... ANYWAY..of course we don’t work out..but I’m alone, and needy and have nothing else to do, me and my ex are still on and off, on and off

But i rent my place by myself, pay bills all alone, i dont want to depend on my ex-husband, i FINALLY have my own life, i had post natal depression, left his house and i finally got my job, have my own house and that makes me in control of my life

My ex stay at my house a few days a week, some weeks hes not even there, sometimes we have a big fight and hes totaly gone.. we are on the waiting list for counseling, but to be honest i dont think we will work

My mum is arriving next month to help me with new baby, and we then are off for a few months to my country (without ex-husband /boyfriend/ ex-boyfriend) whatever he is

My question is.. if i tell Centrelink we are this mess, on and off, they might end my payments, and ill be in a bad situation financially , now with 2 kids..i pay my rent, my bills, all by my self..my ex-husband its just a occasional boyfriend, who sometimes when we are in a good mood we get together (only to fight again)

Anyway..i dont need advice about my relationship, (i know , im a a silly girl etc, but not in best shape to be totally off him now)

Im just wondering how this can affect my centrelink payments.. i have to apply for maternity leave etc, and then will start the questions by then, as of course i didnt impregnated myself , lol... i work full time (pay is not much, but keeps me sane) and daughter is on full time child care, i cant afford to lose the child care benefit and rebate as well

Im a bit lost ... i don’t want to lose my payments over a such instable relationship,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Where does your ex live?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong (and please do!) but I think they only classify you are partnered if you are living under the one roof for two or more nights a week? I'm not exactly sure but I know someone else here will be able to help.

I'd be finding out what they do consider to be living in a partnered relationship, and just making sure you aren't. It's better to be safe than sorry with Centrelink.

No judgement here on your relationship...just remember to look after yourself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think they class relationship as living together more than 2 nights a week, shared bills, household chores etc.

If they question it, all you have to say is that you were giving your relationship another go to see if there is/was anything still there.

You dont live together, share bills etc so i dont see anything being done wrong at all.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    You need to becareful what you put on these sites. Centrelink employs people to patrol these sites to "answer" questions people have, personally I think they have other motives as to why they get people to patrol the forums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    There aren't any clear set of rules Centrelink use to determine wether you are in a relationship or not.
    I'd honestly just say you are single. A lot of people have flings with people or get back with an ex for a brief period of time and end up pregnant whilst single and in receipt of PPS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be wary if you do tell them you are single- all it takes is one person telling them they have seen him leaving your house of a morning etc... and they can put you under surveilance, prosecute and imprison you.
    Tell them the truth- then if you are entitled to SPP by them you shall get it- if you aren't entitled then you dont get it.

But there is no set number of nights a partner can stay over etc.. aws people seem to believe.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MommaBear For This Useful Post:

Feathers  (13-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I would be wary if you do tell them you are single- all it takes is one person telling them they have seen him leaving your house of a morning etc... and they can put you under surveilance, prosecute and imprison you.
    Tell them the truth- then if you are entitled to SPP by them you shall get it- if you aren't entitled then you dont get it.

But there is no set number of nights a partner can stay over etc.. aws people seem to believe.
    This rarely ever happens though. They have to be really suss about you. I recently dobbed someone rorting it in and was told by the guy from 'the tip off line' that most likely course of action is that she would receive a form just confirming her circumstance. So they just make it look like they are doing a usual review.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi creodemilda, I work at the Australian Government Department of Human Services in a team that responds to enquiries about Centrelink on social media sites like this one.

For Centrelink purposes, you're generally regarded as being a member of a couple if you and your partner usually live together, and are married, in a registered relationship or in a de facto relationship.

There's a whole lot more info about how relationships are assessed in this factsheet: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/publications/co576

If you share finances or it's complicated you can chat to a customer service person on 13 6150 to discuss your situation. The best approach is to always be up front with Centrelink about your situation - that way you can be sure you're getting the support you're entitled to.

Sjfergusson, I'm part of a team who check in here and elsewhere during business hours to see if we can help out with anything. We do this because we care about our customers and want to ensure they're getting good information about payments and services that they may be entitled to. There's more info about our use of social media here: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/corporate/site-information/use-of-social-media

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    omg, thanks everyone, forgot about this thread, 2 months later and so much happend, first of all its all solved (or I hope), we tried go counselling after this but they wouldnt take us, as there was domestic violence involved, they wanted him to go alone which wouldnt hep, to be honest, i belive nothing would have help us,
    it hurts, it hurts like hell, and im so afraid of the life alone with 2 kids... but truth is he will never change, he always will put his addiction in front of the family, no matter how much i try, i do, have involved his family , but they no what goes on and does not help much, i gave him a ultimatum after this too, or drugs of family, and guess what the choice was? i been pushed and threathen in the 2 months, being pregant didnt stopped him, but i kept trying, begging, believing that he would be a better man, that a new baby would change him.... its hard of me to give up on the dream of a perfect family, all this time separated i always deep inside hope for him to realize that we are more important that his life of addiction.. its so hard to realise the truth that is not going to happen
    sorry to be venting here, im just on a bad sad day... but my parents and sister got here for visit and baby birth and they are giving lots of support and it helps to take my mind of him, it hurts..but thank god i change my life because of hope to be with him, or now i wouldnt be with no payments having to raise to kids.....
    saying that, things wont be easy, ill be working on my job right up to the end, full time, as i need to save money for life with 2 kids, its so hard to have to live, work, being a mother and being so hurt, somedays i just cant stop crying,
    sometimes i belive he does not mean bad and he will change, but i think its stronger than him.. his temper, his addictions.... anyway, sorry for venting again, just having a bad day... not having a good pregnancy.. actuually i never did in my life with my first baby as well. Im also seeing a counselor (through my work) to help me cope with all this, but does not help much.. my friends i cant even count anymore as they have helpe me so much thorough all this years that now i even embaressed to admit that im still suffering over this man that never did any good for me.
    anyway thanks for advice, only thing that keeps me going is my kids, at least one good came of of that, which i my baby which still inside but i love so much already
    tks tks..and sorry for venting again..