+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pregnancy management fees

I'm just having a huge whinge about the costs of seeing an obstetrician! I pay $130 per month for private health insurance, yet none of the pre-delivery appointments etc are covered. I have seen my OB at 11, 16, 20 and 24 weeks ($180 a pop), plus a different OB at 12 and 19 weeks for the morph scans ($240 a pop). From now on I have to go at 28, 32, 35, 37, 39, 40 weeks, all at $180 a pop, of which I get back about $80 from Medicare, even the $240 ones only got me back $80.

And I've just received a bill for the pregnancy management fee on top of all this??? OUCH!! What is this fee for when we're already paying a small fortune for uber-regular visits and health insurance to cover the delivery? Is anyone else feeling like this whole thing is costing a crazy amount of money? All this for an ob and a private hospital room, when public patients pay nothing? It's stressing me out! DH keeps suggesting that we should just skip some appointments, but I think my OB would strike us off her already-very-busy books!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you registered for the medicare safety net? We have to do ivf and it annoys me how much you have to pay yet your private health wont cover anything. How much was the management fee if you dont mind me asking¿

April 2012 Cancelled ivf cycle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do feel your pain. I went private with my first, and whilst I had a very straight forward labour and delivery I do feel it was worth it. Although am going to a birth centre this time (which I probably wouldnt of done if my first experience hadnt been so good, and my obstetrician so amazing!).

The management fee could be paid of installments between 20-32weeks with my obestrician so that was one god send, not worrying about a lump sum of $3000 at 20 weeks! I also paid $100 per appt.

I looked at it like I am paying for their expertise IF I need it, hopefully I dont. But my obstetrician was SO reassuring to DH and I as first time parents, kept me calm. I think the managemetn fee covers insurance? (I THINK!)

I am going public/birth centre now, and I miss my appointments with my obestrician. it was nice seeing him so regularly! I wont get a private room this time, and if I need an obs during labour/delivery it will be someone I likely havent met.

So public vs private both have their pros and cons for each person, and each pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep it sucks huh. All private obs charge these fees. I paid for my initital consult, 12 week scan and 20 week scan, then my management fee was $2150. I then have to pay a gap of $1050 for delivery of the baby. The reason private health doesnt cover these scans or management fee is because you arent an inpatient at the private hospital.

Also, the medicare safety net is capped for the management fee so that doesnt make a huge difference either. I got $460 back. Yep thats right. A stinkin $460. The lady at medicare couldnt get over it haha. At least all of these fees do add to the safety net, so you do reach the threshold quicker, but you dont get 80% back like most people think.

It does all count towards tax time though, so make sure you keep all your receipts and claim them from the tax man

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds about right Im afraid My PHI is $280 a month and I still pay per visit plus the management fee, and all scans.
    I think most are like that. I have heard of some management fees covering all the visits too, but they tend to be a lot higher.

Just another thing, I know mine won't cover an epidural as an anaethitist has to do that, and it doesn't cover the paed if bub needs to bee seen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard about the safety net, but had no idea that I had to register for it, just assumed that it would come into play automatically. I had better go and have a look about that.

The pregnancy management fee is $800. I've just googled and found that some city OBs charge much more than that!!

I feel so much for people having to go through IVF and similar. The expense must be unbelieveable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good point RWW, I paid $200 for the paed to see DS before we left the hospital and if I wanted an epidual it was an extra $500 (DH joked it would be my xmas present if I wanted one lol!).

I also had to pay for my bloods and then do the medicare thing!

Someone suggested to me keeping your receipts til you have paid your management fee (whcih will def take you over the safety net). Submitting your receipt for m/f, and then submitting all your other appt. receipts which will get you more back for each appt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryGirl77 View Post
    I have heard about the safety net, but had no idea that I had to register for it, just assumed that it would come into play automatically. I had better go and have a look about that.

The pregnancy management fee is $800. I've just googled and found that some city OBs charge much more than that!!

I feel so much for people having to go through IVF and similar. The expense must be unbelieveable.
    You dont have to register as an individual, that is done automatically. You only have to register as a couple (ie if your husband wants the benefits of you reaching the threshold). So dont worry, you will still be eligable. When you go into medicare and claim it they will see if you have reached the threshold, and work out your rebate for you. But as I said in my post, the management fees are capped. At least with what you paid you should get half back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, some of those management fees are extreme!! But they're not actually FOR anything are they?! We pay for each visit and then pay for the hospital (through health insurance and the gap), so what on earth is this fee for?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Uh-Oh View Post
    Good point RWW, I paid $200 for the paed to see DS before we left the hospital and if I wanted an epidual it was an extra $500 (DH joked it would be my xmas present if I wanted one lol!).

I also had to pay for my bloods and then do the medicare thing!

Someone suggested to me keeping your receipts til you have paid your management fee (whcih will def take you over the safety net). Submitting your receipt for m/f, and then submitting all your other appt. receipts which will get you more back for each appt.
    That same thing was suggested to me, but they go off the date the service was offered, not the date you lodge them. (we tried everything we could with all our IVF cycles, nothing worked haha)