+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Nanny Options - help me choose

I'm on several waiting lists for LDC and FDC around my home and work area's, but for now am forced to go with a nanny. I need some help please deciding which one.

My DS will be 10mths when care starts and it will be for 2-3 days per week. Both nannies have ref's, police checks, wwc etc

1. 70yr old grandmother who loves kids and is very young at heart with obviously a lot of experience.
    2. Low-Mid 20's female just starting out but full of energy and enthusiasm.

The granny is half the price, but I don't want that to be my only reason. I'm so confused, so tell me, which option would you go with?
    Last edited by Pesca77; 02-05-2012 at 13:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gee that's a tough one.

How does your DS get on with each of them? That would definitely be a big deciding factor for me.

Otherwise...I'd maybe be inclined to go with the 70 year old as people that age are very reliable in terms of showing up for work on time. Does she drive? I think having a car is important when hiring a nanny, just in case.

Hmmm I don't know! I can see the benefits of both! Maybe you should hire both of them and they can alternate days or something. Sorry I've been no help at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think I'd be inclined to go for the younger one just in terms of energy levels, active play, driving around, etc but as PP said ultimately I'd base it on which one my child liked best!

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think too, you need to take into consideration their physical abilities. Some 70yos are very able and fit, but some may be unable to lift a child easily or to get down on the floor to play with, or to chase and grab if needed. I would also worry about an older persons health, accidents can happen at anytime but a 70yo is at higher risk of heart attack or stroke, and what happens if that were to occur when they were caring for your child?

I personally would go with the younger of the two, providing I felt comfortable that they were mature and reliable.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If it were long term I'd say the younger woman, as your baby will grow into a toddler and i think chasing a toddler would be too much for a 70 year old. Unless it was only a couple of days a week. My 63 year old MIL has my toddler once a week and I feel more than that would be too taxing for her. If it's short term i'd be happy with either, with a more experienced person you may feel like your bub is in safer hands, but the flip side to that is they may be very set in their ways, and you may not feel comfortable telling them how you'd like things done. So hmm it looks like I'm leaning towards the younger woman, doesn't it?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. There's a few good points there and it seems people would lean more towards a younger nanny.

My DH (and I to a certain extent) are just paranoid about someone young not spending quality time with DS. We have visions of her on the phone or studying rather than actively playing/educating DS.

Are we just being neurotic first time parents?! I don't trust ref's 100% as anyone could get a mate to play that part (like many of us have done on rental applications ). God I wish it wasn't so hard to get childcare here.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You just never know about anyone though, the older woman might sit on the phone or watch tv all day. I was a brilliant nanny in my early 20's, I was full of beans and still enough of a kid myself to want to play all day.
    Maybe do a trial day with each of them, and see which one clicks more, who takes the initiative more, who is more playful, that sort of thing.

Thinking about it more, I would have to say that the half price would be a huge factor for me, if you really can't make up your mind that might make it for you. It would be the deciding factor for me if all else was equal.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (02-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is the younger one qualified?

Check references for both,
    Is the older one condescending?
    Does the younger one like kids or are they more interested in the cash?

What is the price differance, from experience 22-25 ph for a qualified nanny is reasonable, ( maybe the same for experience) 15 -22 ph for unqualified/ only experience

You don't want a nanny that's too cheap and you don't want one that's too expensive, keep advertising. Sometimes mummy-nannies are good a bit cheaper or nanny share with someone local good luck

And bottom line: choose who you feel most comfortable with

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that - both of them have excellent references and it's hard to tell on the other points unfortunately. Obviously everyone will be on their best behaviour in 'test' situations (as we all would).

It's a difference of $20ph V $13ph - a lot when you calculate 2-3 full days. The granny only does it for some extra 'play money' and because she genuinely loves kids and hates being bored all day (she used to work in corporate world). She doesn't look or act 70, that's for sure. She is also registered with several babysitting agencies, not just advertised privately.

I may only do this until a spot became available at LDC, unless it was going really well (and I could afford it long term). I also don't like putting a bub in LDC before they are 1 either - just personal preference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have a trial day with each of them and then choose, I'm sure you'll know after spending a day with each of them